PDA

View Full Version : Marble & Granite Tiles

Gary Hair
12-11-2006, 1:15 AM
If we engrave on either marble or granite is there a sealer of some sort that would allow you use them for floor tiles and not damage the engraving? Or, are they only for artistic purposes and really not to be used for flooring? (or countertops for that matter)
Thanks for any advice!
Gary

Joe Pelonio
12-11-2006, 8:16 AM
Both granite and marble are durable natural stones. When engraving all we are doing is breaking the glossy surface, what remains is still stone. Even with people walking on them they should hold up fine without any sealer. If used on a countertop the issue would be staining, and both are porous enough that staining could happen, engraved or not, but more so in the engraved areas. The sealer to use is what's recommended by the kitchen department at the home center that sells the solid granite/marble countertops. I think it's a silicone based product.

Tom Cullen
12-11-2006, 12:05 PM
I agree with Joe,
A sealer is essential, I did a small coffee table for a friend using black marble and he spilled some salsa on it and had a hell of a time removing the stain. Acid based liquids ( stains ) are very hard to remove from engraved areas without a sealer having first been applied.

Vicky Orsini
12-11-2006, 12:18 PM
What is your sealer of preference for this type of application?

Bill Cunningham
12-11-2006, 2:17 PM
Hi Vicky.. The Sealer from Home Depot is called TileLab Grout and Tile Sealer
It's about $26.00 a gallon (Canadian)

Vicky Orsini
12-11-2006, 2:33 PM
Thanks, Bill. :)