PDA

View Full Version : Choices, choices - need help with an air filter

Jeremy Gibson
12-10-2006, 9:56 AM
I'd like to add an air filter to my shop without breaking the bank. I realize this is not dust collection....I'm already doing that. I'd like it for the intended purpose of helping to clean the small airborne dust.

I'm in a 2-car garage now and would like to someday have a seperate building approx. 1000 sq ft. I know that several reviews put the JDS 750-ER at the top and the price seems to fall between $300-$400. The other end of the spectrum is a shop-built filter with a 465 CFM squirrel cage blower. PSI sells a kit for about $115 and I supply the plywood case and hardware. Mid-price solutions seems to be the Jet 1000B or Delta AP200 around the $200 price point, but there is also the new Steel City units.

So, let's here your opinions, recommendations, cautions, etc. If the shop-built seems like a good solution are there any good sources for a blower unit that don't make it just as expensive as a manufactured unit?

Tyler Howell
12-10-2006, 10:06 AM
I have the Jet 1500.
Clears the room and in a NY Minute. I didn't have the remote problems others had. Very satisfied.

Jake Helmboldt
12-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm dragging my feet getting mine completed, but I used scrap plywood and got a big furnace blower for free from a friend with an HVAC company. It came out of an old furnace and is wired for three speeds so I just need to get a switch wired in and hang it up. I can't see spending $200-300 for something that can easily be made for about $20.

Call around to some HVAC places, scrap places, or check with any contractors you might know and see if you can score a free or cheap blower that is otherwise headed for the scrap pile and you are off to the races.

Jake

Robert Mahon
12-10-2006, 12:42 PM
I also have the JET and can tell you it sure collects a lot of airborne dust.

I've installed a Charcoal element with a JET element upstream of that and a standard furnace filer upstream of that.
It collects so much dust I have to vacuum the upstream element almost daily. I can get by with cleaning the other panel elements weekly, the bag element monthly.

A great unit and I did not have a problem with the remote either.

Mine is installed just over the cabinet saw.

Steve Kohn
12-10-2006, 1:11 PM
I also have the Jet with wireless remote control. Have had it installed for 2 years with no problems. In addition to dust control I also find another reason to use it.

The extra fan on the ceiling does an absolutely great job of circulating the heat in my shop. I have a 28X32 shop that normally is left at 45 degrees. When I want to work out there I turn up the Hot Dawg to 60 degrees, and then turn on the Jet air filter. In 30 minutes the room is up to temperature and the temperature is even from ceiling to floor. Make a huge difference in comfort.

Jeremy Gibson
12-10-2006, 1:15 PM
Robert and Steve,

You both say you have the Jet...is that the Jet 1500 like Tyler's?

glenn bradley
12-10-2006, 1:37 PM
1150 CFM, $40. Clears my 20 X 30 ft. shop post haste.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=40748&d=1150229969

Jeff Heil
12-10-2006, 5:24 PM
I have the JDS 750, got it as a Christmas gift about two years ago. It really moves the air in my shop and has cut down the fine layer of dust that used to be on everything after a day of sanding or routing. I like the remote to turn it on off. You could wire a switched outlet to do the same function though. I would buy it again and have been shocked at the amount of fine dust it collects. I take it outside and blow the internal cloth filter out with the air hose about once a month. If you went the DIY route get a good filter.

Jeff

John C. Wilson
12-10-2006, 7:33 PM
I have used the JDS 2000 model in our shop for at least the last 10-15 years. We have 3 in our cabinet shop and 3 in our grinding shop. I run them as soon as I open the door in the morning and they don't get shut off till I walk out at nite. I luv em!!!! I would NOT run my shops without them.
They ( the electrostatic filters and interior pletted filter bag) are air hosed out each day. My reasoning is that these air cleaners are collecting the air that I would be breathing........and you can't buy that type of health insurance.
Yes, there are other good ones on the market, but I like my JDS units

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 7:45 PM
I've had the JDS 750 for years and it does what it's supposed to do. Mine is "pre-remote", but that's not an issue for me. I use it mostly when I'm spraying water borne finishes to "clear the air" of particulates.

John Piwaron
12-10-2006, 8:08 PM
I chose the Delta triangle shaped air cleaner. For me, in my small basement studio, it's what fit.

I think I like the homemade kind I've seen several build from plywood and several furnace filters. If I had the kind of room one them requires, that's what I'd do. Cheap to make, cheap to replace filters.

In any case, wire it up with a timer. I did that with my own. I can run it while in the studio, then let it run after I'm gone and it shuts itself down.

Steve Kohn
12-10-2006, 9:36 PM
My Jet is the AFS-1000B.

Bob Michaels
12-10-2006, 11:00 PM
Just installed two JDS 750-ER units in my L-shaped 700 SF shop the other day. Can't respond to performance yet but, I'm very pleased with the fit and finish. It's quality equipment. I wired them to the lighting circuits with the intention of turning them on and off with the light switch. That turns 'em off but they won't turn back on when you flip the light switch on again. JDS was VERY helpful and VERY responsive, but it turns out that due to the electronics in the 3 speed switching and the remote electronics, you can't switch them back on with a wall switch. You must use the remote (or the touch pad located on the unit which is at ceiling level). The work-around suggested by JDS was to not use the remotes and by-pass the touch pad electronics on the unit by direct wiring a 3 position switch for the fan (high, medium,low) and use the light switching to turn the unit on and off. I would let the 3 position switch drop down from the unit to just above head height using SJO electrical cord. This won't allow me to use the timer function but since I was going to switch the unit with the lights anyway, that becomes a moot point. This solution will solve the problem for me. BTW, the remotes are "line of sight" so you really need to be directly in line with the unit control panel to use the remotes which is a PITA. All in all, I'm still happy I chose the JDS units. BTW, anyone considering a larger unit may want to consider 2 smaller units like the JDS 750-ER instead. That will probably give better results, especially in an odd shaped shop. Sorry for the long winded post.

Robert Mahon
12-11-2006, 6:17 AM
I have the AFS 1000 model and the remote is Velcroe'd to the side (I have a problem with losing things).
Usually I just start it and run it on high for 4 hours.

As another posted, the unit also does a good job of circulating the heat throughout the shop when heat is needed.

As others have pointed out, making your own is a very good option if you have the room to install it and can tolerate the massive air-flow generated by a furnace blower. I didn't and installed the JET in the overhead.