PDA

View Full Version : Source for lumber in SW Michigan

Drew Pavlak
12-12-2006, 1:33 PM
Anyone have a source for lumber in SW Michigan that they would like to share? I am finishing my basement and have a mantel I would like to build and I am having trouble locating lumber that is thick enough with out having to glue it all up.

I would like the top to be 4" X 6" X 72" and then the legs will be 4" X 3" X 50". Only way I can describe what I am going to build is by calling it "Amish Barn Beam".

I am not concerned with it splitting, and I would like something with a little grain and color, Oak, Cherry, Walnut. Not really interested in pine.

Anything anyone could clue me into would be appreciated. Looking to buy it maybe this spring/winter.

Thanks,
Drew

Greg Robbins
12-12-2006, 1:36 PM
Johnson's Workbench in Charlotte might have just what you're looking for.

www.theworkbench.com (http://www.theworkbench.com)

Lars Thomas
12-12-2006, 1:39 PM
I've been happy with stock from this guy (Steve)

http://www.hickoryandoak.com/

John Bailey
12-12-2006, 1:39 PM
Johnson's have a store in Grand Rapids and South Bend. They may be closer for you.

John

Drew Pavlak
12-12-2006, 1:56 PM
Is it even feasable to get one piece, or should I just forget about it and glue it up? Glueing it up offers more possibilities and cost will probably be less as well. I am not worried about cracks forming, I am a little concerned with it warping and twisting though from the temperature and moisture changes we get in Michigan.

I just found the Hickory & Oak place and I may have to call them, Johnsons I have talked with in the past, but it didn't sound like they had anything that thick.

Thanks,
Drew.

larry merlau
12-12-2006, 2:05 PM
for steve, drew, have dealt with him on drying and gettin lumber from him as well.. very reasonable and used to be a member here. he has a web page that you can check out. could easily custom cut what you want.

Jerry Strojny
12-12-2006, 2:26 PM
It may be a little far, but these guys have some great mantel pieces that may fit the style your looking for. Just a thought.

Kettle Moraine Hardwoods - SE Wisconsin
http://www.kmhardwoods.com/

Michael Cody
12-12-2006, 2:47 PM
Is it even feasable to get one piece, or should I just forget about it and glue it up?
Drew.

It's possible to find a slab like that, but why not make it a torsion box, using 4/4 stuff ... it will be a lot lighter making attaching it easier, using commonly available wood also. Plus it won't twist, warp, or crack. You could even make it out ply and veneer it.

Besides the guy in Decatur, there are 2-3 between Ionia and Stanton on M-66. The guy just north of Ionia is pretty big and always seems to have a good selection, but not always the cheapest prices. I turn mostly now so I am not up to date on the latest and greatest here, but I have dealt w/Decatur and Ionia mills and had good experiences. There is a site called Parker Hardwoods outside of Charlotte, but I have not dealt with him. He's pretty small I think. There is also a guy in Battle Creek, out on North Avenue (NW side) just north of Morgan road that has a couple of barns full of stuff. He sells slabs and firewood too. Have not stopped in there but I think about it every time I drive by on the way to my mom's. Not knowing your location that gives you a pretty good range. I know also there are some other mills south of Kalamazoo and one in Orangeville (NW of Kalamazoo), one between Richland & Hastings on M43, one in Delton too, but I have not dealt with any of them.

Drew Pavlak
12-12-2006, 3:01 PM
I work in Battle Creek, So I may have to look for that guy over on North Avenue. Thanks for the tip. As for weight and building it out of 1X or plywood, I am reserving that for plan B. I would really like to get a solid slab if possible. I had some old barn beams lined up that my dad had, but they weren't going to be big enough and he didn't want me cutting them up.

Oh well, would have been nice cause they were free.
Drew

Michael Cody
12-12-2006, 3:48 PM
I work in Battle Creek, So I may have to look for that guy over on North Avenue. Thanks for the tip. As for weight and building it out of 1X or plywood, I am reserving that for plan B. I would really like to get a solid slab if possible. I had some old barn beams lined up that my dad had, but they weren't going to be big enough and he didn't want me cutting them up.

Oh well, would have been nice cause they were free.
Drew

Yep grew up in BC -- nice place to be from! If you head out of BC on M-66 North (Capital Avenue) you turn left at the stoplight on Morgan Road ('bout 5 miles north of BC Central High, if you see M-66 Bowl you went to far) and go to the stoplight @ north avenue. Head north(right) about 4-5 miles, just past White Rabbit Road about 1/10 mile or so.. he's up on the hill on the left. You can see the wood in the barn behind the house. I went to Pennfield High 30 years ago and grew up just north of there at the M-66/M-78 Junction.

I know there are guys down around Schoolcraft though... just not where. Also the Decatur mill is not far from you at all so it would be a logical choice too. I also checked woodfinder (http://www.woodfinder.com) and Parker Lumber lists resawn antique beams, etc.. they are in Charlotte and might be worth a call or email. Do a google search for "Parker Lumber Charlotte" and they show up as a woodfinder listing.

Mike Parzych
12-12-2006, 3:59 PM
I was at Hickory and Oak last month and I don't think hey would have anything that big - at least not dry. I would recommend them for anything else though - price AND quality.