PDA

View Full Version : iPod charging question...

Dennis Peacock
12-11-2006, 1:19 PM
I've been reading where an iPod requires a high power USB port. How does one tell if they have a high power USB port or not? Like, my machine only has a USB 2.0 PCI card in it and no USB ports that are part of the PC proper.

I tried a hook up and all I get is the "do not disconnect" symbol when connected to my pc. Can you tell I'm trying to learn all about his as we settled on the Nano for my oldest 2 kids. :confused: :rolleyes:

Tyler Howell
12-11-2006, 1:57 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/im_msn.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=481220&posted=1#)

So Bro.
Hi Speed USB will up load data faster, Fire wire is the quickest but any newer usb should charge your IPOD.
Keep in mind that only your home computer (unless you get after market software) can transfer data. A different computer will even disable your pod so you can't sit at your work desk charge off usb and listen.
But any computer will charge it. I come into work and plug mine in during all the morning briefings. Then it is good to go at 9:00 when I get down to paper work.
Good to use your ITunes Software of your home PC to connect and disconnect the data link with the IPOD. manually breaking the link can corrupt your data.

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2006, 2:52 AM
Tyler,

All I'm getting when connecting the Nano to the USB on my PC is the Do Not Disconnect screen. Does this mean that my USB ports are not high power ports? :confused:

Chris Barton
12-12-2006, 5:20 AM
Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the quirks of Ipod. I have a nano and what you have found is common. If you computer is over 3-4 years old it will not produce enough power at the USB to charge the ipod. If you have a newer computer, give it a try. I have 3 computers at home and one is a 6yo HP and the ipod will never charge on it...

Peter Stahl
12-12-2006, 5:55 AM
Dennis,

I just got one for my wife and had it on a older PC which may only have the older USB port. I couldn't tell you if it was charging or not. As far as the Do Not Disconnect Message, it just like someone said you need to eject the iPod before you disconnect so you don't corrupt or short the memory. A USB 2.0 port should charge your iPod. Except for the little battery icon in the upper left hand corner I don't know how you would know if it were charged or not. Instructions with this little bugger were very vauge. I was planning on buying a seperate charge for her so it would be more convenient. It also took a while to figure out how to transfer songs to it. The other thing you need for iPod iTunes is a PC with XP on it. Wouldn't work very well on my Win 2000 machine. Hope this helps.

Peter Stahl
12-12-2006, 6:25 AM
Dennis,

Just saw a Radio Shack add in the reading room. They have a Griffin PowerBlock AC Charger for iPod for $29. I found it under the accessories tab for the iPod Nano. Apple store has a AC charger but I think you have to buy a firewire cable to use it, wasn't really clear like most Apple stuff. Apple products are great but they do need better instructions with them.

Larry Klaaren
12-12-2006, 7:05 AM
Got my best IPod information from the checkout girl at Walgreens. I was trying to figure out how to not get the Podcasts I download onto the I-Pod. (Wanted them on a CD so I could listen in the car.) Ask someone who is about 17. Not sure why Walgreens lets her listen while she works.

Larry

Derek Rose
12-12-2006, 8:25 AM
When you see the "Do Not Disconnect" message on your iPod screen, check the upper-right hand corner for the battery symbol. If it is changing and has a lightning bolt across it, that means it is receiving a charge.

Tyler Howell
12-12-2006, 8:28 AM
Tyler,

All I'm getting when connecting the Nano to the USB on my PC is the Do Not Disconnect screen. Does this mean that my USB ports are not high power ports? :confused:
No!
Mine says the same thing at work. but it still charges the Ipod

Ralph Barhorst
12-12-2006, 10:19 AM
"Do Not Disconnect" means that the IPOD is charging and has not completed the charge. You should leave it plugged in until it has fully charged and the message has changed.

Tyler Howell
12-12-2006, 10:33 AM
My new 30 Gig gives the "Do Not Disconnect" when plugged into any machine. It will also show this message on the host PC unless I electronically disconnect it through Itunes.
No matter how long it stays connected to non host PCs it shows that message.

Dave Carey
12-12-2006, 11:11 AM
You always get the Do Not Disconnect sign when you plug it in whether it's charging or not. Best source for all iPod info in my experience if ilounge.com. Site is a bit slow but you can pose your question and get an answer form a real iPod propellerhead (a term I use affectionately.)

patrick anderson
12-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Did you not get the ac plug adaptor with the ipod? The USB part of the cable plugs into it and then you stick it in a wall socket.

The Do not disconnect message usually comes up when syncing to itunes.

Tyler Howell
12-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Did you not get the ac plug adaptor with the ipod? The USB part of the cable plugs into it and then you stick it in a wall socket.

The Do not disconnect message usually comes up when syncing to itunes.
Newer models, the charger is not included.
Every thing is an option:mad:

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2006, 11:55 AM
No A/C adapter Patrick. But since my PC is fairly old in comparison to todays standards, look like I'll be getting the A/C adapter. Even the laptop computer I got from work won't charge it.

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I just needed to know if I was gonna have to spend more money or not. Christmas sure does get expensive, doesn't it?:rolleyes:

patrick anderson
12-12-2006, 1:16 PM
ah I didnt know they made everything a la carte.....should've known I guess.

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2006, 1:27 PM
ah I didnt know they made everything a la carte.....should've known I guess.

Yup....now days they just "a la carte" your mone' away. :eek: :mad:

Tim Morton
12-12-2006, 5:44 PM
Yup....now days they just "a la carte" your mone' away. :eek: :mad:

Rather than just getting a charger...maybe look into a charging dock speaker system that will let you play music anyplace. I picked up a nice altec lansing set from ebay for under 50 bucks.