PDA

View Full Version : Son's first flight, early Xmas

Mitchell Andrus
12-10-2006, 2:16 PM
My son has been lobbying lately... He'd like to see what it's like to fly, and has been thinking about careers - he's a soph in HS.

This Saturday we went to the local airport and he took his 'first flight'. Not a 'real' lesson, but a two hour look at what it takes to earn a Private Pilot Licence. He had a great time, in the office for about an hour, in the air for about an hour. He said he was surprised at how fast he got to our house – 4 or 5 minutes. It took 30 to drive to the airport.

Jonathan took off (really!), made a few turns, flew most of the time ‘cept the landing. Maybe lessons are next… we’ll see.

For the "airheads" out there, Cessna 172S, MMU, NJ.

Funny thing is... he' hasn't yet driven a car!

Stuart Johnson
12-10-2006, 2:37 PM
When I was in high school I was lucky enough to join the Civil Air Patrol. It was a youth group but did teach us basic flying plus military manners. We plotted our flight plans and basicly did everything but actually take off and land. At least we never confessed to taking off or landing. I don't know if they still have the CAP or the youth program but it was one of the things that made my life differnet. If nothing else I already know how to march, salute and say yes sir when I joined the Army.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2006, 2:50 PM
Mitch.........As a teenager in Boy Scouts a local optometrist taught the Aviation Merit badge class which actually consisted of teaching aviation ground school. He made the challenge ...anybody aceing the final test got to fly his private plane. Myself and two others aced that exam. On different days each of us got to fly his single engine plane for a couple of hours. It was a kick! Good luck to you and your son with your decisions!

Doug Shepard
12-10-2006, 3:01 PM
Cool. My first airplane flight was a Christmas present too. The day after Christmas Dad tossed everyone into the car and drove out to the little (at that time) county airport. It was just a 4-seater and it took 2 flights for everyone to get a ride. I think I must have been around 8 or 9. The pilot let both my brother and I "fly" the plane for about 5 minutes each but I think this was probably more illusion than fact. I do recall freezing my butt off though as the plane didn't have much in the way of heat but still had a good time.

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 3:38 PM
I sure wish I would have done that when I was younger...I now have too many other things that act as time and money sucks in my life! But I know I would have enjoyed piloting. If your son really enjoys it, hopefully the means to explore lessons will come through.

Carol Reed
12-10-2006, 5:34 PM
Of all the things your son could express an interest in, this is one of the most beneficial. It will teach diligence, attention to detail, discipline, and that reality ain't optional! Yeah, it ain't cheap, but neither are some of the other 'habits' a young man might choose. And its long term effects are mostly positive, even if addicting. As if woodworking weren't addicting! :D

Carol, who also holds a pilot's license and knows where there is an excellent Cessna 150 for sale. (not mine, sadly).

Mitchell Andrus
12-10-2006, 5:47 PM
Carol, so far both of my boys (HS and college) are level headed kids that can knuckle down and get the job done. I throw as much at them as they can soak up... you never know what'll stick.