PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday's turnings.....

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 10:24 AM
I took yesterday off at the last minute...I've got some vacation I must use or lose...........About noon I went to the shop.....Couldn't find any wood to redo a salt and pepper shaker for some friends Christmas gifts....erg.....then dawned on me I didn't have the rubber plug or the ss shaker end either.............

So..Here's what I turned

The one with the light blue inset stone is padauck(sp?) with blue lace agate inset.

THe one with the the darker inset is again padauck with snow flake obsedian inset.

The global shaped one is birdseye maple.

The last one with the neatly figured wood is made of yew. I thought about the guy I'm giving this to the whole time I was turning it. It is so appropriate. I was elk hunting with my closest friends. I'd been there for a week and after a week of climbing up and down those mountains chasing the elusive bull elk my body was starting to refuse to function. One of my buddies a transplanted Nebraska farm boy came in to hunt the weekend. He said...Come on ....I know this little hunt...it's easy.....I won't kill you.....Most of the morning was quite enjoyable....Then just before noon we met back up and he said there's any easy way out of here. Follow me....The yew here comes up out of the ground ...bends over then reenters the earth only to come back up again. Now picture 400 yards of this stuff....a natural picket fence.....every 18" another waist high picket fence to cross.....400 yards of it......It took us about 40 minutes to cover that 400 yards. We'd dropped down into this steepwalled canyon to get to this yew thicket so going back out the way we came in wasn't an option. When we got to camp we were laughing about our adventure he stated that keeping ahead of me wasn't difficult as he knew if I caught up to him I"d kick his butt! I woudn't have...I was too exhausted......:confused:

Jon Shively
12-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Well Ken, as you know, I am very knew to this turning situation and this forum. But like you, as I am turning some pens for my family my mind does think who is getting this pen and the resemblance of the pen with their characteristics comes out! Christmas ornament kits came in last night, hope to do some Saturday, the kaleidoscopes for the niece and nephew hopefully will arrive this week for Sunday turning. Those stoppers look great.

Paul Engle
12-12-2006, 10:32 AM
I been hunting here since 1958 and it ain't got any easier. Now the bottles stoppers really look nice and it makes them special when you attach a great time in the woods with a great time in the shop... Nice work Ken:D . So ya didn't get an Elk either huh? :o Maybe next year...:D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Paul.........We haven't elk hunted since 1999. We hunted on foot and used horses and mules to pack the elk out. There was 6 of us and the guy who owned the horses and mules got too old to hunt. The rest of us couldn't or wouldn't make the financial sacrifice to own the pack animals though the rest of us paid for the annual feeding expenses of the mules and horses. I'm not sure where Sagle Idaho is but the moutains where we hunt are extremely steep....2000 ft change in elevation or more in 1 1/2 miles. I've seen young strong men try to pack an elk out on their backs.....Not many are successful. In 2000 I broke my back. I'm not the same guy anymore. I might be able to ride a horse for a short distance but if I did I'd be stoved up for a week afterwords. Sadly....very sadly.....my elk hunting days are over......We camped at an elevation of 7,000 feet...drove into camp..hunted the last 10 days of the season ......often shoveled snow to set the tents......wood stoves...cots.....I miss camp life and sharing that dangerous winter time hunting experience with the 5 greatest guys in the world. I was the big drinker in camp...Once I had two beers in one evening.....We hunted hard....enjoyed the hunt more than the kill.........As difficult as the hunt was.....the minute you pulled the trigger....the real work began!

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Nice stuff, Ken. Very nice.

Your pics are much improved lately.

Is that a new camera? Or have you finally read the manual?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 10:56 AM
No Andy that's still my wife's Olympus.....but I changed places where I was photographing with some different light....and am using my tripod everytime.....I've just kept trying to find the answer.....that Olympus takes good photos.....it's just the shutter speed is WAY TOO LONG.

John Hart
12-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Wow...nicely done Mr Elkless Fitzgerald!!!:D

I really like that snowflake obsidian padauk one....not only the stone..but the form is cool too. And I'm a big fan of padauk...although it burns my nose and I'm too stupid to wear a face mask.:o

David Fried
12-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Very nice Ken ... you've been holding out too!

I hope brought home some Yew to turn!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks John....I'm surprised you didn't pickup on the fact that I'm horseless and muleless too!:D

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Very nice work Ken! Like the snowflake one best just because there is more of a contrast. Enjoyed the hunting story also!

