PDA

View Full Version : Which 'Bot would you buy?

Neville Stewart
12-10-2006, 4:26 PM
I posted this on the 'Bot site too, but it never hurts to have as many ideas as possible.
OK, here goes ~ I dont have an unlimited budget but am considering a 60x120 Alpha(new model) with a spindle, or router. I would eventually like to make some cool carved large doors, signs & architectural millwork & cabinets. I'm not very experienced with CAD or 3D & am functional on the computer. I'm going to put the 'Bot in a room 10 x 20 that is apx 20 ft way from where I would probably have the computer/office, or would a "desk" on the exterior of the room be better. If you were able to, how would you best spend $20K to have the "Ultimate" set up & layout for that price. Thanks for all your advice over the year, BTW, and thanks for this too ~ Neville

Bob Reda
12-10-2006, 4:44 PM
Neville,

I have my computer right next to the Bot. That way I am right there in case anything goes wrong, i need to adjust my program, giving instructions to the bot and so forth. I can't imagine going into another room to do all this. Of course that would allow me to get my exercise and maybe lose some wait:D

Ed Lang
12-10-2006, 5:11 PM
computer next to the machine.

I have a 4'X8' and now will be upgrading it to 5'X8' since I am cutting a lot of 5'x5' baltic birch ply on it. I am tired of cutting off a 12" slice that I need to then put back on the machine.

I still have the PC7518 router and as much as I want a spindle, I am glad I didn't get one yet. I will buy a second Z before I get a spindle.

I am running two Fein Turbo-III's and love them so I hope you have them in the back of your mind as well.

Ed

Neville Stewart
12-10-2006, 6:27 PM
Hey Ed, I was following your section on the Bot site. Why do you say you're glad you didnt get a spindle off the bat? and why 2 Z's?

Ed Lang
12-10-2006, 6:55 PM
The spindle is more $$ than a router and I am broke after buying a Oneway 2436 lathe, Laser and CNC all in one year! But having a lot of fun using them!!

The spindle is on the long list of things to get, but I am doing just find with the router. If I had more power arount the 10K - 13K speed, I could cut faster. I run the router as slow as it will go to keep the chipload close to right. So, co$t was the only reason to not get a spindle.

Two Z's will allow me to have a 5MM or a .25" bit online for drilling and a .375" bit online for part cuts without a bit change and rezero of the Z. Or I could use a V bit and a .375 for my sign work.

Are you going to the Jamboree this year?

Neville Stewart
12-10-2006, 7:06 PM
Now I get the Z's , sounds wise. Well, I'll be passing on the Oneway & Laser
( you lucky dog), so I'm seriously considering the spindle. My reasoning is that I would hate to think 6 months down the road, that I wished I had gone spindle, but during my learning phase would I be better off messing up a $300 router versus a $5K spindle? and yes I will be at the camp. I had a great time meeting all you guys last year.

Keith Outten
12-10-2006, 10:59 PM
I posted this on the 'Bot site too, but it never hurts to have as many ideas as possible.
OK, here goes ~ I dont have an unlimited budget but am considering a 60x120 Alpha(new model) with a spindle, or router. I would eventually like to make some cool carved large doors, signs & architectural millwork & cabinets. I'm not very experienced with CAD or 3D & am functional on the computer. I'm going to put the 'Bot in a room 10 x 20 that is apx 20 ft way from where I would probably have the computer/office, or would a "desk" on the exterior of the room be better. If you were able to, how would you best spend $20K to have the "Ultimate" set up & layout for that price. Thanks for all your advice over the year, BTW, and thanks for this too ~ Neville

Neville,

Often you will need your computer close to the ShopBot when setting up for one of kind jobs. The extra 20 feet would make this difficult for me anyway. The cable from the control box isn't very long, you will have some changes to make before you could extend the distance from Bot to computer.

You may want to wait a bit before making your decision about which Bot to purchase. I read on the ShopBot Forum that Ted announced a new model might be available in February. There isn't much information available yet, watch their forum for updates.

The spindle is more powerful and produces much less noise than a PC router. If mass production is in your business plan or you intend to run the Bot 8 hours per day the payback for the spindle will be quick. For custom work where time is not the most important issue a router is inexpensive and easy to repair/replace. The run-out on the spindle is a much tighter tolerance than a router so the spindle would be best for close tolerance work.