PDA

View Full Version : Velvit Oil

Matt P
12-10-2006, 8:31 PM
Hi,
Someone highly recommended Velvit Oil to me. Said to mix it with 30% poly gloss first. Does anyone know if it's any better or worse than Watco/BLO combinations?
Thanks,
Matt

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 8:55 PM
Folks that use Velvit Oil seem to love Velvit Oil. (I have not tried it...yet) But I can't imagine ever wanting to mix it with poly... The manufacturer says that the product doesn't need additional "protection" as it's a drying oil that cures in the wood. I generally have found that products like this are best used as directed to be "the" finish.

If you want to mix up an oil/varnish, it would be quite effective to use BLO and the varnish of your choice along with some mineral spirits to thin to wiping consistancy. Some folks do a 1/3-1/3-1/3 mixture. Or buy some Waterlox...and just wipe it on. ;)

Matt P
12-10-2006, 10:27 PM
thanks again

Matt P
12-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Last question. I've been read a lot about mixing finishes, and a question is this: What does mixing the BLO and varnish give over just applying straight varnish?

John Miliunas
12-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Matt, I'm a pretty big Velvit Oil user. How you finish it will depend largely on the ultimate use of the piece. If it's like a table or such, I'd probably do the Velvit (at least 3 coats), let it completely dry, then hit it with whatever clear-coat you desire. However, if it's something not subject to heavy use (jewelry boxes, stands, etc...), Velvit alone is fantastic! :) The key is patience. Lots of coats (4 or 5) and then, for one or two finish coats, apply some of the VO and use wet/dry sandpaper to really rub it in. I typically will go to 400, then 600 and sometimes, even 800. This process is a bit more labor-intense but, the results are truly fabulous! :) :cool:

Matt P
12-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks John,
I will try it - the extra work doesn't sound so bad compared with rubbing out shellac - a consuming experience for me lately.
Matt

Matt P
12-10-2006, 11:06 PM
I found this article to be good. He argues that the benefits of an oil finish far outweigh varnish..

John Miliunas
12-11-2006, 8:14 AM
I found this article to be good. He argues that the benefits of an oil finish far outweigh varnish..

Wow, "Badger Pond"! If that isn't a blast from the past! :D Anyhow, thanks for posting the article, Matt! Although the author doesn't address Velvit Oil specifically, that's very similar to the regime I use for it. I've even gone with 600 or 800 wet/dry on my Porter Cable Speed Bloc sander and a little oil for the last coat or two. Phenomenal finish!:) The only caveat with finishes like that for tables and such is, a LOT of folks won't take the time to maintain it as is described, especially if the piece is for someone other than an experienced woodworker. In those cases, I think a clear-coat protect-ant may still be preferred. However, if the piece is to remain in your own home or the recipient is willing to literally "adopt" the piece into their home, the oil/wax finish is definitely the prettiest. :) :cool:

Jim Becker
12-11-2006, 9:27 AM
Last question. I've been read a lot about mixing finishes, and a question is this: What does mixing the BLO and varnish give over just applying straight varnish?
It results in a "softer" finish that soaks into the wood surface more, rather than sitting on top...this is sometimes referred to as a "Danish Oil" finish to the best of my knowledge. While the oil cures by itself, adding varnish results in a harder finish, but not as hard as the varnish, alone. You've directly changed the properties of the finish unlike when you dilute with MS to make the varnish easier to apply by wiping. The latter results in the same varnish finish including properties, but in thinner coats. (More applications necessary to reach the same film thickness.

A varnish/oil mixture can have a very nice silky look and feel and works nicely on certain species...usually closed grain woods like cherry, but also nicely on things like teak. The extra oil in the mixture brings out the rich color of the wood. Of course, you can do that with just an oil application before top coating, too...

Steve Schoene
12-11-2006, 9:31 AM
Velvit Oil is already a mixture of oil and varnish. If you need the protective qualities of varnish, then its best to use varnish. Waterlox is a fine product, or you can thin any oil based varnish to wiping varnish consistency.

Mixing BLO with varnish--and often with some added mineral spirits, gives a finish that applies like an oil--apply and then wipe off the excess--and which gives a very similar in-the-wood appearance. It will be harder and offer quite a bit more protection against things like water spotting. BLO offers almost no protection in that area. Watco is probably the most common of the oil/varnish mixes.

Howard Acheson
12-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Hi,
Someone highly recommended Velvit Oil to me. Said to mix it with 30% poly gloss first. Does anyone know if it's any better or worse than Watco/BLO combinations?
Thanks,
Matt

As Steve just said, Velvit Oil is an oil/varnish mixture very similar to other oil/varnish mixtures like Watco Danish Oil, Minwax Tung Oil Finish and many others. You can easily make your own by mixing equal parts of varnish or poly varnish, boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits.

Nothing magic in Velvit Oil.