PDA

View Full Version : Been accused of holding out

Frank Kobilsek
12-12-2006, 8:58 AM
OK, Ken called me to the carpet yesterday so here is another contribution to his visual abyseration.

Curly Maple, brass inlaid, wood thank you gift for the co-worker that had the pile of wood dumped at his place for firewood to heat his shop. I have a pallet full of big blocks of this stuff. I think I wood gloated the pile when I got it.

About 10" diameter and 4 + to 5" tall. Sealed with Danish oil, then 7 or 8 coats of Minwax wipe on poly, and Beall buffed.

First larger piece to be DNA'd and it was cored with a Woodcut Bowl saver (this was the 'middle' bowl)

Still have work to do on photography.

Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 9:20 AM
Frank....I'm so glad I called you out! A warning.....I'll be near Pontiac Illinois for Christmas.....Hide your wood pile! I drilled a few gas storage wells around Mendota! I know how to get there!:D

Very nice bowl Frank!

Paul Engle
12-12-2006, 9:29 AM
Nice work Frank, nice shape and love that poly wipe on and the inlay is perfect ... Better watch that Ken guy..... not all Idaho guys are potato heads:eek: :D wonder if i could turn a spud ......:confused:

Frank Kobilsek
12-12-2006, 9:32 AM
Ken,
I live just west of Mendota, just north of all those natural gas domes. If the in-laws start driving you crazy run on up to Mendota, I'll be in the shop every day except Christmas day. Day job is shut down 22nd till the 2nd.

Thanks

Frank

Mark Pruitt
12-12-2006, 9:55 AM
wonder if i could turn a spud ......:confused:
Turning it should prove fairly easy. It's drying it out that would present a terrific challenge.:p

Mark Pruitt
12-12-2006, 9:56 AM
Frank, I really, really like that brass inlay thing. I'd like to learn that at some time in the near future. Excellent bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2006, 10:19 AM
That is a beauty Frank. Nice work.

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Nice stuff, Frank.

My guess is that there are others like me who would like to learn how you do the brass inlay.

It's very cool and adds a huge touch of class.

Steve Schlumpf
12-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Very nice work Frank! I like the heft of the piece! Like everyone else so far - would like to see how you do the inlay.

Keith Burns
12-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Great job on this bowl Frank. Great form, finish and detail:) :) DNA is great stuff !!
Now Ken, well Ken is Ken, hanging his head, etc, etc, etc.

Frank Kobilsek
12-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

The brass is easy. If you have ever filled a hole in a turning with coffee grounds or sawdust it is exactly the same process. Make the groove and apply a paste wax in and around the groove to prevent the CA from soaking in a staining the surrounding area. Position the piece so the material (brass, stone, coffee grounds, etc) will stay in the indentation. Fill with inlay material of your choice, carefull to leave the material a little proud of the surface, but just a little. Drip thin CA into the groove. Let cure. Now back to the lathe and either cut or sand the excess fill off. This must be done as soon as the CA kicks. If you wait the combo can get very very hard when using brass. As you approach smooth and level stop and throughly blow out the nooks and cranies. You may want to add a little more fill to the big holes or just top coat with thick CA. Now finish smoothing the inlay to the level of the wood. Brass will shine at the surface, but brass covered by CA will look dull.

One tip: shake a magnet in your brass key shavings to remove the peices of wire brush they use to deburr the keys. Its really difficult to cut or sand off a piece of that wire sticking out of a turning.

Honestly I use the brass alot because its much cheaper (free) than the semi precious stones such as azurite, Malachite and tuorquise. Brass is a little more difficult to work with than the others but the price is right.

Thanks again.

Frank

Frank Kobilsek
12-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Keith
Like I said I got something for Ken everyday this week. Thanks
Frank

John Hart
12-13-2006, 6:11 AM
Very nice lookin' bowl Frank. Looking forward to more! Thanks for the tip on the key-making finings. I tried grinding my own out of brass hardware, but more went on the floor than in my capture device.:o

Rex Guinn
12-13-2006, 8:39 AM
Frank;
These bowls you are making are great I like the wood used and the finishing.
If you go to http://jamiedonaldsonwoodturner.com web site, he has the directions for a cheap photo setup that you can build that will really improve the pictures. He was a professional photographer for a lot of years.
Rex

Frank Kobilsek
12-13-2006, 8:45 AM
Rex,
Just read your other post and printed Jamie's instruction thanks. I think that will help.
Frank

Tom Sherman
12-13-2006, 8:13 PM
Nice work Frank, bowl looks great and inlay is too cool. We have to keep in mind that poor Ken is under the influence of his newly discovered nemesis(Laquor).