PDA

View Full Version : Behlan's Salad Bowl Finish

David Fried
12-10-2006, 2:35 PM
For the first time, I am using Behlan's Salad Bowl Finish on a piece.

Trying to follow the directions, that's probably my problem. I applied a light coat, let it dry overnight, lightly wet sanded with 400 grit, and cleaned with mineral spirits.

I've got three light coats on now and the finish looks blotchy, like it has been completely sucked up by the wood in some spots but not others.

Does anyone have experience with this stuff?

Any idea how many light coats should be resonable to get a decent finish?

Thanks in advance

Hank Merkle
12-10-2006, 4:03 PM
What is the wood, what temprature, what are you applying it with?

Hank Merkle

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2006, 4:19 PM
Dave, haven't used Behlan's but have used General and have to figure they are going to be close to the same. I usually end up putting on 3 coats before I even think about sanding. Have to have something built up to work with first.

Also, have to agree with Hank - type of wood makes a huge difference.

David Fried
12-10-2006, 4:42 PM
What is the wood, what temprature, what are you applying it with?

Hank Merkle

Black Walnut
65 degrees (F)
a rag

David Fried
12-10-2006, 4:43 PM
Dave, haven't used Behlan's but have used General and have to figure they are going to be close to the same. I usually end up putting on 3 coats before I even think about sanding. Have to have something built up to work with first.

Also, have to agree with Hank - type of wood makes a huge difference.

OK ... I'll try building up a couple of light coats before sanding. It is looking better with each coat, just taking longer than expected.

Thanks

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 4:55 PM
65º is pushing things for an oil-based finish to cure. You may want to consider warming both the piece and the finish a bit...the latter can be done in a water bath.

David Fried
12-10-2006, 4:59 PM
65º is pushing things for an oil-based finish to cure. You may want to consider warming both the piece and the finish a bit...the latter can be done in a water bath.

Eeek ... turn up the heat in the house? :eek:

Well, ok ... just for a few days :D

Hope 68 will do it. The can says it drys in 6 hours of something and I did notice it was still tacky at that point so I started to let it dry 24 hours between coats.

Thanks

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2006, 11:01 PM
David I used the Behlens on Walnut plates. I found that 70 deg. or more is the best. It will dry in 6 hrs. at those temps but will definately takes longer any lower than 70. Also I would not sand until you have at least three light coats on. I found then lightly sand with 320 or 400.

John Hart
12-11-2006, 6:52 AM
I've been using Behlens Woodturner Finish and it seems to behave quite well. It's ready for sanding or steel wood after one hour. Since you're a woodturner...maybe that's the problem....Woodturners Finish should be used by woodturners, and Salad Bowl Finish should be used by salad bowls.:confused: ;) :D

David Fried
12-11-2006, 9:02 AM
I've been using Behlens Woodturner Finish and it seems to behave quite well. It's ready for sanding or steel wood after one hour. Since you're a woodturner...maybe that's the problem....Woodturners Finish should be used by woodturners, and Salad Bowl Finish should be used by salad bowls.:confused: ;) :D

have you been sawing tables again??!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Naw David he has been spraying lacquer again.:eek: :eek: :p :p

John Hart
12-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Naw David he has been spraying lacquer again.:eek: :eek: :p :p

That's not true!! (hic):o Excuse me now....I need to go sand my belt.;) :)

Mark Pruitt
12-11-2006, 11:33 AM
John, you're pressing your drill on this...I think you know that.:D

Bob Way
12-11-2006, 11:40 AM
I use the Behlen's Salad Bowl finish quite often. I finish while the piece is still mounted on the lathe. I turn the machine off, dip a small rag into the finish and wipe it on, rotating the piece by hand as I do. I don't soak it, but do a light film, because the next step is to turn the lathe on at slow speed. Using the same rag, I smooth the finish out, then increase the speed and kind of burnish it in. What I find I need to look out for are ridges or marks caused by the rag. If those happen, I refresh the rag a tad bit and smooth them out. Then I leave it alone usually overnight. Any sanding I do in between coats is done with either 320 or a maroon scotch brite pad. I don't necessarily count my coats, since I will continue the process until I get the look I want. Here's a picture of a piece that has some walnut in it that finished this way with the Behlen's. It's a good product, and I hope it works out for you.

John Hart
12-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Uh...Bob....That's not a Salad Bowl. You should be using Behlen's Segmented Hollow Form Finish.;) Ok....I'll shut up.:o

Oh!....By the way....Beautiful piece!!

Ok...now shutting up.:)

Bob Way
12-11-2006, 12:39 PM
You know, I kind of thought of that as I was posting it. I almost had myself talked into calling it a skinny, tall, design challenged salad bowl. But, that's the only walnut piece I had a picture of where I used the finish. Maybe noone else will notice.:)