PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Bowls - Nine

Frank Kobilsek
12-11-2006, 3:10 PM
Its been a long time since I posted any picts. I finaly set up a photo tent last night and these are some of the early pictures, still don't have the light right.

I have turned 9 bowls for a lady who plans to give them to her kids and thier spouses for Christmas. All nine are the same shape and size but decorated differently. These are three of my favorites of the nine. I talked her husband in to buying a larger walnut bowl same general shape.

This one has a hand carved rim.

Picture up loading does seem to want me to do more than one pict so I'll reply to my own thread.

Frank

Frank Kobilsek
12-11-2006, 3:12 PM
Next is a textured and dyed band. The red is sutle, green works on walnut too but yellow and blue don't show on walnut.

Frank Kobilsek
12-11-2006, 3:17 PM
Last is the 'Snowflake'. Carved and inlaid with brass in the bottom with my homemade dremel fluting rig.

All are sanded to 400 and finished with Mahoney Oil and Mahoney Wax. My wife realy likes the warm shine of a flat oil and I think it looks good on Walnut and cherry.

Bottoms were recess chucked and I left it there. This is a freinds and family discount deal so I didn't put the time into fussing with the bottoms.

Thanks for looking, after my dry spell I'll have new picts for you guys everyday this week.

Frank

John Hart
12-11-2006, 3:23 PM
I just happened to be breezing through the new posts when you posted the first one....and I said "Cool!"

Then the second one came along and I said, "oooooooh"

Then you made me wait forever for the third one. "Very Nice", I Sez to myself.

All beauties Frank.....If I had to pick a favorite....It's #2. That red band just sets off the piece wonderfully. Nice work.:)

Keith Burns
12-11-2006, 3:28 PM
Frank, all three look very nice. I'd have trouble picking a favorite. Great form, great work:) :)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2006, 3:28 PM
Frank....Frank....Frank..............You've been holding out on us! Shame on you!:rolleyes: :D ...............Exquisite work.........Beautiful!

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2006, 4:06 PM
Wow! Beautiful bowls Frank! If I had to pick one it would have to be the snowflake just because I have never seen that done before. Really good work!

David Walser
12-11-2006, 4:16 PM
How did you do the brass inlay? Was that powdered brass that you fixed in place with CA glue or some other method? The jpg doesn't provide enough detail to tell how you did it, but it does look nice.

Paul Engle
12-11-2006, 4:20 PM
Frank I like the snow flake. That looks awsome against the walnut :D :D . Can't see the red well as the back ground drowns it out :eek: . Did you use a stencil for the pattern or free hand it? I have some Snake River black sand mixed with flour gold and want to do something like that but not sure how to go about it.

Mark Pruitt
12-11-2006, 5:18 PM
Frank,
All are excellent! I like #2 the best--the dyed red band really enhances the overall beauty of the piece.

Frank Kobilsek
12-11-2006, 5:44 PM
Thanks to all,

Ken, I have enough picts to last the week so ... Then I suspect you'll have to wait until about Easter.

Paul, David & Steve - The brass is key shaving from the machine at the hardware store, I'm nice to the girls at the store and they save the grindings from the key machine for me. OK, How did I do the snowflake. I have mounted my dremel in a yoke on a plastic sled base. In my banjo I place a piece of pipe which supports a little table. I can set the cutting tip of the dremel at center of the piece and slide the dremel sled on the table to groove the wood. Use the indexing head of my lathe for radial position. The cutter is tapered so the deeper I go the wider the groove. Then I fill the groove with brass and drip in the CA. One of these days I'll take some picts of the Dremel rig and write a little 'how to'.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Frank

Bernie Weishapl
12-11-2006, 5:50 PM
Frank those are some beauties. Wow. Nice work.

Ron Sardo
12-11-2006, 6:39 PM
These are really nice Frank

Pat Doble
12-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Great ideas and execution Frank. I can't pick a favorite either - first thought I liked #2 best, but the more I look at the Snowflake, the more I like that one.

Jonathon Spafford
12-12-2006, 3:19 AM
Those are super cool! #2 is really beautiful (my favorite)... it is simple but beautiful. The dye job is super cool!