PDA

View Full Version : Festool Junkies

Gary Keedwell
12-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Festool Fanatics Alert!!!

Over at Wood forum there is a few threads from a WOOD editor named Bob Hunter. He is visiting Festool in Germany and has alot of insights. He has pics of the new Domino Bisquit thing-a-ma-jingy.
Just thought I'd give you the "heads-up".

Gary K.

Jim Becker
12-11-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm hoping that Bob Marino will give us a good "close look" at Domino when it becomes viable to do so, too.

Gary Keedwell
12-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Is Bob going to Germany, too?

Gary K.

Dan Clark
12-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Festool has an Interactive Video site at: http://www.festool.de/ipt_domino/. Click on on "English" at the bottom left. Then click on the Domino links that discuss how it works.

At the bottom, click on "Domino Details" and then click on anything that looks like a menu or button. Most of the pics have a "Play Video" button at the bottom left of the pic. It opens a short promo video giving more details.

For example, if you mouse-over "DOMINO details", a menu will pop up. Mouse over the "Applications" menu and a sub-menu will pop up showing a lists of applications where it can be used. It lists things like "Panel joint, mitered", "Panel joint, edgeless", etc. If you select a menu item, a pic with a description pops up. If you click the "Play video" button, you'll see the video explaining the process. I thought "Panel joint, edgeless" video was pretty cool. The "Frame joint, edgeless" does a pretty good job of showing how the trim stop accessory is set up and used.

Happy clicking.

Dan.

John Lucas
12-12-2006, 4:24 AM
I think Domino will be sold as of April. I will tell you first hand, that it is a great tool. I have been using it for about 2 months and it is a gem.

Serge Pelletier
12-12-2006, 7:47 AM
Hi, I'm a new member to your forum. For your information:

The new Domino joining system
The DOMINO can replace your:
- pocket screw system,
- dowel system,
- biscuit system,
- loose-tenon system,
- lock mitre router bits,
- tongue and groove router bits,
- dovetail and finger joint jigs,
- and other assorted joining jigs.
COMPLETE FESTOOL DOMINO KIT

Contains:

DOMINO DF 500 Q-PLUS in Systainer,
Domino Assortment Systainer (containing 1,105 assorted dominos and all 4 cutters),
Domino Trim Stop (LA-DF500),
Domino Cross Stop (QA-DF500).FESTOOL Domino cutter around 55$(Australien $)

The street price in Australia is 1 665.00 (Australia $)

I talked with Bob Morino yesterday. Il told me : No prices have been officially set yet, but the Domino by itself will be offered in the $700.00's. The Dominos themselves (loose tenons) will be very reasonably priced.
It will come out in Usa in April 2007.

Link:
http://www.idealtools.com.au/category3919_1.htm (http://www.idealtools.com.au/category3919_1.htm)
What do you think about it? Will it replace the biscuit joiner?
Serge

Bob Marino
12-12-2006, 7:48 AM
Gary,

John is right on about the introductory date - set for April 1, 2007. I have the unit also (Euro version) for a few months and second John's initial assessment. The way I post pics, it will be here by then.:D :o :D
Take a look at Dan's link for the best current info. No, I did not go to Germany this time.:(

Bob

Bob Childress
12-12-2006, 7:52 AM
It is premature to get into the discussion about dowelers, morticers, biscuit joiners, and Dominoes, but I can tell you that I have already put aside my piggy bank waiting to purchase the Domino. :cool:

The sooner the better. I have a list of projects that are simmering until April. :( Bob, are you taking a waiting list?

Bob Marino
12-12-2006, 8:16 AM
[quote=Serge Pelletier]Hi, I'm a new member to your forum. For your information:

- pocket screw system,
- dowel system,
- biscuit system,
- loose-tenon system,
-- and other assorted joining jigs.

Serge
dovetail and finger joint jigs, - EMPHASIS MINE!

