PDA

View Full Version : How to heat a room for drywalling?

Brian Elfert
12-10-2006, 2:26 PM
I plan to finish three rooms over my garage. The drywallers will want heat during the taping phase and I certainly don't want to use my furnace.

Any suggestions on a heat source that won't kill everyone with CO? I would like to use electric heat, but I don't want to spend $200 and up on a large electric heater either.

When the house was built five years ago, the contractor used a large round metal propane convection heater, but it stunk terribly and I would guess it gave off CO. The workers always turned it off when working because of the smell.

Brian Elfert

Ken Werner
12-11-2006, 11:51 AM
how about some electric 220V baseboard heaters? Maybe used ones can be had for cheap, and new they are not too pricey at the borg. If you have a 220 outlet, you could make a plug...
Oddball idea, FWIW.
Ken

Tyler Howell
12-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Local power company has some 110 and 220 milk house heaters they loan out if your HVAC fails.
I'll bet you could rent something for that period of time.

Ben Grunow
12-11-2006, 9:25 PM
Brian- Dont go crazy over the drywall dust and your furnace. Operat the heat unitle they start to hang the boards and then just turn it off. If it is on the 2nd floor of your house it will probably stay reasonably warm all day. Anyway it is nice to work in high 50s or more and it shouldnt get that cold.

When drywalling in a finished house where heat is a must we buy 3" or 4" thick pleated air filters and blue tape them over the returns. They get vacuumed out at the end of each day and keep the ducts clean.

Also, the worst dust is during the hanging stage (which goes quick) and the last day of taping when sanding happens (which goes quick too). Get a couple filters and cover the returns and rest easy.

Good luck

Ben

Brian Elfert
12-11-2006, 9:37 PM
Not heating for the day really depends on how the project works out. There is a sheetrocked wall that needs to be removed at some point that seperates the unfinished space from the rest of the house. There is an exterior door in the wall right now to provide access

I would like to leave the wall in place during the drywalling process if possible just to keep the dust out of the house. I didn't think about renting an electric heater. I can either run a 220 cable from the service panel or just run off the dryer circuit that is close by.

Thanks for the help.

Brian Elfert

John Hart
12-12-2006, 6:12 AM
I have the same problem with our new addition. No heat in there yet. I'm getting the kerosine heater from wally world to fill the bill. They claim no fumes and no CO. $99