PDA

View Full Version : Finally, some good news for my family

Brian Hale
12-10-2006, 1:31 PM
My younger brother Todd (39yo) has always had the worst of luck but it looks like things have changed for the better. A little history: At 16yo he got his license and bought his first car. 1 week later he was broad sided by a drunk driver and got a broken arm and jaw. Car totaled. 18 yo, while working with my father renovating a Rite-Aid in Baltimore City, he was shot in the back by a robber. They never caught him. 21yo he got married and had twins. 2 years later he caught his wife in bed with another man. He got custody but we had to help with the bills. 7 years ago his son was diagnosed as bi-polar the same week his company announced they were closing the plant. He had just bought a house at the time. 1 year later his wife was diagnosed with MS and had to change jobs from elder care nurse to secretary. As i said, not real lucky.

Yesterday he called with some great news. His best friend Mike agreed to sell him a 1.5 acre ready-to-build lot for $1. Yep, one dollar! The lot is adjacent to Mike's house. Mike said my brother can move into his in-law suite for as long as needed, no charge, till he can build his house. Todd got his house appraised for $260,000, $150,000 more than he paid for it 7 years ago and a Realtor friend said he'd have little trouble selling it.

My brother is beside himself as building his own home has been a long time dream of his but he could never find the means to make it happen.

Looks like i'll need to change my Christmas list for him. BORG gift cards are in order i think.

What a wonderful Christmas this will be!!

Brian :)

Tim Morton
12-10-2006, 1:37 PM
thats awesome!!!

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 1:46 PM
Sometimes it takes awhile for the silver lining to shine through. That's really nice news for your brother, Brian. It sounds like it is his turn for a break!

David Fried
12-10-2006, 2:08 PM
Good for for your brother!
Kudos to Mike!!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2006, 2:09 PM
Glad to hear it's turning around for your brother! Whew!

John Bailey
12-10-2006, 3:32 PM
Good one Brian, wish him good luck for us.

John

Brett Baldwin
12-10-2006, 3:56 PM
That's going to give a whole new meaning to the phrase "I owe you one" between your brother and his friend.

Gary Herrmann
12-10-2006, 4:23 PM
Definitely sounds like he was long overdue for some good luck. Good for him.

Peter Stahl
12-11-2006, 8:49 AM
Brian, Your brother is lucky, He has awsome family & friends!

Al Willits
12-11-2006, 9:32 AM
Sounds like good things come to those who wait, and he's had quite the wait.
Glad to hear life is going better for him.

Al

Jerry Olexa
12-11-2006, 10:24 AM
VERY GOOD NEWS for a guy that certainly deserves it!!!!

Zahid Naqvi
12-11-2006, 4:50 PM
I'd say that friend is a keeper, what an unselfish gesture.

Robert Mickley
12-11-2006, 6:03 PM
Now that is GREAT news. Gotta love it when someones luck takes a good turn like that!

Karl Laustrup
12-12-2006, 7:04 AM
Brian, that is about the best story for this time of year. Really glad for your brother. Hope all progresses at a steady pace so he can realize his dream.

Karl

John Hart
12-12-2006, 7:59 AM
I'm sure his hardships have steeled him for the greatest of adversities and now he'll be able to build his dreams. Sounds like heaven to me!!:)

Tyler Howell
12-12-2006, 8:24 AM
Wow!!
I'm praying for mor good luck.

Brian Hale
12-12-2006, 7:03 PM
Yep, he's having fun. After several hours on the phone it looks like he's decided on an "L" shaped rancher. At least for now. He plans on selling the house soonest and banking the money for about a year while adding about 3/4 of his normal mortgage to the pot. This will give him time to deal with the plans, permits and contractor for the excavating and concrete work. He'll do all the above ground work. It just happens that Mike is a licensed electrician and has some good ties in the construction industry so that's a benefit. Of course i'll play the role of devils advocate and hired help. ;)

Brian :)

Steve Clardy
12-12-2006, 7:09 PM
Great story Brian. Sounds like He's ready for some good luck.:)

Don Orr
12-12-2006, 8:26 PM
Sounds like he finally ran out of bad luck and the good luck is taking over. What a great gift especially at this time of year.