PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blades?

Brent Grooms
12-11-2006, 9:36 PM
I'm going to call Suffolk in the morning and take advantage of their current promotion of 20%off a 5 blade purchase. I am looking for suggestions on what I should get and what I should get a spare of.

The saw is an 18in Steel City and I have a 1/4 6tpi and a 1/2 3tpi that I bought when I picked up the saw as well as the 3/4 that comes with it. Capacity is 1/8 thru 1 1/4. I will be doing some re-sawing and a BUNCH of ripping hard and soft maple 8/4 for a workbench.

Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of life to expect out of blades?

Jim Becker
12-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Brent, talk to Suffolk about the kind of work you plan on doing...they will do a very nice job at suggesting the right "mix" for you. And buy one extra of the blade you will likely have on the saw the most so you have a change available when you wear it out...bandsaw blades are disposables. Life varies with the blade size, saw and type of cutting...curves put more load on the blade, for example, which is worse for the wider blades. They can last anywhere from a few minutes of intense work with hard, hard wood to a couple months of weekends of general use.

John Miliunas
12-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Brent, I believe Jim B. has it covered quite nicely. :) Additionally, if you intend on doing any curved work with the saw, it's a good idea if you "stone" the back edges of your more narrow blades. By that, I mean, to relieve the sharp edges on the back of the blade in order to allow it a more free path when turning corners. That makes for easier sawing, less wear & tear on both, the blade and saw and finally, as an added bonus, your work will require a bit less sanding once done with it. :) :cool:

Brent Grooms
12-12-2006, 5:51 AM
Thanks guys. Any pointers on indications of the blade is done other than increased effort in feeding wood?

Ron Blaise
12-12-2006, 8:04 AM
is that they don't recommend the 1 1/4" for your saw, at least not their
1 1/4". I would let them as some have already suggested recommend what will work best for your 18". I also have an 18" and they recommended a 1" blade for mine. It cuts like a dream. Enjoy your saw and their blades, I know I do.

John Miliunas
12-12-2006, 8:15 AM
Thanks guys. Any pointers on indications of the blade is done other than increased effort in feeding wood?

Well, yes and no. The increased effort in feeding will also, more than likely mean, you're taking a LOT longer to get through stock and, in so doing, you'll note that the stock is starting to get burn marks. :) :cool: