PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Go514x Band Saw Tool Gloat

richard poitras
12-12-2006, 8:54 AM
Just made the plunge and order the Grizzly GO541X band saw, It should be here in a week I will keep everybody informed on my evaluation of the saw and I just wanted to thank Liem for taking the time to talk to me about his 514x …..

John Bailey
12-12-2006, 9:14 AM
Congrats on the new saw Richard. And, by all means, post pictures and thoughts about the saw when you get it.

John

Liem Tran
12-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Richard I'm glad you finally made the leap. You won't regret it. I like mine even more since the last time we talked. I replaced the original Taiwanese bearings with Nachi Japanese bearings and they are awesome! I found 2 blades that work very very well for me. They are both TimberWolf blades, 1/2" asc series 3tpi hook tooth and 3/16" 4tpi hook tooth. These 2 blades cover pretty everthing for me. I have many other TimberWolf blades but these 2 seem to work best. Hope this helps.

Liem

richard poitras
12-12-2006, 1:10 PM
Liem:
Why did you replace the bearings? For performance reasons or faulty? and if it is for performance how much better are they and how much did they cost? Also how hard were they to replace? And have you tried any of the carbide blades on it? …. thanks … Richard

Liem Tran
12-12-2006, 3:31 PM
Liem:
Why did you replace the bearings? For performance reasons or faulty? and if it is for performance how much better are they and how much did they cost? Also how hard were they to replace? And have you tried any of the carbide blades on it? …. thanks … Richard

Richard, I replaced the bearings for better performance, the originals, not sure if faulty or not, squeeled like a pig and did not spin very freely. They may have worn prematurely. The new bearings made a world of difference. They're super quiet, spin very smoothly and seem to get less pitch build up. I replaced a total of 9, it cost me $6 each. Replacing them is pretty straight forward, you shouldn't have a problem. I haven't tried carbide blades yet, they're too expensive for my needs.

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2006, 3:35 PM
Congrats on the new saw Richard.!!!! By all means post some pics and a review after you've had time to tinker with the new saw for a bit.