Keith Burns
12-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Ken, very nice topper stoppers !! You sure took to this turning thing like a duck takes to water:) :)

John Hart
12-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks John....I'm surprised you didn't pickup on the fact that I'm horseless and muleless too!:D

:rolleyes: I avoid Horse-Talk with you at all costs. You are a devious man. :p But now that you are starting to get a taste for Lacquer...I think that maybe we can start partying together! ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 12:18 PM
:rolleyes: I avoid Horse-Talk with you at all costs. You are an devious man. :p But now that you are starting to get a taste for Lacquer...I think that maybe we can start partying together! ;)

(hic)............

David Fried
12-12-2006, 12:28 PM
(hic)............

Obviously a private party so I will go home and commiserate with my salad bowl finsh.

Karl Laustrup
12-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Ken, I've been watching your turnings and I must say you are turning out some beautiful work.

Remember how you got your lathe Ken? :eek: :D Just thinking out loud here, but does UPS ship horses? ;) :D

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Ken, I've been watching your turnings and I must say you are turning out some beautiful work.

Remember how you got your lathe Ken? :eek: :D Just thinking out loud here, but does UPS ship horses? ;) :D

Karl

Yup....I remember how I got the lathe......My wife remembers too Karl....if I was you I'd pipe down a little about it. She is already aware of where Andy, John Hart and John M. live.......you could be on her list next.....:D

Karl......Luckily for John...UPS doesn't ship horses.......:eek: :rolleyes: :D

David Fried
12-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Karl......Luckily for John...UPS doesn't ship horses.......:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Ken,

Try Wells Fargo. As I recall, they offer a Pony Express.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Ken,

Try Wells Fargo. As I recall, they offer a Pony Express.

Now John is having a case of the cold sweats David!:rolleyes: :D

John Hart
12-12-2006, 1:19 PM
John Looking down....shaking his head....sniffing some Behlen's Salad Bowl Finish, muttering, "Ken....You are indeed a pirate" :p

By the way...Mr. Fried....That Pony Express remark was very clever.;) Please Forget it. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 2:02 PM
John......you using my name and the word "evil" could put me in harm's way. Could you please use someother word?.....Call me a scoundrel....anything......but in today's climate when you use the word "evil" .........I hope nobody's following me when I leave home today.:rolleyes::D

John Hart
12-12-2006, 2:13 PM
Don't know what you mean Ken...I called you a pirate. yo ho! (hic):o

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 2:14 PM
.....rotfl .....

Barry Stratton
12-12-2006, 2:34 PM
Great stoppers Ken! you are turning into a production machine.

and John......get the horse..........they eat good next to mashed potatoes:eek:

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2006, 3:44 PM
Very pretty and nicely done Ken.!!!! I'm surprised that the LOYL has given you any time at the lathe since she's getting into it now. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2006, 4:43 PM
Those are beauties Ken. Nice work.

Ed Scolforo
12-12-2006, 5:22 PM
Ken, really nice work!

Tom Sherman
12-12-2006, 6:29 PM
Very cool Ken, nice stoppers. byt the way I know a guy with a horse trailer and a little bit of time.

John Hart
12-12-2006, 7:54 PM
....byt the way I know a guy with a horse trailer and a little bit of time.

HEY!!!!! Now cut it out!:p

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 7:58 PM
Very cool Ken, nice stoppers. byt the way I know a guy with a horse trailer and a little bit of time.

Tom............What's he charge?.........I'm betting we could get a fund raising drive and buy John's daughters a horsey or two and get them delivered!;)

John Hart
12-12-2006, 8:06 PM
Yeah! Great idea! And Barry Stratton can help me put them next to the mashed potatoes!;)

I wonder how horsey jerky would be? Should you smoke it first? Is it stringy? So many questions.....:rolleyes:

Tom Sherman
12-12-2006, 8:48 PM
Now John you just couldn't make jerky out of em and look your loving daughter in the eye could you.

John Hart
12-12-2006, 8:52 PM
No....You're probably right Tom. Then I'd have to share. She really likes jerky!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 8:59 PM
But John.........do you really think they'd let you make jerky out of Trigger and Buttermilk?:confused: .......out of Silver and Champion?:confused: ..........You talk really mean when you're under the influence of lacquer:rolleyes: ....but with those two little girls sitting there crying ......."Daddy...please don't!"......You'd cave in and be framing part of that barn/shop/studio for horse stalls!:D Admit it Dad!

Barry Stratton
12-12-2006, 9:00 PM
Yeah! Great idea! And Barry Stratton can help me put them next to the mashed potatoes!;)

I wonder how horsey jerky would be? Should you smoke it first? Is it stringy? So many questions.....:rolleyes:

I'm there for ya John. Jerky is jerky. I'd go with a bunch of varieties. Stringyness/toughness will depend on the age of the beast and cut of meat........

