PDA

View Full Version : Starrett...again

Ryan Cathey
12-10-2006, 8:35 PM
I'm telling ya, they just seem to be following me or something. This weekend I found a Starrett level at an antique store for 15 bucks. It's 6 inches long with three intact vials and 98% japanning. I thought it was cool on account of how heavy it is. Thanks in advance. Oh yeah I also found my first Erik Anton Berg chisel, the handle is in sad shape but it is monstrous at something like 1 7/16" wide.

-Ryan C.

EDIT: There was a question on calibration costs but I just read more into it and I see now there is a cost.

Bill Houghton
12-10-2006, 8:55 PM
The old Starrett levels are said to be very very precise - not surprising, since their major market was machinists. This may mean that you won't want to use it for checking level on kitchen counters, since you don't need that level of precision, but it can be dynamite for setting up machinery.

Ryan Cathey
12-11-2006, 9:51 AM
Unfortunately I don't have much machinery to set up but it is going to look good in the tool box I keep telling myself I'm going to build.

-Ryan C.

Ken Werner
12-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Ryan, you can't go wrong with a Starrett.
ken

Dave Anderson NH
12-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Starrett is great stuff. I was fortunate enuf to pick up both a 4" and a 6" combination square at an auction a couple of years ago for $25. Both were at least 60 years old and both were perfect in their squareness. Quality is quality, no matter what the age.

Tyler Howell
12-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't see no Starrett stuff:confused: :confused:
Pix:D

Ryan Cathey
12-11-2006, 7:12 PM
I wish I could Tyler but I am not much on the technological side. Even if I had a digital camera I don't think I could figure out how to attach the pictures. Sorry

-Ryan C.