PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0555 vs Rikon 10-325 Bandsaws

John Gossett
12-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Choices, choices...

In the next coupla weeks I'm gonna purchase a 14" bandsaw. I'm torn between getting the Grizzly G0555 with riser blocks, or the Rikon 10-325 "Ultimate" bandsaw. I can afford the latter but it's a big stretch, especially with taxes and shipping factored in. The question is, is it worth the extra $$$ over the Grizzly?

Grizzly - $530 w/riser block & shipping (no tax - online purchase),
- Cast Aluminum Wheels, open stand,
- iffy bearing guides (from reviews & comments)
- coplaner adjustments possible with riser blocks
- 1 HP motor
- Need to install riser block
Rikon - $900 w/tax & shipping (purchased locally)
- Cast Iron Wheels, Closed Stand,
- 13" Resaw out of the box,
- 1-1/2 HP motor
- Attached worklight (woohoo! tounge-in-cheek - I can add a light.)

This is going in a garage shop with a mobile base. (I've got half of a two car garage to work with). I've never worked with Grizzy or Rikon. What have your experiences been with these manufacturers? I have learned the lesson about buying quality over price where possible, but I don't know that the Rikon quality is that much above the Grizzly since I've not worked with either. I have visited the Rikon at our local Woodcraft store and it looks darn good.

The SWMBO is fine with either (nice bonus this year...)

(I've also got my eyes on the Veritas 4-1/2 smoothing plane - Grizzly + plane - hmmmm. Is the Grizzly good enough?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

John

David Tiell
12-10-2006, 11:25 AM
I don't have any experience with either, but have read a lot of good things about both. I think I would seriously consider going with the Grizzly with the riser block, and then spend the extra on the Veritas.:D

Paul Douglass
12-10-2006, 11:42 AM
How about a new Rikon at this price?

If that doesn't work, go to e-bay ans search Rikon. It's a e-bay store that has it listed, "buy it now" price.

John Gossett
12-10-2006, 2:04 PM
Paul - The price online - ebay and others is $799, but with the $155 or more shipping cost it still comes in > $900. Locally I pay $749 (and I will try to haggle it lower hopefully) with 8.25% sales tax and $100 shipping (plus they'll help me lug it into the garage).

So the shipping cost online comes out greater than the tax and cheaper shipping I get locally.

John

everett lowell
12-10-2006, 5:21 PM
Hi John, could you do me a favor and post a reveiw after you make your choice? I myself am considering these two saws, but I'm still several months away from being able to make a purchase.So I'm still in the homework stage :( (sorry if this is an inappropiate request.)

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 5:25 PM
Don't forget that Grizzly has a couple of machines simiar to the big Rikon... ;)

John Bailey
12-10-2006, 5:41 PM
Just when you thought you had all the info, did you notice that Grizzly now has the G0555X at $595. Got the 1 1/2 hp. and the new fence. Looks pretty good.

John

Mike Cutler
12-10-2006, 5:50 PM
Given the choice between the two, I would take the Rikon. The Rikon has cast iron wheels which will aid in cutting by virtue of the rotational mass of the wheels, this will be especially useful in resawing. I have the Rikon 10-340, 18" bandsaw and have been more than pleased with the Rikon to date.
The Grizzly G0555 is essentially an open stand 14" bandsaw. Jet, Delta, Rigid all have a similar offering. Having a Jet 14" bandsaw that I spent quite a bit of $$$ to try and be able to resaw with, and never achieving it, I can't reccomend someone going down that road. I would have been $$$ ahead If I had just bought a bigger bandsaw to begin with.
All that being said. I don't think that comparing the two is fair to the Grizzly. They are different bandsaws.

My .02 fwiw

John Gossett
12-10-2006, 6:47 PM
Great responses!

Everett - I will gladly post information about what I purchase and my experiences when I put it to use. (I claim being guilty of gloating on occasion.)

John - The new G0555X Grizzly looks intriging. One of the forum complaints for the G0555 was the very poor fence and it looks like they listened. Bumping up the H.P. can only help.

Mike - Your comments reflect why I've been leaning more to Rikon - My main goal for the bandsaw is that I envision resawing to make thinner material for boxes, to get book-matched panels and occasionally for some venier. I would jump up to 18" but that's a bit big for my small shop and from what I've read so far I can resaw on 14" with patience - something I usually have.

