PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
12-11-2006, 9:58 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

As it was stated on Friday....It's getting closer and closer to Christmas. Are YOU ready for Christmas? :confused:

I'm still working on the computer desk....still.....I'm having issuses with the black lacquer finish and have been spending time reading online, emailing, and talking on the phone to a few folks that could possibly provide me some advice to get this finish well under way and done. I'm getting closer, but after all this? I WILL put out a "how I did a black lacquer finish" so that others don't have to go through what all I've been going through. Sheesh!! :rolleyes:

I've had the pleasure of talking with Jim Becker this weekend over spray finish and lacquer questions. Thanks Jim!!!! Really enjoyed the conversation.

Today, it's poking around and see if I can find some lacquer retarder since it will be raining here most of the week so I can try and prevent an "blushing" of the finish.

Played bass for the Christmas program at church Sunday, family time, and watched a little tv last night since I don't watch tv any other time.

BTW, if you haven't donated to help Steve Clardy and would like to donate? Please do so this week and post in the OT Forum in the thread already there for helping Steve.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all..!!!!

Jim Becker
12-11-2006, 10:20 AM
The weekend was largely what was expected...Saturday morning "rat race" with the younger's dance class, a quick stop at the place I plan on buying my trailer...err...lumber hauler...from to check prices, a quick stop at 'Creeker Robert Tarr's house at the request of "the younger" to say hello and a bunch of shop time working on the Cherry Vanity Project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45792&page=4). (See the Saturday, 9 December updates) We also watched The Rescuers for a family movie on Saturday night.

Sunday started out fine with donuts and latté, and I even got out to the shop to get started on the drawers for the vanity, but some behavior issues with "the older" curtailed my shop time for the remainder of the day. Things did smooth out later in the day and we had a nice early family dinner at a local Japanese/Thai/Korean place that recently opened. A nice conversation with Uncle Dennis on the phone after that rounded out the evening!

Al Willits
12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Found out friday the truck tranny isn't just a bit hurt, it need a major rebuild....grrrrr
But, Sat and Sunday were spent in the garage/shop, made a bunch of racks to put clamps on, finished the TS sled waxed it and made a little rack to hold the rolls of emery cloth I have Saturday.

Sunday was gonna be starting the sideboard for the wife, but the bandsaw still doesn't cut as straight as I like, so I found about three different articles on setting your bandsaw, cranked up the stereo and started in, replaced the smaller blade with the 3/4" I got for resawing and
spent an afternoon setting the saw and Kreg fence up.
Something about being able to cut a straight line that makes life enjoyable... :)

All in all a enjoyable weekend...:)

Al

Tyler Howell
12-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Hey Dennis,
Productive weekend.
Packing, moving and shuffling.
Attended a couple of parties. Great to see old friends and catch up.
They got a big kick out of the Abysseration story.
Had Satellite TV installed. Read the extra fine print. Every time I turned around they were trying to tack on another charge or fee:mad:. Great picture and now 155 channels with nothing to look at.:rolleyes:
Play safe this week.
Tyler

Ken Fitzgerald
12-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Saturday morning a little turning time. Saturday afternoon and evening a local family Christmas dinner as the LOML and I are going to spend Christmas with her Mom in Illinois.

Sunday.......more turning frustrations........wood kept cracking on me...the wood is at least 5-7 years in the drying process and about 2 1/2 inches thick........Got paged out ot work on an xray machine....back to turning.....

Jim Hager
12-11-2006, 11:07 AM
I did an order of red oak raised panel doors for a local contractor. 20 arched topped, 19 square topped and 19 drawer fronts. I finished up by noon Sunday and went loafing around a bit yesterday afternoon.

Dennis, if you are having some issues with the lacquer give me a shout and I'll see if I can tell you what I did with the black lacquer stuff. Everything worked out really good on my end. I'll be out of touch with the internet for the next two days but I'll be happy to help out over the phone if needed.

Mark Pruitt
12-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Dennis, if you have a Sherwin-Williams close to you, they sell a Lacquer Retarder that works great.

My weekend? Very good and very bad. Had a vessel break during turning (for the second time), putting me all the more behind the 8 ball on getting Christmas presents completed. That's the bad. The good is, I scored a Stihl chainsaw on Saturday. The trees are trembling!:eek: :D

Art Mulder
12-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Great picture and now 155 channels with nothing to look at.

So... are you going to be able to get high speed internet at the new place?

Tyler Howell
12-11-2006, 12:38 PM
So... are you going to be able to get high speed internet at the new place?
Hey Art,
They and others offer the service. I have a 3 LNB eliptical dish.
I'm going to wait till I'm full itme to pull that trigger.
Maybe they'll have DSL by then.
Some of the other communities in the area have gone DSL

Jim O'Dell
12-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Well, I didn't get as much accomplished as I wanted. I tweaked my back late Fri evening putting the last log on the fire. Was pretty much useless Sat. Got better as time went on, but had to cancel the garage door work for my friend. Needed to cut all the plywood Sat, and just wasn't up to it.
Sunday I finished hanging the insulation in the finishing room. Now I need to get some plastic for the vapor barrier, and get all that done. Well, actually I need some more of those soffit chutes for the finishing room, then put up some of the left over insulation in some strategic locations around some of the obstacles, then do the vapor barrier. The list grows faster than it gets marked off! Jim.

David Duke
12-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Worked at the real job 1/2 day Saturday,that evening I did get a little shop time in. Sunday my son and DIL came over for lunch, I went and picked up my mom so she could visit with her great grandson.

Brian Knodel
12-11-2006, 2:08 PM
Learned a few new cuss words trying to figure out this joint, but if finally got it. In my excitement of success with the joint, I glued it all together and a few hours latter I realized that I had forgot to glue the bottom in. Oh well on to plan B …. Modify something.