The Domino can replace much, if not all of the listed items, but in my mind, nothing will replace a dovetail joint.
Bob, yes to the waiting list. As of January 2, 2007, ISA'S will become Festool dealers and are allowed to stock the tools. As such, no sales tax need be charged/collected/remitted outside of one's state.

Bob

John Miliunas
12-12-2006, 8:34 AM
Bob, yes to the waiting list. As of January 2, 2007, ISA'S will become Festool dealers and are allowed to stock the tools. As such, no sales tax need be charged/collected/remitted outside of one's state.

Bob

Ohhhhhh, no-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!! :eek: That's about as "dangerous" as a crack dealer! :eek: Seriously, good luck with the new format. Also, any idea if Festool is going to do an "introductory" pricing schedule on the Domino's as they have with most of their other tools? :D :cool:

Al Garay
12-12-2006, 10:02 AM
April 1st is a peculiar day to release a new product. It must not have the same meaning (April Fools Day) in Europe.

Bob Marino
12-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Ohhhhhh, no-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!! :eek: That's about as "dangerous" as a crack dealer! :eek: Seriously, good luck with the new format. Also, any idea if Festool is going to do an "introductory" pricing schedule on the Domino's as they have with most of their other tools? :D :cool:

John,

The Introductory Price will be around $700.00.
Yep, the new program encourages ISA's to become shippers, rather than having Festool deliver the tools. There' much to it, but it also nullifies the current system where some dealers are not required to charge tax and others must do so. Folks can then make their decision where to buy based on service and/or convenience rather than price.:) :) :) :) :)

Bob

Jack Hutchinson
12-12-2006, 10:30 AM
"isa" ??

Bob Marino
12-12-2006, 10:34 AM
"isa" ??

Jack,

Oooops! ISA - Independent Sales Agent.

Bob

Glen Blanchard
12-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Bob -

How narrow of a mortise will the Domino be capable of making? Can it cut 1/8" mortises?

Bob Marino
12-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Bob -

How narrow of a mortise will the Domino be capable of making? Can it cut 1/8" mortises?

Glen,

The smallest bit is 5 mm. The smallest "domino" is about 1/5" x 3/4".

Bob

joseph j shields
12-12-2006, 1:45 PM
[quote=Serge Pelletier]Hi, I'm a new member to your forum. For your information:

- pocket screw system,
- dowel system,
- biscuit system,
- loose-tenon system,
-- and other assorted joining jigs.

Serge
dovetail and finger joint jigs, - EMPHASIS MINE!

The Domino can replace much, if not all of the listed items, but in my mind, nothing will replace a dovetail joint.

Bob

All of the joints, including Domino, require clamps... except for pocket holes...

I don't see how a Domino would be better in this respect.

Am I missing something here???

Bob Childress
12-12-2006, 1:59 PM
All of the joints, including Domino, require clamps... except for pocket holes...
I don't see how a Domino would be better in this respect.
Am I missing something here???

Not with regard to clamps. It's true pocket screws do not require clamps, but do you really want to join that nice mahogany headboard, for example, or that cherry dining table with pocket screws? The Domino is essentially a loose-tenon-producing machine with outstanding accuracy and repeatability.

Gary Keedwell
12-12-2006, 6:51 PM
Am I the only one who feels that this Domino thing is another thing that the marketeers are touting as the newest thing since sliced bread?
First, we see Norm with his spanking new bisquit joiner...and we all got one for Christmas. Jump ahead a few years and were all getting a new pocket hole gizmo. Oh yea, before and during these new "developments" were exposed to the latest dowel jigs.

So now the market has gotten us 3 times and this spring they're shooting for # 4. Domino. How appropriate that they are calling it Domino. These new METHODS of joinery keep going down like dominos. lol
Maybe the manufacturers of mass furniture will benifit from this but there not getting $700-$800 from this hobbyist!!!

Gary K.

Scott Thornton
12-12-2006, 7:07 PM
I'm buying one. I've seen some pictures on the forums of work others have done and how well this thing works...it's impressive...