JohnG

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-10-2006, 7:21 PM
I own the Grizzly - Bought it before the "New" Rikon 14" with 13" cut was available. I've used the Rikon 18" and it's one VERY good BS. one of the things I like about the Rikon is that the upright (post) is one piece; not bolted together. The 1-1/2 vs 1 hp will make quite a difference in the power department.

Bruce

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 7:37 PM
The Grizzly G0513X (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513X) has 12" of resaw and is under a grand delivered. The "regular version" (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513) is about a hundred less. I'd surly take those over the Rikon 14" saw any day...the larger wheels can track a better resaw blade. And you get 2hp, too.

Christopher Stahl
12-10-2006, 9:17 PM
I'll second Jim, the G0513x is an excellent bandsaw, and for the money, it's hard to beat. I personally just moved from the G0555, with the riser kit, to the G0513 just a couple months ago. I have the regular model without the CI wheels. The G0555 is an excellent bandsaw and can certainly resaw. While it won't be as fast as a larger bandsaw with more horsepower and a larger blade, it certainly did a wonderful job for me.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy the biggest you could afford, certainly one with a good reputation. The G0513 models are worth a look.

Mike Cutler
12-10-2006, 9:24 PM
The Grizzly G0513X (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513X) has 12" of resaw and is under a grand delivered. The "regular version" (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0513) is about a hundred less. I'd surly take those over the Rikon 14" saw any day...the larger wheels can track a better resaw blade. And you get 2hp, too.

Those are both nice bandsaws Jim. The original G0513 was the model I tossed back and forth with before purchasing the 18" Rikon. The only thing that really tipped the scale for me was that I could get the Rikon local, and it was discounted. The price was below that of the Griz' delivered. I like that "X" model. An additional 100lbs of weight. The majority of it is the difference between the aluminum, and the cast iron wheels.

John Gossett
12-10-2006, 9:36 PM
Guys, this is making it harder, not easier! :D

Now I'm gonna look at the 13x for a bit and drool some...

John

Chuck Wood
12-10-2006, 11:27 PM
John,

I own the Rikon 10-325 and love it! Any of the BS's that your looking at will do you a great job! It all comes down to your own preference, needs and price. If money is the limiting factor, then go for the Griss. If you don't need the BS right now and are willing to wait to save up the extra bucks. Then pick the one that you really want. Either way I don't think you will go wrong!
Good Luck!:)

Charlie Plesums
12-10-2006, 11:51 PM
I have the G0555 - a big upgrade from a Jet 14 and a small Delta. I finally upgraded to a MM24... but I still liked the G0555 enough that I kept it as a second bandsaw. I can't compare it to the Rikon or the larger Grizzly, but it sure is a fine 14 inch bandsaw.

Mike Cutler
12-11-2006, 5:01 AM
Guys, this is making it harder, not easier! :D

Now I'm gonna look at the 13x for a bit and drool some...

John

Ha,Ha. Who said we were here to make it easier.:D :D ;)
They're all nice machines.

Billy Chambless
12-11-2006, 7:17 AM
Just when you thought you had all the info, did you notice that Grizzly now has the G0555X at $595. Got the 1 1/2 hp. and the new fence. Looks pretty good.

John

Such a slippery slope... I've been looking at the G0555, then I think, "For $200 more, I can get the G0555X..." then it's, "And for ANOTHER $200, I can get..."

Jude Tuliszewski
12-11-2006, 11:29 PM
I also went with the Rikon 18". Started out the same way you did by looking for a 14" BS because of price, but after thinking more about what I would use it for I decided to go for a bigger BS. I looked at most of the 17" and 18". The Rikon seemed to have the best mix of features for the price. When Woodcraft had them on sale with free shipping I took the plunge. I am happy with the Rikon. It has a couple of things that could be better, the guide bearing adjustment being #1, but over all a good saw for the money. IMHO, if you can wait, get a bigger saw.

Adam Bauer
12-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Dont forget that if you look at the Shopfox W1706, its essentiall the same as the Grizzly G0555 but with an enclosed base, cast iron wheels, and a few other bells and whistles. Plus unlike their Grizzly counterparts (Grizzly and Shopfox are owned by the same person) Shopfox stuff is sold by dealers so if you've got a Shopfox dealer locally you can pick it up and save on shipping. (though you will have to pay tax)

Jim Isabella
12-13-2006, 5:19 PM
I am new to this forum, but have been lurking for a week or so.... There is a lot of good info here.

A friend made me an offer on my old Grizzly 1019-Z BS that made it easy to start looking at new saws and tell the wife!