Brian

Jesse Thornton
12-11-2006, 3:14 PM
On Saturday I accomplished a whole lot of nuthin', which was actually quite gratifying. I'd been pushing myself throughout the week, so it was really nice to kick back for a day and not think about my 'to-do novella'. Feeling rejuvenated on Sunday, I planed and glued up a dozen sections of a large u-shaped maple countertop for my mother-in-law's kitchen. I bought a handful of these veritas panel clamps for the job, and am really delighted with them:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=31181&cat=1,41637
They may seem pricey, but they are exceptionally well machined and make it really really simple to keep things dead flat. I reckon I'll invest in a few more once I have the dough.

Don Bullock
12-11-2006, 3:49 PM
Saturday morning was taken up by a dog show. It was the first show for one of our bassets. She did well. The judge didn't like her that much though. The judge did like my other basset hound. She came close to being selected best of breed, but lost to the number one female basset in the country. For now, I'll take close. The judge really liked her.

I did get a chance to buy a miter saw stand for my new miter saw. I went with a Ryobi stand that was on sale at the big orange box store. It's a nice stand. I know I should build one myself, but for now I needed something to put my new miter saw on. The saw is now on the stand and ready to use.

Sunday was filled with a dog show and a late lunch with friends. The judge on Sunday liked the puppy, but didn't like our champion. The puppy was first in the bred by exhibitor class and best of breed went to a dog from the classes over the three champions in the ring, including ours. For those who nothing about dog shows, that's not good, except for the owner of the dog.

Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to do some woodworking.

Art Mulder
12-11-2006, 3:53 PM
This was kind of pre-weekend work...

But I got "stuck" with the job of making a lamp post for our church play. They're doing some excerpts from "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" as part of the Advent services.

I had expected some help, but that didn't come, and this got dumped on me last Tuesday. Fortunately, I got inspired Wednesday morning, and got this done over Wednesday night and Thursday.

SketchUp! was a big help in helping me figure out some of the design details. In particular I wanted it to be modular, to make it a lot easier to put up and take down.

...art

jeremy levine
12-11-2006, 3:53 PM
Learned a few new cuss words trying to figure out this joint, but if finally got it. In my excitement of success with the joint, I glued it all together and a few hours latter I realized that I had forgot to glue the bottom in. Oh well on to plan B …. Modify something.

Brian

So how do you do it ?

Brad Noble
12-11-2006, 3:54 PM
I went to a buddys shop on Saturday and he built me a nice new cross cut sled.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/Wall_Shots003.jpg

His name is Mark Marzluf and he has built a sled very similar to this one for himself a couple of years back and I always commented on how well I liked it. He finally got the hint and agreed to help build one for me. He's a great guy to be around anyway.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/Wall_Shots002-1.jpg

As you can see, it is a very nice sled design. T-Tracks for hold downs, adjustable to where ever, and the replaceable slide in ZCI insert (I have three). The ZCI inserts are for standard blade, dado stack 1/2" and 3/4".

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/Wall_Shots001-1.jpg

It is 36" wide and 24" between front and rear fences. It has scales on the back fence to use in conjunction with the stop block.

It was a real good weekend for me. And I think Mark actually enjoyed himself also.

Brad

Frank Snyder
12-11-2006, 4:53 PM
Brian - I love that joinery. It looks like the corner pieces are independant from the sides. Just exactly how did you make those corners?

Also, if this is a drawer, I think you want to leave the bottom floating (no glue). If the bottom rattles, a few strategically placed dabs of silicone caulk can do the trick.

What new cuss words did you learn :D?

Brian Knodel
12-11-2006, 4:56 PM
So how do you do it ?
They are called corner post dovetails and these were cut on the Jointech system but can be made equally well on the Incra system. I’m sure anyone handy at making dovetails by hand could make them as well. Photos may explain it better than I can. Hope this helps.

Brian

Robert Mayer
12-11-2006, 5:04 PM
I cut, planed, and jointed about $300 worth of wood for a friends cabinets doors. Only to have nearly every single piece warp horribly. I cut it in the cold garage and brought it inside to start gluing it up, which was why it warped.

I was so frustrated I nearly threw all of it piece by piece across the room. So I made a cutting board, which seems to be the only thing i dont screw up.

Brian Knodel
12-11-2006, 5:20 PM
Brian - I love that joinery. It looks like the corner pieces are independant from the sides. Just exactly how did you make those corners?

Also, if this is a drawer, I think you want to leave the bottom floating (no glue). If the bottom rattles, a few strategically placed dabs of silicone caulk can do the trick.

What new cuss words did you learn :D?
Frank, I posted some photo instructions from the Incra manual.

It’s not a drawer but a small box measuring about 10x6. I think I have figured out how to make a different bottom as it will just be part of the base.

As to the new cuss words … one kinda sounded like ‘dang it’, only a little harsher, the rest I can’t … Oh forget it, you get the idea.

Have a good day

Brian

everett lowell
12-11-2006, 5:33 PM
Worked sat. and spent sunday making my 1st crosscut sled.Didnt come out right tho! I'm off about 12 thousands in a five inch cross cut,I made the fence adjustable, but I'm not sure about the runners, mabye to loose in the slots. I dunno , on to sled #2 I guess!:o

Frank Snyder
12-11-2006, 6:07 PM
Thanks, Brian. Those illustrations helped alot. I may attempt to replicate this joint down the road, but without an Jointech or Incra system. I look forward to learning new swear words on my journey ;).

Earl Reid
12-11-2006, 6:26 PM
I finished a oak chest for my grandson. It was my first oak project.
Earl