PDA

View Full Version : NOVA Precision Midi Chuck recommendation?

Keel McDonald
12-12-2006, 7:20 AM
Any of you Creekers out there have any experience using the NOVA Precision Midi Chuck (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5185&WeeklySpecial=True)? By all accounts, it seems to be pretty much the same as the SuperNova2 (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5199), with a major exception. I can operate and change the stock using only one hand with the SuperNova2, versus using two with the Midi Chuck. Is it really worth the extra $ to have this feature? Nice, yes, but necessary?

I guess my real question is this. If you use the NOVA Precision Midi Chuck, would you recommend it?

Bonnie Campbell
12-12-2006, 7:46 AM
I have a Nova Midi. It's a good chuck, but I'd take a one handed tightening operation over it. It can get complicated trying to hold your piece and tightening.... spend a bit more and get the Super is my opinion.

Corey Hallagan
12-12-2006, 8:31 AM
I have it Keel. Frankly I don't understand what is so hard to operate the tommy bars. They work just fine. I like it very much but if I think and even better chuck would be the Nova G3 for just a few more dollars and it does not use Tommy Bars. Good luck.

Corey

Sue Wise
12-12-2006, 8:41 AM
I also have the Nova Midi and I like it. I have also used other chucks that do not use the Tommy Bars and I think they are easier to use.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-12-2006, 9:25 AM
Keel.......I have the SN2 and it's sure nice when remounting something to use one hand to support the project and one hand to tighten.

Andy Hoyt
12-12-2006, 11:03 AM
I've used an SN2 (if that's what Dick Parr has) once and I found that the darn thing is geared such that righty tighty lefty loosey does not apply. Something, that for me, was most discombobulating. I do imagine though that this is a feature that one gets used to over time.

When choosing a chuck, I think an equally important element of the purchasing decision has to be what jaws are available and which of those are interchangeable among other chucks I have or may one day have. On that point, I think Nova does a better job than the Oneway stable of chucks. I'm not too familiar with the others that are out there.

Adam Bauer
12-12-2006, 11:33 AM
I've got the Nova Midi and I like it. Sometimes having to use the two bars is a slight annoyance. However, almost all of the time you can get it in a position where you can use one hand to tighten the chuck while using the other hand to hold the workpiece. Plus with the nova chucks (and this might be the case for other brands but I don't know for sure) all of the jaws (with one or two exceptions) fit all of the other nova chucks. So...if you have the midi chuck and buy 4 different sets of jaws and then down the road buy a super nova you can still use the same jaw sets.

Keel McDonald
12-12-2006, 12:23 PM
I've used an SN2 (if that's what Dick Parr has) once and I found that the darn thing is geared such that righty tighty lefty loosey does not apply. Something, that for me, was most discombobulating. I do imagine though that this is a feature that one gets used to over time.

When choosing a chuck, I think an equally important element of the purchasing decision has to be what jaws are available and which of those are interchangeable among other chucks I have or may one day have. On that point, I think Nova does a better job than the Oneway stable of chucks. I'm not too familiar with the others that are out there.

That's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward buying one. And, as Adam mentioned, all the jaws fit all the other chucks they make. It just seemed foolish to spend $200 for a particular chuck (SuperNova2) when one for $69 (Nova Midi) would accomplish the same thing (except for the 2 Tommie Bars).

Thanks for the replies.

Dale Gregory
12-12-2006, 5:13 PM
That's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward buying one. And, as Adam mentioned, all the jaws fit all the other chucks they make. It just seemed foolish to spend $200 for a particular chuck (SuperNova2) when one for $69 (Nova Midi) would accomplish the same thing (except for the 2 Tommie Bars).

Thanks for the replies.

My thoughts exactly! I'll throw another option in. The http://www.grizzly.com/products/g8784, $43 and basically looks like the Nova Midi in design. Any feedback from you all on the Grizzly vs. the Nova Midi?

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2006, 5:22 PM
I agree with Dale. I have two of the $43 Grizzly's and am going to get the $99 because it is the same as my Vicmarc. Good chucks for the money.

Corey Hallagan
12-13-2006, 12:03 AM
I have the Midi and the Grizzly chucks. I like the Grizzly for a back up but the Nova Midi is a much better chuck, especially for 99.00 and you can use most of the jaws from Teknatool on it.

Corey

Dale Gregory
12-13-2006, 12:14 AM
I have the Midi and the Grizzly chucks. I like the Grizzly for a back up but the Nova Midi is a much better chuck, especially for 99.00 and you can use most of the jaws from Teknatool on it.