I looked at the specs for most of the 14" saws. I was all ready to go with the Powermatic with riser block, until I started reading about the problems with installing it. Spending that much money and then having to deal with manufacturing defects does not sit too well with me.

Then I saw the specs and reviews for the Rikon 10-325. With all the built in features, this saw looks right to me. Woodcraft has it on sale for $749.99 and the only shipping charge was $20.00, and no tax (internet order). So the order was placed.

The only problem is that it is on backorder until Dec 22nd :(. Do you think Santa will be able to get it in his sleigh??????????

The new Timberwolf blades have already arrived.

As soon as it gets set up in the shop, I will post again.

:)

Rick Schubert
12-13-2006, 9:12 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jim! And please give us a follow up. I am considering the PM and the Rikon as well.

Rick

Al Garay
12-13-2006, 9:34 PM
Jim,

No whining is allowed when gloating. Congratulations on your new Rikon. And I bet you get it before New Year's.... you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

Chuck Wood
12-13-2006, 11:19 PM
Jim,

Welcome to the Creek! Good to have you aboard!

I think you'll like the Rikon! I've had mine a little over a month now and I'm very pleased with it. It's my first BS and hopefully my last.

As for Santa delivering the BS! I don't think there will be a problem. I over heard someone talking about him being exempt from over weight laws nation wide!:D Just make sure you leave the cookies and milk in the wood shop!:D

John Gossett
12-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Congratulations Jim!

I made my order for the Rikon 10-325 day-before-yesterday online with the same deal (and the same backorder date -grrr). I called my local Woodcraft to see if they could discount the sales tax but they said no, but go ahead and order it online because they get a cut from the online transactions. I like to support local when I can, but 8.25% on $749 ain't chump change!

Now that patience has to be exercised until the dude comes in.

I didn't notice that Woodcraft had the timberwolf blades in the 111" size. Where did you order yours? (And what did you order?)

Thanks,

John

Chuck Wood
12-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Congratulations Jim!

I made my order for the Rikon 10-325 day-before-yesterday online with the same deal (and the same backorder date -grrr). I called my local Woodcraft to see if they could discount the sales tax but they said no, but go ahead and order it online because they get a cut from the online transactions. I like to support local when I can, but 8.25% on $749 ain't chump change!

Now that patience has to be exercised until the dude comes in.

I didn't notice that Woodcraft had the timberwolf blades in the 111" size. Where did you order yours? (And what did you order?)

Thanks,

John

John,

Here is the web-site for Timberwolf blades. Give them a call and they will be happy to help you out!
Good luck on the saw!:)

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/default.asp

Burt Alcantara
12-14-2006, 1:27 PM
I've had the G0555 for about 1.5 years. I thought it was damaged when I couldn't get it to drift. I've never had a problem with it and have used the same blade since day 1. It's a BCSaw 3/4" 3tpi. Cuts everything all the time.

Does everything I need it to do. If there was anything I'd like more it would be more distance between the frame and blade.

Burt

Charlie Plesums
12-15-2006, 9:45 AM
...If there was anything I'd like more it would be more distance between the frame and blade.

Burt
On a two wheel bandsaw, this is basically the diameter of the wheels, which is the primary reason for larger wheel bandsaws. Of course, that gives the blade more distance from the frame for the tension, thus more leverage to bend the frame, thus requiring a heavier frame, not just bigger wheels, and the price goes up.

Tom Berninghausen
12-15-2006, 1:17 PM
My G0555 has the same fence problem that Burt mentioned: I can't get my cuts to drift either. Not in red oak, soft maple or alder. Must be defective. Timberwolf 3/4 inch blades is all I use, maybe that's my problem.

Best "bang for buck" tool I have.

Jim Isabella
12-22-2006, 9:25 AM
Thanks for the welcome!!!!!!!!!!

The saw has not shipped yet..... I will keep checking.

The blades I ordered were:

1/8" x 14 RK
1/4" x 8 RK
3/8" x 10 RK
3/4" x 3 AS-S
3/4" x 2-3 Vari PC

That assortment should let me handle just about everything from very fine work to re-sawing.

There is a lot of really good advice posted here. Thanks!

And have a happy and safe Holiday!!!

:)

Jim

James Carmichael
12-22-2006, 11:47 AM

I'll second that. If I had $900 to spend on a bandsaw, I'd save another c-note or two and go for a 16-18". Better to handle carbide blades.