PDA

View Full Version : TS joint quality edge

John Grossi
12-11-2006, 6:30 AM
As you guessed, I do not own a jointer. I can get a nice straight edge with my table saw, holding my work to a straight edge along my rip fence. Just read where a triple-chip grind blade would be perfect for this application. Any suggestions on a quality blade? Also would this blade be a good overall table saw blade, or would I dedicate it just for getting that joint quality edge? Paul

Jim Becker
12-11-2006, 9:07 AM
There are so-called "glue line" rip blade available that will leave a very nice surface on the wood. (I get the same with my WW-II). As long as you can use feather boards and other devices to keep the wood solid against the fence and push the board through the cut with an even speed and motion, you should get a decent edge. Note, that this is something that increases in difficulty as the length of the pieces increase. How flat the board actually is will also affect the quality of the joint you get after cutting...

The grind of the blade can help with this operation, but a lot of it is the operator's actions during the cut.

Brian Kent
12-13-2006, 1:51 AM
I'm pretty impressed with the cut with a WWII blade on a well-adjusted saw & fence and feather boards. I do not have to plane the edge any more and the cut edges are almost polished.