PDA

View Full Version : What's in New Lenox or Crete, IL?

Larry Klaaren
12-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Just wondering if folks could bring me up to speed on woodworking stores and organizations around New Lenox, IL. We are new in the area. I like the community, but haven't made any connections yet other than Lowe's and HD.

I work in Crete and have a lunch hour that I could use to pick items up, so I added that to the list.

Thanks in advance,
Larry

Mike Circo
12-12-2006, 8:52 AM
Well I'm in the FAR northwest suburbs (Algonquin) so don't get far south too often. However I do know that there is a Rockler store in Tinley Park which is fairly close to you.

Also there is a place in Morris that Rockler links in their site. (Rockler.com). Just go to Store Locations and click on the Illinois map.

Enjoy.
Mike

Dan McGuire
12-12-2006, 1:37 PM
Larry,

These stores are probably a little too far to wander too on your lunch, but there is a woodcraft in Lombard I cant remember the exact address right now and there is also Berland's house of tools down in joliet. I have not been to that store, only looked online. If I went there it would be like sending a junkie into a crack den. They carry a full line of woodworking tools.

Also down in Morris there is what used to be woodworkers supply. I think they are now under different managment and the name may have changed the name. They are right on 47 just south of 80. It has been about a year since I went down there, but not a bad place again I am only allowed to look.

Larry Klaaren
12-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks. Crete is about twenty miles east of here, the other way from the towns you mentioned. I should have mentioned that I work two days a week in Orland Park, across the street from Tinley Park.

I haven't seen any woodworking stores while driving around, so I have been starting to wonder. I'll have to do an internet search or check a phonebook. We've been here since July and we don't have one yet.

I'll check Rockler out.

Larry

Chuck Kiser
12-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Larry,

IIRC there is a Rockler on Harlem & 159th. Owl Hardwood is at 4655 W. Southwest Hwy. Both of them are an easy lunch break commute from Orland Park.:D

Chuck

Larry Klaaren
12-13-2006, 10:40 PM
OK - great.

I work at 183rd and Wolf, and my in-laws live in the general area of 151st and Harlem. That will help.

I appreciate it!

Larry

John Mihich
12-14-2006, 3:58 AM
If you are up for a small trip there is a Woodcraft store in Hobart In. It's about 1/2 mile east of I65 on US 30. It's on the north side of 30 next to Pier 1. On the south side there is a hugh shopping mall. Drop the wife off there and you go shoppijng at Woodcraft.

Berlin's house of tools is off of I80 west of you (you'll have to look up the address, I forgot which exit). That store has just about any tool you can imagine.

Neil Clemmons
12-14-2006, 9:56 PM
I'll second the Berlands comment. It's one of the most amazing tool stores you'll find. Leave your wallet at home, though :D

Larry Klaaren
12-15-2006, 10:22 AM
That Berlands store in Joliet is at the Briggs Street exit, just south of I-80 on New Lenox Road. It's about three miles from here through open country. It takes about five minutes to get to that exit. I'll stop by today.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Larry

Russ Massery
12-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Leave your Money or Credit cards at home if your going to Berland's:rolleyes:

Larry Klaaren
12-15-2006, 4:53 PM
Leave your Money or Credit cards at home if your going to Berland's:rolleyes:

I did manage to leave both money and credit credit cards at home. Actually, I spent the money I had before I stopped at Berlands.

They do have a great inventory. One of the workers was showing me their pocketing jigs and chisels. I'll be spending some money there. Can't believe I was driving right by there a couple of times a week and never knew it was back in that set of buildings. They need some signage.

Larry

Russ Massery
12-15-2006, 5:06 PM
Larry, If you work in Crete, there's Crete Lumber. A good seletion of Hardwood lumber. Prices are ok, Just domestic's. I beleve there at 1st & Lumber streets.Just north of Main (Exchange).

Russ