PDA

View Full Version : Winged Elm Ring Bowl

Christopher K. Hartley
12-10-2006, 10:40 AM
It started with a full crotch wing but after three busted knuckles and some other difficulties I trimmed it back. Wing 5 3/4" Bowl 4 1/2" X 2"; BLO and wipe. Comments welcome.:)

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2006, 10:57 AM
Sorry to hear about your knuckles but the bowl looks great!

David Fried
12-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I never turned Elm, how is it?
Nice bowl, I like the detail where the inside meets the wing.
Watch them knuckles!!:eek:

Keith Burns
12-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Nice piece Chris and I too like the rim detail:) :)

George Tokarev
12-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Get some dark paper and put it below and behind those knuckle-crunchers. Light if you're turning dark wood. That and a raking incandescent illuminate the ghost rim pretty well.

That, and keeping your knuckles behind the toolrest.

Isn't elm fun? Next one, skip the BLO and try a shellac or urethane finish. Shows the shimmer nicely.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-10-2006, 1:04 PM
Get some dark paper and put it below and behind those knuckle-crunchers. Light if you're turning dark wood. That and a raking incandescent illuminate the ghost rim pretty well.

That, and keeping your knuckles behind the toolrest.

Isn't elm fun? Next one, skip the BLO and try a shellac or urethane finish. Shows the shimmer nicely.

Thanks everyone,

David, it turns nice but sanding has been a challenge for me.

Thanks George, I'll do that. I have plenty more elm.:)

Mark Cothren
12-10-2006, 2:05 PM
Nice bowl, Chris. Good lookin' wood, too.

Tom Sherman
12-10-2006, 6:47 PM
Great work Chris, looks like the MoO has a new subject.

Dennis Peacock
12-10-2006, 7:10 PM
Chris,

Looks really nice.!!! Elm has ALWAYS been a pain sanding for me as well. It seems to bruise easily from the bottom of the bevel on the gouge and sanding all that out to get a really clear/clean finish on the wood for me has always been rather time consuming to say the least.

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2006, 10:46 PM
That is a beauty Chris. I really like turning Elm. It is a pretty wood. Great job and sorry about the knuckles.