PDA

View Full Version : I turned PENS today!

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-07-2003, 7:28 PM
Well, here they are! My first attempt at Turning Pens. With the help of Ken Salisbury, I have managed to crank out 5 pens without a single problem. The Flat Top Pens pictured are Purpleheart and Flamed Box Elder. The Box Elder was a corner scrap left over from cutting a bowl blank..........so now I will have scraps laying everywhere waiting to be used as pen blanks.............just what I needed! ;) The Slimline Pens are Cherry, and the darker one is Lacewood. Talk about fun, turning pens is a good time, and they are quick from start to finish. Took a while on the first one, a Slimline Cherry Pen, but after I figured out what I was doing, it was fairly straightforward. I finished each of these with Hut Crystal Coat, which is a nice finish. Thanks again Ken for the necessary Pen turning stuff, and the advice and answers to my many questions...........couldn't have done it without ya Rebel! :D
Thanks for taking a look! FUN.......FUN.........FUN! ;)

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
11-07-2003, 7:39 PM
Well, here they are! My first attempt at Turning Pens. With the help of Ken Salisbury, I have managed to crank out 5 pens without a single problem... Slimline Cherry Pen, but after I figured out what I was doing, it was fairly straightforward. I finished each of these with Hut Crystal Coat, which is a nice finish. Thanks again Ken for the necessary Pen turning stuff, and the advice and answers to my many questions...........couldn't have done it without ya Rebel! :D

Congrats Kevin! Those pens look nice! I can imagine the help from Ken. It was he and Scott Greaves who got me started down that road a few months back. Keep up the good work. It's a lot of fun to just spend some time doing pens after fighting a stubborn roughed out bowl! Keep posting picts!

Ron

Scott Greaves
11-07-2003, 9:21 PM
Kevin! Wow! Those are great! So, are you addicted now? :D

That flat top in the boxelder is fantastic! I love that touch of red down there. I, too, like Crystal Coat. Remember to keep your first pen!

What's next? Buy some Micro Mesh, get a couple of stabilized blanks from Bill Baumbeck of Arisonasilhouette.com, and try out one of Berea's new El Grande pens with the fancy centerband!

Ken is a great teacher! I don't know where I'd be without a couple of timely hints from him, and his constant good example! Thanks from all of us, Ken!

Scott.

Tom Sweeney
11-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Next you'll have to try Christmas ornaments :D

I especially like the box elder - I'll have to try some whenever I get started on pens.

Great first effort - looks like Ken or Scott or some other old pro (sorry Scott :-) made them. :cool:

Brad Schafer
11-08-2003, 9:23 AM
good stuff, Gersty. i'm partial to the cherry myself,

b

Wayne Hribar
11-08-2003, 9:55 PM
Looks great.I hope my first try looks that good,still trying to "master" bowls and turned boxes.
Wayne

Ken Salisbury
11-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Well, here they are! My first attempt at Turning Pens. With the help of Ken Salisbury, I have managed to crank out 5 pens without a single problem.

Really a good job - looks like you are already an accomplished pen maker - glad I could help ya.

That flat top in the boxelder is fantastic! I love that touch of red down there. I, too, like Crystal Coat. Remember to keep your first pen!
Ken is a great teacher! I don't know where I'd be without a couple of timely hints from him, and his constant good example! Thanks from all of us, Ken!

Yes - defintely keep your first pen !! I wish I had kept my first one.

Thanks Scott for the kind words !!

Talk about fun, turning pens is a good time, and they are quick from start to finish. Took a while on the first one, a Slimline Cherry Pen, but after I figured out what I was doing, it was fairly straightforward. I finished each of these with Hut Crystal Coat, which is a nice finish. Thanks again Ken for the necessary Pen turning stuff, and the advice and answers to my many questions...........couldn't have done it without ya Rebel! :D

Yes - it is fun - and I am sure you could have done it without the "Rebel". Looks like you are running out of pen kits already. I still have about 500 kits (both slimlines and FT's) left (which I did not return). Let me know if you need restocking :D. You will probably give or sell a lot as Xmas gifts.

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-09-2003, 1:50 PM
Don't sell yourself short Ken.............the questions you answered for me were the key to these turning out as well as they did. I really appreciate the help Ken...........and some if the credit is rightfully yours............I always give credit where credit is due. Your right, I need more pen kits..........I will be in touch next week for another order. Thanks again Ken, I appreciate the help and supplies. :)

Kevin

Matt Bridges
11-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Great job Kevin! Looks like you've been turning pens for a while, not just a beginner :)

Matt