John Hart
12-12-2006, 9:09 PM
....but with those two little girls sitting there crying ......."Daddy...please don't!"......You'd cave in and be framing part of that barn/shop/studio for horse stalls!:D Admit it Dad!

Naw...Sheesh Ken. I'd just tie a horn to its head and say, "Hey look at the Elk that Mr Fitzgerald shot!.......uh....back in 1999." Barry will help me. I'm not worried.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 9:14 PM
Naw...Sheesh Ken. I'd just tie a horn to its head and say, "Hey look at the Elk that Mr Fitzgerald shot!.......uh....back in 1999." Barry will help me. I'm not worried.;)

Make it a large branch antlered horn would you please?
:rolleyes:

Barry Stratton
12-12-2006, 9:18 PM
Make it a large branch antlered horn would you please?
:rolleyes:

Why does "spike" come to mind??? Nice stoppers Ken!

John Hart
12-12-2006, 9:21 PM
Why does "spike" come to mind??? .....

Yeah...ya know...I'd really hate to be dishonest about this. I like you Ken....but a guy has to draw the line somewhere.:D

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2006, 9:29 PM
Ahem!

Will you guys please stay on topic. This is the turning forum ya know.

Every fifth post must contain at least one reference to something spinnable.

Like gouge, bowl, wood. That kinda stuff.

Oh heck, I guess I'll have to show ya.

Put the horse in a bowl with the mashed potatoes.

Carry on.

Sheesh - this mod duty is rough!

John Hart
12-12-2006, 9:39 PM
Sorry Andy:o

Hey guys...do you think I can use mesquite shavings to smoke horse jerky?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 9:43 PM
Ahem!

Will you guys please stay on topic. This is the turning forum ya know.

Every fifth post must contain at least one reference to something spinnable.

Like gouge, bowl, wood. That kinda stuff.

Oh heck, I guess I'll have to show ya.

Put the horse in a bowl with the mashed potatoes.

Carry on.

Sheesh - this mod duty is rough!

I like it! The guys who introduced me first to turning...then exotics....then lacquer fumes..........and who's whining about staying "On Topic". After all this is the "Turner Forum".....nobody can stay on topic after spinning.....

John....we were talking about a round...cylindrical.......horn weren't we...I think Barry mentioned the word "spike"........Isn't a spike kind of round cylindrical object.....I'll be we couldn turn a spike!......A Spike Contest....Hey! That should have been a precursor to the "Bonker Contest"......pass me some more lacquer would you John..Please?:rolleyes: :D

John Hart
12-12-2006, 9:47 PM
The kids think I'm nuts sitting here laughing at the computer.:D

John Hart
12-12-2006, 9:48 PM
oops....sorry....The kids think I'm nuts sitting here laughing at the computer....which is about 50 ft from my lathe and my lacquer (hic):o

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2006, 9:50 PM
They won't be laughing when they find out the evil things you're plotting to turn those sweet furry horses into.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 10:32 PM
John.....I just got another dose of exotics and lacquer....I've got this vision in my mind....You in your turning smock..... standing with your big scraper....I forget your name for it.......at the lathe.......with a horse carcass turning at a slow speed while you TURN equine jerky off it.......maybe a fire under the lathe bed with mesquite shavings..smoking it as you turn it.......

Andy you noticed the words and phrases.....scraper....turning smock....lathe.......turning at a slow speed....lathe .....turn

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey guys....another idea.....give me your addresses.....Maybe we need to use some of those bottle stoppers I turned.....and put those bottles away!

John Hart
12-13-2006, 7:02 AM
.........and put those bottles away!

Falling on the wagon Ken?:eek: John Looking Down.....shaking his h....Oh look!...someone dropped a quarter! :)

Glenn Hodges
12-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the stories Ken, I remember those days back when also.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Yesterday.......I stopped by a local medical center to do some work. I bumped into my buddy. I gave him that yew stopper. We both laughed and I showed him this thread. He put it on his desk and told me ....he'd think about that little hike every time he pulled the stopper from a bottle.

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2006, 12:51 PM
I bumped into my buddy. I gave him that yew stopper.

