PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut Project

Derek Williams
12-11-2006, 12:35 AM
I am building a dutch leaf (butterfly) table out of black walnut. Closed it will be 60x60 and open 60x100. I have some 9/4x20+x108 book matched stock. My question, I am concerned about the overall thickness of the material esp being in closed position the proportions of the table will be off. I also hate to turn 4/4 of walnut into dust. Would you recomend resawing the lumber and ending up with two 4/4brds? Could this be a potential disaster releasing stress in the boards? Thoughts, ideas please....

Alan Turner
12-11-2006, 6:13 AM
If you decide to resaw these planks, get some help as they will be hard to handle, at best. And, let us know how they come out. When I have resawn woods that are hard to dry, such as white oak and hard maple, I have had a bunch of movement. But on woods that are less difficult to properly dry, I have generally had good results. But, these are quite thick at 9/4, and so the results will need to await the event.
If you just plane them down, then you will sure have a big pile of shavings.

And, of course, a welcome to SMC is in order as this seems to be your first post.

Kevin Proaper
12-11-2006, 7:17 AM
Or save them for a different project. Hate to see nice wood not maximized to it's fullest.