Corey

Actually, Woodcraft has the Midi on sale for $69.99 which is a good price on this chuck. I'm going to check them out tomorrow.

Ben Rafael
12-13-2006, 10:49 AM
I have the nova midi. It came for free with my lathe. I also have a oneway talon. The price difference between the 2 is big, but IMO the Talon is worth every penny. If the midi was cheap enough I would buy it just to have an extra chuck or 2. But $69 is not cheap enough.

Bob Noles
12-13-2006, 5:19 PM
Get the G3 if you can swing it.... you'll be glad you did :D

Jim Underwood
12-13-2006, 5:41 PM
I have the Nova Midi Chuck and really like it. It's a far cry from using faceplates...:)

I don't find the tommy bars to be much of a drawback, although I wouldn't mind trying the one handed scenario....

The other drawback that no one seems to have mentioned is that it only has a 3/8 range of holding.. (maybe that's a standard range?) That has bit me once or twice.

I'd like to get a chuck with a little more range... The G3 sounds nice.

Does anyone besides Woodcraft carry the Nova Chucks?

Bob Noles
12-13-2006, 6:44 PM
I have the Nova Midi Chuck and really like it. It's a far cry from using faceplates...:)

I don't find the tommy bars to be much of a drawback, although I wouldn't mind trying the one handed scenario....

The other drawback that no one seems to have mentioned is that it only has a 3/8 range of holding.. (maybe that's a standard range?) That has bit me once or twice.

I'd like to get a chuck with a little more range... The G3 sounds nice.

Does anyone besides Woodcraft carry the Nova Chucks?

Jim,

Check here http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WC&Category_Code=CHU

It is where I got mine and he is a great guy to deal with.

Jim Underwood
12-13-2006, 6:46 PM
Durn...

Woodcraft has such a good deal on these right now.... I was hoping maybe someone else had a sale on 'em too...

Keel McDonald
12-14-2006, 7:27 AM
Jim,

Check here http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WC&Category_Code=CHU

It is where I got mine and he is a great guy to deal with.

Bob,

That's a pretty good deal on the G3, not to mention the other chucks. Thanks for posting.

Thanks to all for replying. I thought I had my mind made up on the Midi chuck, but I think I've been swayed to buy the G3. I hate it when I spend money on something only to discover I wish I had spent a little extra and gotten what I really wanted/needed. At $129, that won't necessarily break the bank. As a side note, does anyone know of any G3's for cheaper?

Charles E. Martin V
12-14-2006, 9:34 AM
Keel, I doubt you'll find it cheaper, the price includes the insert, which other places usually don't do.

Adam Bauer
12-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Keel,

One more thing to consider that I don't see having been mentioned yet is what lathe do you have? If you have a midi/mini lathe the G3 or SuperNova might be a bit big. The small lathes have a small enough amount of distance between centers before you add a monster chuck that takes up about 4 of those precious inches. If you have a full size lathe though the bigger chuck is not an issue. Also what kind of materials are you wanting to hold? If you're just interested in small bowls, christmas ornaments, and other small items the midi chuck will serve you well even if you have a big lathe however if you have a bigger lathe and plan on doing hollowforms, platters, large bowls, and other things of that sort, the bigger chuck is a better option.

Keel McDonald
12-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Keel,

One more thing to consider that I don't see having been mentioned yet is what lathe do you have? If you have a midi/mini lathe the G3 or SuperNova might be a bit big. The small lathes have a small enough amount of distance between centers before you add a monster chuck that takes up about 4 of those precious inches. If you have a full size lathe though the bigger chuck is not an issue. Also what kind of materials are you wanting to hold? If you're just interested in small bowls, christmas ornaments, and other small items the midi chuck will serve you well even if you have a big lathe however if you have a bigger lathe and plan on doing hollowforms, platters, large bowls, and other things of that sort, the bigger chuck is a better option.

Adam,

I currently have the Rikon Midi, which is a hefty version of the mini lathes. I also have an older full size lathe, but am considering upgrading at some point in the future. I like the idea of the midi chuck, but don't want to limit myself on what I am able to turn. At the same time, I think the G3 is more versatile and will suit my needs better, both now, and in the future. It seems to me that if I go with the G3, I can still turn all those smaller projects, and have the capability of turning some of the larger projects. Not to mention it will work great with a larger lathe.