PDA

View Full Version : good work from "needs improvement" lathe? or bite the bullet?

D Randall
12-11-2006, 11:45 AM
If the lathe runs rough, can I still get good work from it? I've got an older Cman lathe and I'm trying to produce from it, there's tons of bounce in the pullies, and a fair amount of vibration. is it hopless? given time (Like after Xmas) I’m sure I can improve the mounting of the lathe on the bench it’s on, but time does not allow for much of that fiddling right now. Right now, I just need to get the projects done that I need to get done FOR xmas. Or is that also hopeless.

I guess what I’m asking is, can I still turn out work of reasonable quality? Or should I pony up and pick up a decent Mini, which I will be doing after Xmas anyway. I’ll keep the Cman till the time comes that when/if I want to upgrade the full size lathe. Right now I expect to run the Cman as my “full size” for bigger spindles and bowls (what ever is too big for the mini) and run everything I can on the mini. To turn out the quality I want, should I just bite the bullet on the mini, or ?

As I said I will spend the time to improve the Cman, but I don’t have that luxury at this time. I need some of these projects ready by the weekend (ok, so I’m an idot for that, so shoot me).

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2006, 12:08 PM
D - I don't know how old your Craftsman is but mine is a 1954 model. The motor hangs under the lathe headstock on a swivel and uses the weight of the motor to provide tension on the drive belt. My motor also bounced - causing everything to shake. Got rid of most of it by hanging a weight off the motor. In my case it was a large magnet from a speaker and must weigh 5 pounds or so. Simple but it worked.

Bob Hallowell
12-11-2006, 3:41 PM
I bet a good link belt wouls help alot. It did wonders for my tablesaw and planer!

Bob

D Randall
12-11-2006, 3:57 PM
I bet a good link belt wouls help alot. It did wonders for my tablesaw and planer!

Bob

Wish it did. I've already got a link belt in the program. it did help, but the shaking could still mix a gallon of paint.

David Walser
12-11-2006, 4:22 PM
If you can't get the lathe to stop shaking, I don't know how you can produce good work. That is, unless you want everything to have a chatter finish!

Mark Cothren
12-11-2006, 4:27 PM
I vote for getting yourself a new lathe for CHRISTmas...:D

Steven Wilson
12-11-2006, 4:39 PM
I suggest you trying turning on a decent lathe for a few minutes, then you'll know what to do with your Craftsman

Sean Troy
12-11-2006, 6:02 PM
Are you sure it's not just a case of the wood being out of round and not trued up?

John Hart
12-12-2006, 5:45 AM
....It did wonders for my tablesaw and planer!

For those who don't know...a tablesaw is for sawing tables and a planer is for making airplanes.;) :)

D Randall
12-12-2006, 7:10 AM
Are you sure it's not just a case of the wood being out of round and not trued up?

there was marked inprovement as you trued up. however, it's just scary the faster you go. only really access 2.5 speeds without an overhaul which I dont have time for.

I picked up the Jet mini last night. that's for the advice everyone. my wife will be "thrilled"... NOT. oh well.

as to preformance of the mini, it's kind of amazing how much of a difference there is. even before truing, it's just happiley spinnng away. couldnt be happier with the mini.