PDA

View Full Version : 8" jointer - Griz 0490 or Yorkcraft 8"

mike hopkins devon,pa
12-10-2006, 9:43 AM
I am still deliberating between these two jointers and plan to get myself one of the two for Christmas. The Griz has a stronger motor but I will need to run it on 220. It also has the parallelogram movement and a magnetic switch. The Yorcraft doesn't look quite as nice, but it is on sale for $599, is about $200 cheaper(all in cost), and the fence may be better (they modified the rack & pinion design so it doesn't take up as much shop space). Has anyone seen and closely compared both? Thanks for any help that you can offer.

David LaRue
12-10-2006, 10:17 AM
I have the Yorkie 8", if I were making the decision again, I would go with the Grizzly. I had issues with the Yorkie, and customer support problems. I have never owned a Griz, but the parallel design is better than the inclined plane design, that I had problems with.

Al Willits
12-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Can't say about the Grizzly, but I have the York and it seems to have plenty of power, I've done 3.5" white oak and little over 3" Brazilian cherry with it and it didn't seem to even bother it.
Not sure about the Griz, but my York has 4 blades and does make a very smooth cut.
Also for most people, the York came very close to dead on from the factory, blades were with in three thou and the beds are flat and true.
Only thing that was off was the two beds front to back, and they were only three thou off, the week end machinist in me ordered a few shims and will correct that as soon as I get to it.

Only real complaint I have is the single wheel on the mobile base turns with a rough spot, chances are a burr or "stuff" is interfering with the bearings, came that way and its another, will get to, project as its not a big deal and it still works.

I've only had it a few months, but I'd not hesitate to get another York.

Al

Rick Schubert
12-10-2006, 10:42 AM
I've been happy with my 8" Yorkie other than trying to tune the blades, but that is an issue with all knives. And it is really probably more an issue with me.

Rick

David LaRue
12-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Only thing that was off was the two beds front to back, and they were only three thou off, the week end machinist in me ordered a few shims and will correct that as soon as I get to it.

...the single wheel on the mobile base turns with a rough spot, chances are a burr or "stuff" is interfering with the bearings...

Al
I had the same issues ...

My question to you is, why should you have to "fix" these items on a new product? If the machine is not right, parallel and true, a jointer will not work correctly.

I believe the parallel design has built-in adjustments to correct these issues, if they arise. In an inclined plane design you are either forced to get one built correctly the 1st time, or shim.

Mike Mortenson
12-10-2006, 10:49 AM
I got the Shop Fox it looks exactly like the Grizzly and was much cheaper in price. So far it has worked great.

Allen Bookout
12-10-2006, 10:59 AM

Al
That is why I went with the GO490. I had been throught the shim thing with another jointer that I had that had dovetail ways and did not want to to through that again. From Al's report, other than the adjustment factor, it sounds like that they perform about the same. My GO490 was dead on accurate but if I ever need to adjust it the mechanism is there. But then again, there is a $200 difference. I guess that I was not much help. Glad that it is not me making the decision. Good Luck!

Al Willits
12-10-2006, 3:55 PM
I agree they should come right on, but what's "right on" ??
Hard to find specs on this stuff to get a base line on, .003 ain't much.

I think its the fact I can get it closer, whether it makes any difference or not thing, that is driving me to shim the outlet bed.
Doesn't look like that big a deal (famous last words) and once done, it should stay that way unless the tables warp.

I'd rather save the $200 or so.

Al