PDA

View Full Version : I brought home a new toy ah or tool today

Bart Leetch
11-07-2003, 11:39 PM
This isn't a fancy or high dollar tool but when I compared it to the Delta that cost $300 & had no dust collection ports & had a ribbed aluminum table & lots of plastic I chose the Grizzly G1014Z at $200 it has a cast iron table & dust collection ports & the only plastic on it is the knobs & lower DC port. I could have chosen the G1276 which cost $439 I really like it but its a little big for my shop & wallet.

Here is an interesting fact that I turned up The G1014Z has a 2" pulley on the motor shaft & a 3" pulley on the driven shaft & turns 2300 surface feet per minute for the belt According to Grizzly. Which is slower than the G1276 but the disk is run off of the same shaft so if my math is right 3450 x 2" motor pulley = 1725 divided by the 3" driven pulley = 2300 PM.

This was kinda confusing at first that the SFPM 2300 quoted by Grizzly & the RPM appeared to be 2300 RPM & my figures & formula from the machinists hand book showed the shaft speed to also be 2300 RPM. I know that if I desire to slow this machine down I could put a 1" pulley on the motor shaft & a 2" pulley on the driven shaft & get 1725 SFPM for the belt but I think that would be to slow for the belt even it is fine for the disk. At any rate the machine seems to work just great for roughing wood down to the desired shape quickly with pretty good dust Collection so that is can be finished up by had with not to much work.

aurelio alarcon
11-08-2003, 3:04 AM
nice tool! nice choice!

Edward E Wilson Jr
11-08-2003, 7:29 PM
Am also looking into purchasing the G1014Z. My brother-in-law has used his for sometime and likes it. I have the lower end Delta right now that seems to have a thumping noise that I cannot locate. Use mostly the disk for ending of blanks for pens and pencils.

Interested in knowing how you like it.

Ed

Edward E Wilson Jr
11-08-2003, 7:34 PM
Bart:

Another question. Where did you get it. I am from New Hampshire. Saw it advertised in the Grizzly catalog for $200, but has a $55 shipping charge.

Ed

Bart Leetch
11-08-2003, 8:20 PM
Ed

I purchased my sander at the Grizzly show room in Bellingham.

Using the disk this thing will round the end of a 2x4 from edge to edge in a heart beat using 60 grit & not burn the wood. I used my little Sears 4"x36" & 6" disk sander for roughing parts down to size & will use this sander for the same purpose only it'll take a whole lot less time & have dust collection too. I never use grit smaller than 80 grit because it tends to clog up even when using the Pro-Stik abrasive belt cleaners.

Have you tried checking your belt. Sometimes the seam in the belt is a little to thick or not properly put together & this will cause it to thump. Take the belt off & see if the thumping goes away.

aurelio alarcon
11-08-2003, 9:24 PM
Ed

I purchased my sander at the Grizzly show room in Bellingham.

Using the disk this thing will round the end of a 2x4 from edge to edge in a heart beat using 60 grit & not burn the wood. I used my little Sears 4"x36" & 6" disk sander for roughing parts down to size & will use this sander for the same purpose only it'll take a whole lot less time & have dust collection too. I never use grit smaller than 80 grit because it tends to clog up even when using the Pro-Stik abrasive belt cleaners.

Have you tried checking your belt. Sometimes the seam in the belt is a little to thick or not properly put together & this will cause it to thump. Take the belt off & see if the thumping goes away.

I have a Craftsman 4"x36" & 6" that I use. Mine does pretty well. Mine is cast iron and pretty heavy. I bought it after checking out the same size in the Delta. But the Delta was made out of sheet metal. Mine has two tubes for dust extraction. I don't know how well they work. I don't have a dust extraction set up.

Ken Salisbury
11-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Bart - I edited your post to reduce the picture sizes which makes the thread load faster and look more presentable -- hope you don't mind.

"Your friendly moderator at work !!!