PDA

View Full Version : Small Draw Knife

Clint Jones
12-11-2006, 6:19 PM
I have a very small draw knife its only 8 inches wide and has 2 1/2 inch handles. I have used it a couple of times in the shop but its hard to get my hands on as the handles are so small. Does anyone have any kind of information about it (what it could be used for? Maybe furniture) Any suggestions will be appreciated :D !!!!

Louis Bois
12-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Clint, it almost falls into the "patternmaker" category...but I'll let the pros chime in their two cents and go to sleep now.

Nathan Camp
12-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Isn't ot obvious. Santa has gone CNC and is selling off the elf's tools.:eek:

My great-grandfather used draw knifes to make just about everything. (He was born in 1865). Larger ones made plows and handles, smaller ones were used to make wagon wheel parts, etc.

From what my Dad and Grandad passed on, the small ones were used for detail work and carving.

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of his old knifes. Still very effective tools.

Nathan Camp

Pam Niedermayer
12-12-2006, 6:55 AM
It does seem that the handles should be set further apart for such a short drawknife, like this 9-3/4" Japanese version: http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=10.021.240&dept_id=13217

Pam

Chuck Nickerson
12-12-2006, 12:24 PM
I use it for carving and small scale work (e.g. paddles for a 1/4 scale kayak). I don't grip each of the handles with my full hand, just with my thimb and forefinger.

Don Boys
12-15-2006, 9:12 AM
A drawknife is essential for green wood furniture construction. Get a copy of Green Woodworking from Drew Langsner at countryworkshops.org to see details.

Brian Boggs has an excellent dvd showing the use of a drawknife. You can get that from Lie-Nielson.

Don Boys