Gary Keedwell
12-12-2006, 7:21 PM
I just want to add to my above rant. I have the greatest respect for Festool's products and even own one of their cordless drills and am also on the verge of purchasing their sanding products.
I am sure that their new product will be up to their very high standards which were all accustomed to. I was just questioning the marketing and whether the average hobbyist really needs this product.
I am sure that the product will expidite the time it takes for a finished product....but will it be a challenge and will we still get the right kind of satisfaction out of it?
I've heard it is too early to debate it's merits...but April is only 4 bill paying days away for me. ( I pay my bills once a month)
Gary K.

Todd Solomon
12-12-2006, 7:45 PM
I was just questioning the marketing and whether the average hobbyist really needs this product.

Gary K.

Hi Gary,

To your points, the Domino won't be for everyone, especially considering the price.

But for someone like me, who has been looking to get a slot mortiser for some time, this may be a significant invention. Quality slot mortisers are available from Multi-router and Felder, as an example, for about $3K. That's just way out of my budget, as it is for probably 99% of hobbyist woodworkers. There's been a void of slot mortisers at a reasonable price, and Festool looks like it may fill it.

I've also been looking at the Leigh FMT ($800+). That's more expensive than the Festool Domino, and you still have to add a router to it.

I've looked at the nitty gritty details on the Festool website, and I can't find anything wrong with the concept- It looks like the real deal to me. It looks like it has most of the advantages of slot mortisers, but it looks more efficient and easier to use. It's impact on woodworking could be on the order of the Sawstop, which I don't view as a gimmick either.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself. I would like to test drive it personally, to see if it would meet my needs and expectations. But I've talked with a professional woodworker that I know and trust, who has a prototype in frequent use, and he raves about it. In fact, he says his slot mortiser and biscuit joiner are now gathering dust, as he uses the Domino in place of them in nearly every case.

Todd

Dave Falkenstein
12-12-2006, 9:01 PM
...on the verge of purchasing their sanding products.
...whether the average hobbyist really needs this product.... Gary K.

Gary - Is it about time to get off the verge and act? The Festool 3 tool rebate program is expiring at the end of the month. Smile.

I doubt the "average hobbyist" would buy most Festool products - the price is too high. It appears the Domino is a great tool for someone that makes lots of M&T joints. Or for someone that simply appreciates a really well-designed and well-made tool for loose tenon joints

John A. Williams
12-12-2006, 9:17 PM
This reply is aimed more to Tod, it is about slot mortisers. Check out Grizzleys slot mortiser, only about $325.00 I think. It's kinda hard to find, I think its under boring machines.

Gary Keedwell
12-12-2006, 9:25 PM
Todd,
Your right...there's probably a niche out there for it. I was only thinking of the average Joe and joinery in general. I guess what really got my dander up was when I seen the so-called list of things it was supposed to eliminate. Box joints and dovetail joints was on that list and I don't even want to go there.
Maybe when people get educated about it...they may see where it could open up possiblities for them. I'll try to stay objective....but I personally don't see it in my future.

Gary K.

Gary Keedwell
12-12-2006, 9:57 PM
Your right, Dave. Gotta xxx just do it!!!

Gary K.

Todd Solomon
12-13-2006, 1:32 AM
This reply is aimed more to Tod, it is about slot mortisers. Check out Grizzleys slot mortiser, only about $325.00 I think. It's kinda hard to find, I think its under boring machines.

Hi John,

I was looking at that one too. There was a post on Woodcentral a while back, where someone had been using the Grizz you mention, and it seized after a short period of time. One person suggested to me that boring machines don't have bearings that can take the side loads of mortising- better just for thrust loads. It probably depends on the specific design.

I'm not sure the Grizzly would be up to the task. The squareness of the XY tables, any backlash in the mechanism, end-of-motion stops - These kind of things can affect slot mortiser performance (especially if you're putting in a double row of loose tenons in, where spacing between rows needs to be fairly accurate).

Any how, thanks for the suggestion on the Grizzly. I'm gonna hold out and demo the Domino.

Todd

Todd Solomon
12-13-2006, 2:00 AM
Todd,
Your right...there's probably a niche out there for it. I was only thinking of the average Joe and joinery in general. I guess what really got my dander up was when I seen the so-called list of things it was supposed to eliminate. Box joints and dovetail joints was on that list and I don't even want to go there.
Maybe when people get educated about it...they may see where it could open up possiblities for them. I'll try to stay objective....but I personally don't see it in my future.

Gary K.

I agree with all your points, Gary. Box joints and dovetails are more than a stretch- I don't know how that could be claimed.

And I too need to try to stay objective- lots of tools appear promising until you use 'em. Still, I'm optimistic about the Domino. But it's good that you're looking at it from other perspectives. A sanity check is in order, when so much cash is on the line.

Todd

Mike Holbrook
12-13-2006, 8:52 AM
Here is what interests me. "The Domino is as stable as a tongue-and-groove joint, but quicker to manufactureand more variable, especially in frame and rack assembly." They show pictures in which the Domino was tested against biscuits and double dowels. The biscuit broke after 2.1mm load, the 2x dowel boke at a 2.3 mm load, the Domino test was stopped at 14 mm load without breaking. It also states that the joint is still stable at 145 kg. That would be a much stronger joint, a joint that might rival more traditional joining techniques in terms of sturdiness.

If I understand the video I looked at, the tool can move the bit tip back and forth/side to side as well as in and out, possibly enabling it to make dovetail shapped holes in wood. The additional range of movement might also mean I could make a range of mostise sizes with a single bit. I find it pretty easy to make a tennon a little large and hand finish it to fit tight, if I could machine the mortise accurately and only have to match the tennon to it...

Dave Falkenstein
12-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi, I'm a new member to your forum. For your information:

- pocket screw system,
- dowel system,
- biscuit system,
- loose-tenon system,
- dovetail and finger joint jigs,
- and other assorted joining jigs.

Contains:

DOMINO DF 500 Q-PLUS in Systainer,
Domino Assortment Systainer (containing 1,105 assorted dominos and all 4 cutters),
Domino Trim Stop (LA-DF500),
Domino Cross Stop (QA-DF500).FESTOOL Domino cutter around 55$(Australien $)

The street price in Australia is 1 665.00 (Australia $)

I talked with Bob Morino yesterday. Il told me : No prices have been officially set yet, but the Domino by itself will be offered in the $700.00's. The Dominos themselves (loose tenons) will be very reasonably priced.
It will come out in Usa in April 2007.

Link:
http://www.idealtools.com.au/category3919_1.htm (http://www.idealtools.com.au/category3919_1.htm)
What do you think about it? Will it replace the biscuit joiner?
Serge

To put things into perspective on the Domino claims:

The claims in Serge's post are made by Ideal Tools, apparently a Festool dealer. The Domino brochure, published by Festool, which can be downloaded at the link that Serge provided, does not make those claims, at least not the one about dovetails.

Rick Christopherson
12-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Yes, I was with Bob Hunter (WOOD Mag) and many other editors over in Germany this past week (I just got off the plane a couple hours ago, so I still have some major jet-lag). I have had a Domino for about 6-months now but was not permitted to discuss it publically until this week.

In my opinion, Domino is going to shatter the biscuit joiner market because the only reason to ever buy a biscuit joiner from this point forward is for cost. There is no task that a biscuit joiner can do that Domino doesn't do better; bar none!!

The keys to Domino are the precision of the cuts, the strength of the tenons, and the versatility.
Domino can register the tenon/joint both vertically and horizontally with super-tight tolerances.
What Bob didn't mention in his last Blog is the quality assurance that goes into the Domino. I was really impressed that every Domino built, is tested by making a set of cuts in a piece of test-wood, but moreover, this piece of wood is given a serial number and is retained and tracked for future reference for every tool. In other words, if your Domino ever has a problem, Festool can retrieve the original test-block of wood from when the tool was built and compare it to how the tool is performing years later. I don't know of any other tool company that retains and tracks calibration settings for each tool built!!!!
The domino Tenons are very strong (P.S. Please don't call these biscuits or dowels: they are tenons; more specifically Domino Tenons.) Unlike biscuits, Dominos are not made from a pressed or composite wood. They are made from solid beech wood and milled to precision. Instead of penetrating less than 1/2-inch into the wood, a Domino pentrated over a full inch into the wood.
For versatility, the Dominos are available in a variety of sizes. The smallest, 5-mm is just slightly thicker than a common biscuit, but they also have 5, 6, 8, 10 mm thicknesses.I am way too tired and haven't had enough sleep to go into more detail tonight, but in my opinion this is the single most revolutionary tool to hit the market in years, or even decades.

Gary Keedwell
12-13-2006, 11:25 PM
This is aimed at R. Christopherson,

A bisquit joiner is made to line parts up for glueing only. They are only an aid. Would you use this domino gadget for lining up parts for glueing? Then how can you say "bar none?"

Gary K.

Rick Christopherson
12-13-2006, 11:47 PM
This is aimed at R. Christopherson,

A bisquit joiner is made to line parts up for glueing only. They are only an aid. Would you use this domino gadget for lining up parts for glueing? Then how can you say "bar none?"

Gary K.Contrary to popular belief, a biscuit joiner is not very good for alignment purposes, at least not in the tolerances that I demand. I won't use a biscuit joiner for aligment.

However, I used the domino to align my glue up for a wood turning a couple of weeks ago. I posted this glue-up a couple of weeks ago on another forum, but I did not mention that I used my Domino to make the glue up.

The Domino far, far, far surpasses a biscuit when it comes to alignment. I am not sure if this answers your question though.

Gary Keedwell
12-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Contrary to popular belief, a biscuit joiner is not very good for alignment purposes, at least not in the tolerances that I demand. I won't use a biscuit joiner for aligment.

However, I used the domino to align my glue up for a wood turning a couple of weeks ago. I posted this glue-up a couple of weeks ago on another forum, but I did not mention that I used my Domino to make the glue up.

The Domino far, far, far surpasses a biscuit when it comes to alignment. I am not sure if this answers your question though.
I think done properly, it is used to edge glue long boards for making panels.If the bisquit and the slots are sized right, it can help in glue-ups. I don't think a domino would be economical for that, would it?
Gary K.

Gary Keedwell
12-14-2006, 7:26 AM
I beg to differ. When making up panels by edge glueing long boards, I find the bisquit joiner pretty effecient. That is of course if you have bisquits that fit properly.
If your bisquits have been stored right and your slots are to size then you should have no problems. Though I will say that I myself use that joiner less and less each year. It is just that my methods have gotten better and I don't use the bisquit joiner as much as an aid for alignment.

Gary K.

John Miliunas
12-14-2006, 9:14 AM
I beg to differ. When making up panels by edge glueing long boards, I find the bisquit joiner pretty effecient. That is of course if you have bisquits that fit properly.
If your bisquits have been stored right and your slots are to size then you should have no problems. Though I will say that I myself use that joiner less and less each year. It is just that my methods have gotten better and I don't use the bisquit joiner as much as an aid for alignment.

Gary K.

First off, I'd like to think of myself as a "Festool Junkie!" I'm currently at 4 sanders, two drills and a jigsaw. :) I'm chomping at the bit to check out the Domino, as well. However, what Gary speaks of is truth and then some. It's been proven that biscuits, though probably not quite as accurate or strong as the Domino, do indeed provide some additional strength to a joint AND, if the jointer and biscuits are accurate, glue-ups will also be accurate.

I speak somewhat from experience on this one. I good friend of mine finally broke down and bought a Lamello about a year ago. Until that point, he had found (through his own research/testing) that a Makita jointer was as accurate as he could lay hands on, sans the Lamello. I ended up purchasing his used Makita from him and ditching my old one at a rummage sale. Yes, at first I was hesitant to replace a biscuit system, due to the general sloppiness. However, after talking to my buddy, he assured me that the Makita would do a much nicer job for me, but only IF I ditched my "run of the mill" biscuits and used Lamello biscuits. Huh? He explained that much of the sloppiness comes from both, the machine AND the biscuits themselves. He challenged me to put calipers on my current biscuits. Wow! What a revelation! Thicknesses were all over the board. :mad: Gee, no wonder I couldn't get boards to line up properly! I got a box of Lamello biscuits and did the same thing. Not 100%, but most assuredly, a LOT more consistent. Now my glue-ups with biscuits are much, much more accurate and smooth. :) Are they as smooth, strong and versatile as the Domino? Nope. Is there a test joint sitting at the Makita factory which will match up with my jointer? Hmmm, I kinda' don't think so. So yes, a Domino may make it into my future but, the point of this particular rambling is: The right jointer and biscuit combination can still be made to work and work well.:) :cool:

Bob Marino
12-14-2006, 9:54 AM
First off, I'd like to think of myself as a "Festool Junkie!" I'm currently at 4 sanders, two drills and a jigsaw. :) I'm chomping at the bit to check out the Domino, as well. However, what Gary speaks of is truth and then some. It's been proven that biscuits, though probably not quite as accurate or strong as the Domino, do indeed provide some additional strength to a joint AND, if the jointer and biscuits are accurate, glue-ups will also be accurate.

I speak somewhat from experience on this one. I good friend of mine finally broke down and bought a Lamello about a year ago. Until that point, he had found (through his own research/testing) that a Makita jointer was as accurate as he could lay hands on, sans the Lamello. I ended up purchasing his used Makita from him and ditching my old one at a rummage sale. Yes, at first I was hesitant to replace a biscuit system, due to the general sloppiness. However, after talking to my buddy, he assured me that the Makita would do a much nicer job for me, but only IF I ditched my "run of the mill" biscuits and used Lamello biscuits. Huh? He explained that much of the sloppiness comes from both, the machine AND the biscuits themselves. He challenged me to put calipers on my current biscuits. Wow! What a revelation! Thicknesses were all over the board. :mad: Gee, no wonder I couldn't get boards to line up properly! I got a box of Lamello biscuits and did the same thing. Not 100%, but most assuredly, a LOT more consistent. Now my glue-ups with biscuits are much, much more accurate and smooth. :) Are they as smooth, strong and versatile as the Domino? Nope. Is there a test joint sitting at the Makita factory which will match up with my jointer? Hmmm, I kinda' don't think so. So yes, a Domino may make it into my future but, the point of this particular rambling is: The right jointer and biscuit combination can still be made to work and work well.:) :cool:

John, I agree with you regarding the Lamello; both about the tool and the Lamello biscuits - just a better machine. Having said that, if you know anyone interested in a lightly used Lamello C2 and a few hundred biscuits, let me know.;) :D ;)

Bob

Rick Christopherson
12-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Please don’t take this as an insult, but when I make a glue-up, I have much higher standards than most others will hold. When I run my finger across the still-wet glue line, if I can feel the slightest edge, the joint is not acceptable. This translates to an alignment of just 0.001-0.002 inch.

I learned that biscuits could not give me this level of precision time-after-time, but moreover, the biscuits prevented me from flexing the boards as necessary to tweak the alignment. The greatest problem with most biscuit joiners is either runout in the blade, or the blade not being perfectly parallel with the fence.

When I made the lathe turning blank shown below, I realized that it was too large to re-square the ends once it was glued together. I never would have attempted this glue up with biscuit alignment, because I could not afford to have any alignment issues. In the third picture, you can see where one of the outer Dominos is cut through (I placed it outside of the required final blank). The inner Dominos were placed inside the narrowest radius of the turning. When completed, this 60 pound turning blank had perfect alignment of the ends.

So to answer Gary’s question; no, using Domino is not as cost effective as using a biscuit joiner for alignment. However, when the alignment is critical, or the joint needs to be strengthened, then Domino works perfectly.

The machining tolerances on the Domino are that 99.994% of components must fit within 0.0003 (3-tenthousandths inch). Those are the “rejection” standards, but in reality, the 6-sigma deviation is that most components are within 1 or 2 tenthousandths of an inch. (I wasn’t taking notes during the quality assurance presentation, but most of the magazine editors were. You can probably find more information on one of the several magazine blogs.)

http://waterfront-woods.home.att.net/tempgraphics/Glueup1.jpg

http://waterfront-woods.home.att.net/tempgraphics/Glueup2.jpg

http://waterfront-woods.home.att.net/tempgraphics/Glueup3.jpg

http://waterfront-woods.home.att.net/tempgraphics/squareturn.jpg

Gary Keedwell
12-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Using bisquits for aligning long boards for edge-joining is a legitimate method for glueing up. As long as you use well stored bisquits and the slot is right thickness, it is a fine method.
Gary K.

Gary Keedwell
12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Is someone deleting my posts?

Gary K.

Don Bullock
12-14-2006, 1:20 PM
...First, we see Norm with his spanking new bisquit joiner...and we all got one for Christmas. Jump ahead a few years and were all getting a new pocket hole gizmo. Oh yea, before and during these new "developments" were exposed to the latest dowel jigs.

So now the market has gotten us 3 times and this spring they're shooting for # 4. Domino. How appropriate that they are calling it Domino. These new METHODS of joinery keep going down like dominos. lol...

I did have to laugh out loud at this one. :D You make a very good point. As someone who is just getting back into the woodworking hobby I'm getting very confused with some of this new fangled ways. What happened to the old fashioned way of joining wood? I'd rather master those.

Bob Childress
12-14-2006, 3:11 PM
I did have to laugh out loud at this one. :D You make a very good point. As someone who is just getting back into the woodworking hobby I'm getting very confused with some of this new fangled ways. What happened to the old fashioned way of joining wood? I'd rather master those.

There is some truth in that and I support your point of view. But some of us are more interested in the end product than in the process. My satisfaction comes from producing a quality (as best I am able) finished piece. Anything within reason that helps me achieve that quality faster and more predictably gets my vote. Others derive immense satisfaction from the feel of the handplane or the bite of a well-sharpened chisel. More power to both camps. :) ;)

Gary, I don't know if anyone is deleting your posts but it would be nice if you took your fonts off BOLD. It feels like you're yelling, even though I know you're not (are you?). :) :)

Christian Aufreiter
12-14-2006, 3:39 PM
April 1st is a peculiar day to release a new product. It must not have the same meaning (April Fools Day) in Europe.

I can assure that it HAS the same meaning here (at least in Austria and Germany).

So now the market has gotten us 3 times and this spring they're shooting for # 4. Domino. How appropriate that they are calling it Domino. These new METHODS of joinery keep going down like dominos. lol
Maybe the manufacturers of mass furniture will benifit from this but there not getting $700-$800 from this hobbyist!!!

I agree, that the Domino isn’t cheap. But I do doubt that a company that concentrates on mass furniture would base its production on Domino tools.

Regards,

Christian

Bob Childress
12-14-2006, 4:28 PM
I agree, that the Domino isn’t cheap. But I do doubt that a company that concentrates on mass furniture would base its production on Domino tools.

Of course not. It is aimed squarely at the small shops and custom furniture makers, with a smattering of hobbiests thrown in. :) The custom shops that have used it are uniformly praising it.

Gary Keedwell
12-14-2006, 5:41 PM
Contrary to popular belief, a biscuit joiner is not very good for alignment purposes, at least not in the tolerances that I demand. I won't use a biscuit joiner for aligment.

If all conditions are good (nice dry bisquits & right size slot) bisquit joinery can be very productive and accurate especially edge joining long boards.
Gary K.