PDA

View Full Version : The best wood to turn bowls?

Hilel Salomon
12-10-2006, 4:19 PM
Just had shoulder surgery (torn rotator cuff) at the same time I had arthroscopic knee surgery so.... I am chaffing at the bit to do something. In my usual denial mode, I bought a bunch of exotic blanks and now.... I'm wondering if some of you would like to comment on what is your favorite wood to make bowls out of (sorry preposition at end). As a mediocre turner, my favorite is cedar. Not only are the colors nice, but my dogs appreciate the shavings and sanding can cover up lack of technique. I would, though, be interested in other turners' comments. If you do respond, could you mention what techniques you use to hollow and what you do to finish the bowls. Thanks, HB

My favorite quote is "if I am not for myself who will be? If I'm only for myself, what am I"?

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 4:57 PM
"Free wood" is my favorite, especially when it's cherry. I several David Ellsworth gouges to cut/hollow and most bowls get either an oil/varnish mixture rubbed on while still mounted on the lathe (to "push" with friction) or shellac.

George Tokarev
12-10-2006, 5:16 PM
Second the free, and green is easier to cut than cured, so consider some barkside up stuff or other warp-and-go styles for your PT projects. Should be easier if you ease back in that way. Don't believe I'd do many projects that involved hollowing or scraping.

Keep your elbow on your operation side in close to your body and make your cut entries full-body swings rather than pushes with extended arms. Don't use heavy handles you have to support, just long for control and light for lift. Keep the rest close to make the slightest input count.

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2006, 5:16 PM
Have to agree with Jim - Free Wood is the best! For a finish I use 2 coats of Watco Natural Danish Oil and then buff. As far as hollowing techniques I try my best to follow Bill Grumbine's bowl turning video as close as possible - it really does work!

John Hart
12-10-2006, 6:17 PM
Free Curly Maple is my favorite. I like its hardness and the curl offers some spectacular swirls in the curvature of the bowl.

Joash Boyton
12-10-2006, 9:44 PM
Godd old auzzie jarrah is my favourite;)

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Free cherry or maple is my favorite. Of course walnut ranks pretty highly in there.

Jason Christenson
12-11-2006, 9:47 AM
According to the Grammar Girl blog that old rule about not ending a sentence with a preposition is no longer in effect. :)