Well, I hope you didn't hurt your buddy when you "bumped into him". And BTW, when you give your buddy a yew stopper that you turned? Does that give him the right to stop yew? :p :rolleyes:

Dennis Peacock
12-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Falling on the wagon Ken?:eek: John Looking Down.....shaking his h....Oh look!...someone dropped a quarter! :)

Hey John,

Put the round quarter down and find them girls a horsey to ride, hug, squeeze, and take care of. :p :D

John Hart
12-13-2006, 2:49 PM
Hey John,

Put the round quarter down and find them girls a horsey to ride, hug, squeeze, and take care of. :p :D

First off Mr. Peacock....I'm going to need that quarter if I get a horse. A whole bunch of quarters.....More quarters than what is needed for a Mayonaise Lathe!!

'Sides....The neigh neigh neighbors have 12 horses just dying for a hug and squeeze and taking care of. Those horses are only 300 feet from my Lathe and lacquer(hic) and turning blanks and Big Bertha and the Ugly Stick and lacquer(hic):o

Glenn Clabo
12-13-2006, 3:17 PM
First off Mr. Peacock....
if I get a horse.

Take note everyone...we're wearing him down!

Andy Hoyt
12-13-2006, 3:26 PM
First off Mr. Peacock....
if I get a horse. Take note everyone...we're wearing him down! Way to go Glenn! A few more catches like that and we got him.

Keith Burns
12-13-2006, 3:36 PM
John, with that round quarter, you could get a quarter horse ! Some people, I'll tell ya...................

Glenn Clabo
12-13-2006, 3:39 PM
How bout this new avatar John?

Paul Engle
12-13-2006, 3:52 PM
Sagle is 90 miles north of you. I have hunted the Wallace area, Riggins area on horse in the late 80's. so dry you can hear a twig snap 2 miles away. The Trinities in so central Id above Mtn Home where I was raised great Elk area up by Fairfield / Ketchum. Galena Mtn on the east slope Salmon and Chalis and also Soda Springs. My inlaws used me to chase the game around the mountains and they would sit and wait ....... till I got tracked by a cougar and great uncle shot him 40 feet from me on Soldier Mtn winter of 66'. mate was up a draw another 100 feet be hind him ( the mate ) and brother in law got the female from 500 yds away . (he was some shot) ,from a another draw on the next mtn over. My family had been watching me the whole time. Never went back to Soldier Mtn....Move to sagle in 89 and hit an elk in July up Pack River. So far havn't ever shot one ...... lots of deer and prong horn tho. had timber sale in the Owyhee mtns and got prong horn ever year I got tag for. somthing about a salt lick ......the rancher put out for the grazing cattle ( Owen ranches ).
two heart attacks and dont hunt so much any more. actually a trip to Viet Nam pretty much ended it all cept for the Riggins trip.....

John Hart
12-13-2006, 5:03 PM
I graduated from Mtn Home High School and spent all my spare time in the Trinities. But never on a horse.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2006, 8:11 PM
How bout this new avatar John?

Glenn........You got the wrong animal.....The ears aren't long enough on that one!:rolleyes: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2006, 8:20 PM
Paul...........I've not seen any cats but I've seen their tracks. Twice while hunting.........I've been heading back to camp and cut my earlier tracks going in.....I found bear tracks over the top of my earlier tracks in the snow......Both times I followed the bear tracks just to see how far they tracked me. They would follow for 100 yards to 400 yards and then wander off. When I backtracked the bear tracks...in both cases the bear had been side hilling....cut my tracks....followed my tracks down hill for 100-400 yards....and then went on it's way sidehilling again. Where we hunt the roads are on top and the elk are in the bottoms. So you start out down hill in the morning and that evening when you're good and tired you get to pull your fat body out. We cross a creek at the bottom about 1 1/2 miles from the road. The year that I ran Bloomsday with a couple of friends it took me 72 minutes to run 12 k......I never crossed that creek and got to camp in less than 2 hours. Tough steep!

John Hart
12-13-2006, 8:22 PM
Glenn........You got the wrong animal.....The ears aren't long enough on that one!:rolleyes: :D

Why, I never!!!!:eek:

Soooo...whatcha trying to say Mr. Fitzgerald? You think I'm a democrat?:D Oh...by the way....Nice Bottle Stoppers!!!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2006, 8:24 PM
Thanks for throwing the "bottle stoppers" comment in to keep Andy off our backs!

Tom Sherman
12-13-2006, 8:54 PM
Yew guys better stopper, the Ol Grey Mare's head is spinnin

John Miliunas
12-14-2006, 12:32 AM
Well, dangit Ken...For someone who was so new to turning so very recently, I think you're exhibiting skills and talents hidden for way too long, my friend! I just did my first stoppers a week or so ago and I daresay they didn't turn out nearly as nice as the one you have here! :) Bravo, my friend. Bravo! :D :cool: