PDA

View Full Version : jewelry box

jerry cousins
12-11-2006, 11:06 AM
thought i would upload this box for your review. main box is mahogany.
the top is afzelia burl. the swan marquetry piece and dividers are holly.

the burl and swan veneers are home cut to 5/64. the swan is cut in using the double bevel cutting method. then the whole thing is glued to 3/8 baltic birch plywood, using a vacuum press.

black accents are gabon ebony. the finish is 7-8 coats of shellac, polished with pumice, rottenstone, meguire's swirl remover, then waxed and buffed.

the bottom center section is a bit taller than the others - it is a ring holder.
i usually make some finger "indents" along the sides for openning - this time i fabricated some "tabs" that stick out - wanted to carry the black accents.

thanks for looking.

jerry

David Tiell
12-11-2006, 11:42 AM
very nice!!!

Jim Becker
12-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Beautiful, Jerry!

Roy Wall
12-11-2006, 1:42 PM
Superb Jerry!!!.......that is most excellent!

Lori Kleinberg
12-11-2006, 2:31 PM
That's a beautiful box.

glenn bradley
12-11-2006, 2:41 PM
Very striking. The swan looks 3D. Is it somewhat carved or is it color shadowing. Very nice piece.

Jesse Thornton
12-11-2006, 3:08 PM
Gorgeous piece of work, Jerry. Who's the lucky recipient?

Zahid Naqvi
12-11-2006, 3:14 PM
very nice, how about a closeup of the swan.

everett lowell
12-11-2006, 4:46 PM
Great looking box Jerry, I really like the contrasting color on the inside! Nice work.:)

Brian Knodel
12-11-2006, 5:28 PM
Oh yah … that’s very nice. Is the inside finished to the same degree as the outside? I’m still struggling with shellac and am wondering how you work shellac into the inside corners and then buff and wax.

Brian

Jason Tuinstra
12-11-2006, 5:41 PM
Wow, outstanding work. Sounds like you have a ton of work just into the finish. Looks like it was well worth the effort. Nice job.

jerry cousins
12-11-2006, 7:58 PM
thanks for the nice comments.
these days i'm finding that the finishing takes almost as long as the construction -lots of waiting time.

brian - the inside is not as polished as the outside. for me shellac is tough on inside corners - tends to develop some "fat" edges - but i do sand it down and the final coats are a 1# cut or less - trying to let the alcohol dissolve the previous coats. i do get wax in there - but can only rub it out. on the outside i actually use a car buffer.

glen - the texture on the swan wings is gotten by charring the eges in hot sand. will try to get a close up of the bird - but the picture size limitation may not allow for real details.

thanks again
jerry