John Piwaron
12-11-2006, 5:04 PM
Me neither

Mike Heidrick
12-11-2006, 5:08 PM
That is awesome.

David Tiell
12-11-2006, 5:25 PM
That is SWEET!! Wish I had HALF the brainpower it took to figure that out!

Dan Drager
12-11-2006, 5:57 PM
I was sent this link a week ago. Since then I have looked at it countless times. What amazes me most is that in both positions the seams are near invisible. Unreal.

Jeffrey Makiel
12-11-2006, 7:18 PM
Unbelievable.

John Fry
12-11-2006, 7:42 PM
Boy, I'd like to try. I wonder if they would sell just the mechanisms.

Jim Becker
12-11-2006, 7:46 PM
It must be really interesting how stuff goes together to get things to move both out and over to allow the extra sections to pop up/in to where they need to be for the extended setup. It's gotta be brilliant engineering!

Frank Chaffee
12-11-2006, 8:00 PM
It must be really interesting how stuff goes together to get things to move both out and over to allow the extra sections to pop up/in to where they need to be for the extended setup. It's gotta be brilliant engineering!
Brilliant engineering? Yes.
Challenging? Certainly.
Beyond the capabilities of a Creeker woodworker who has the resources of this site at his/her disposal? I think not.

Frank

Kristian Wild
12-11-2006, 9:46 PM
After I picked my jaw off of the desk, I yelled "Jen get over here, you gotta see this!" She was also duely impressed.

I wish I has a masters degree in mechanical engineering... That is way too cool.

Kris

Robert Mickley
12-11-2006, 10:02 PM
I saw it the other day. Your right it amazes me how it goes together and you can't hardley see the seems

Chuck Wood
12-11-2006, 11:15 PM
:confused: That is simply amazing! I can't even begin imagine how to ?

The person that designed that table is probably locked up some where in a rubber room!

John Schreiber
12-12-2006, 12:56 AM
All I know is that I will be doodling and thinking about this design when I should be paying attention in meetings for a good long while.

Steve Sawyer
12-12-2006, 8:42 AM
Interesting aspect - the arc on the wedge-shaped segments cannot assume two different radii. If you look closely at some of the film, you can see that when closed, the arcs are radiused to match the larger size, and don't form a smooth circle. However, the ring that lifts into place around the perimeter compensates for this retaining the circular shape.

Very, very clever.

Don Dean
12-12-2006, 9:22 AM
I have figured it out.....It's magic!

Keel McDonald
12-12-2006, 9:37 AM
http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=20949

John,

Can you post a picture of it in this thread? I can't seem to open it up, and I'd really love to see it after reading all these posts. Thanks!!!

Ralph Barhorst
12-12-2006, 9:39 AM
Keel,

It is on this website. http://www.dbfletcher.com/capstan/

John Schreiber
12-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Interesting aspect - the arc on the wedge-shaped segments cannot assume two different radii. If you look closely at some of the film, you can see that when closed, the arcs are radiused to match the larger size, and don't form a smooth circle. However, the ring that lifts into place around the perimeter compensates for this retaining the circular shape.

Very, very clever. Good eye. I was trying to see how that happened. Some of the tables don't have that feature and end up more of a lobed hexagon.

Randal Stevenson
12-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Wow, and I would be in the middle of eating something and someone would spin it open.:rolleyes::D

Neil Lamens
12-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Brilliant engineering? Yes.
Challenging? Certainly.
Beyond the capabilities of a Creeker woodworker who has the resources of this site at his/her disposal? I think not.

Frank

For some reason I'm unable to see it also..............but I don't care what it is...........I'm with Frank Chaffee

Neil

Chip Olson
12-12-2006, 2:54 PM
Ah, I was expecting that to show up here. On one of the videos, you can see that the mechanicals are all metal. I tried to visualize how to do it in wood (hmm, support the leaves on center-mount drawer slides, cables to open and close them, some ramp arrangement to make the smaller leaves and the center piece pop up...) and then my head began to spin.

Larry Fox
12-12-2006, 4:13 PM
While it is certainly VERY impressive, I tend to think that the entire thing is metal with some veneer on it which I think would certainly simplify it's construction quite a bit. If you look at the last frame of the first video before the transition out (just as the guy leaves the frame) the joint that is nearest the camera is not that tight at all. I think that a lot of the amazement comes from distance and a bad video. If looked at closely I think that the tollerences might appear a bit looser.

All that said, designing and building the FIRST one must have made the designer's head nearly explode.

I know nothing about cameras but it works very much the same way as I envision the apperature working. Kinda like one of those iris' that you see in the opening to a James Bond flick (Goldeneye I think). :)

But, to directly answer the OP question - no, I could not make that.

Matt Day
12-12-2006, 4:33 PM
I as well think it's amazing work, but I bet the desing is quite simply if you could see the exploded view. It's probably a few gears and worm drives. I'd love to see the inner workings of it (being that I studied mechanical engineer in school). Sorry to get off topic, but if you think that's a work of genious, check out this bike hub: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/rohloff.html

Great execution and finish on that table for sure!

Art Mulder
12-12-2006, 8:21 PM
can u make this?

No I can't, and you can't either.

They patented it... :rolleyes:

John Kendall
12-12-2006, 11:08 PM
I think it would be easier for me to build a Rubik's Cube. I've gotta have one of those though!!! :eek::)

Joe Jensen
12-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Boy, I'd like to try. I wonder if they would sell just the mechanisms.

I suspect the veneered panels have MDG, or some very stable substrate. I also suspect this has to be cut on a CNC machine to hold the tolerances necessary for it to all lock together. In a past life I designed some machines. We designed a lot of anodized or nickel plated aluminum. I 'd expect their cost for the mechanism is $2000 or more. $5000 wouldn't surprise me.

John Piwaron
12-13-2006, 8:36 AM
No I can't, and you can't either.

They patented it... :rolleyes:

Patent or not, if I could figure this out I'd make one for myself.

Nonetheless, I don't know how this works, it just looks cool. And I don't really need one anyway. :D