PDA

View Full Version : Cutting 4x4s with 7-1/4 CS

Hans Loeblich
12-10-2006, 2:41 PM
I am just starting in woodworking, and one of my first projects will involve cutting 4x4s. I've never done this before, but it seems like it would be impossible to get the end perfectly flush from having to do two cuts. I was just wondering if there are tricks to getting it flush?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2006, 2:58 PM
Hans.........Layout a line all the way around the 4x4. Cut one side...rotate the 4x4 90 degrees...Use the partial cut line as a guide to insert your saw blade....finish the cut on that side.....rotate the 4x4 90 degrees....do it again as necessary to finish the cut.

When you rotate the 4x4 rotate the side away from you to become the UP side. You should have a partially cut line on top now......Insert you saw blade without it being turned on into that cut line....when the blade is about 1/16th of an inch from engaging the uncut portion and the blade feels like it's parallel to the cut portion.....start the saw and finish the cut on that side. Again, rotate the side away from you so that it's up....continue the process.

Another alternative is to mark a line all the way around the 4x4 ...cut one side with the CS and finish with a hand saw.

Another alterative layout a line all the way around the 4x4 .....clamp a guide in a postion where it will allow the CS to cut the line correctly.....make the cut with the guide clamped to the 4x4.....rotate the 4x4....clamp the guide.....make the cut....rotate and repeat as necessary.....

Good luck and be careful! I know of a lady working with a CS who accidentally cut her femoral artery! All tools are dangerous and if it doesn't feel right....it probably isn't!

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 3:27 PM
Speed square and several cuts, rotating the piece between them. Mark the cut line around first, place the saw so the blade is where it needs to be and then use the speed square to guide the cut. If you are careful, you'll have a nice cut that requires minimal cleanup.

Joe Foggia
12-10-2006, 6:18 PM
One tip is to make sure your saw is cutting 90 degrees. If it isn't you can not get a clean cut. First things first. Joe

Steve Clardy
12-10-2006, 7:37 PM
Speed square and 3 cuts