PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on selecting a router

Rich Engelhardt
12-10-2006, 8:33 AM
Hello,
I'm in the market for a decent 2/14HP 1/2" collet router.

I've been looking at the Freud FT1700VCEK at Lowes.
It's on a special right now for $169.00 that includes a free plunge base.
I also have a 10% off coupon for Lowes, which drops the price a little more.

Home Depot also is offering a Dewalt 3 base kit for $279.00 minus a $30 rebate.

Then of course, there's also Bosch and Porter Cable to consider.

I'm not in any particualar hurry to get one, so if there's an upcoming deal on the Bosch or PC, I can hold off for a while.

I'm leaning very heavily towards the Freud, since it has the best price plus it has the above table adjustments. I figure if it is just so/so for general use, I can always mount in a table.

TIA

Billy Chambless
12-10-2006, 8:53 AM
FWIW, I bought the Dewalt 3-base kit last month and have loved it so far. Honestly, tough, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the four you mentioned, so it might just come down to cost.

Allen Bookout
12-10-2006, 9:59 AM
I think that Billy is right. You really cannot go wrong with any major brand of router these days. Go for the best price on the one that suits your needs. One way to get a good deal is to buy a manufacurers reconditioned unit. At least two places that they show up are ToolKing and Amazon.

I noticed that Home Depot has their Ridgid two base router on sale at my local store for $169 and the few reports that I have seen have good things to say about it. I think that if I needed a fixed base plus a plunger that is the one I would buy due to the price. Guys really love their DeWalt 618s but a little pricey it seems to me. I have a Dewalt 621 that I like but it does not have a fixed base. I have two Milwaukees that I think are the best quality that I have seen but they are fixed base only so it sounds like they would not suit your needs. I have a Hitachi that is pretty good. Not the best finish quality but it does the job and is inexpensive. The Hitachi seems to be a clone of the PC. I do not know anything about the Freud.

The one thing about routers that I seem to notice, even with myself, is that you can become an addict. Be careful!!!

scott spencer
12-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Those are all well made routers with proven performance records and all should serve you well. Depending on what you want to accomplish, I'd go with the better deal or specific features that appeal to you. As with any tool purchase, I always ask what one can do that the other can't, or what aspect gives one some advantage over the other.

The FT1700 has some distinct table mounted feature advantages that IMO really separate it from the crowd if you want to mount it in a table. The above table features are good enough that I usually choose it over my Milwaukee 5625. I also think it's more than so so for hand use. It's well balanced with good power, and now comes with a plunge base.

http://www.epinions.com/content_228357738116

Mark Valsi
12-10-2006, 11:46 AM
And get a FESTOOL !!

It will out last and out perform most others ! You'll nver be sorry with a Fessie

not affiliated . . etc . . ..

frank shic
12-10-2006, 11:59 AM
rich, you forgot about ridgid's fixed base/plunge base combo including centering cone, dus collection hoods, clear base and built-in lighting for less than $200.

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 12:40 PM
For general purpose routing in the shop, I'd be inclined to recommend one of the 13 amp "kits" that include multiple bases. There are times when a fixed base is much better for certain tasks due to the lower center of gravity. Most dedicated plungers are more cumbersome to use in that respect. Pick your brand preference...mine is the Dewalt DW618, but any of the majors are very fine tools. Please note that I'm not saying that the Freud router you ask about is a bad tool...far from it. 'Just that I think there is better long-term value in buying a more versatile tool.

Rich Engelhardt
12-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Hello,
Thanks for the input so far.

Yes, I forgot to mention the Rigid.
Last night my wife and I were in HD to pick up a washing machine and a PC 16 ga nailer, and I noticed the Rigid combo for $169. I asked how long the offer was going to be, and the guy said he thought it would run for at least another week.

Allen,
LOl! Yep, I've noticed that about all tools. Yhis would be my third router. I bought a Craftsman years ago, and last year I bought one of the Ryobi table/router combinations.

Scott,
Thank you. That's the type of input I'm after. I believe the 1700 is pretty new and there isn't a lot of information out there that I can find about it from a hands-on perspective. That reinforces my decision to go with the Freud.

Mark,
I wish! Actually, I don't believe my limited skills could do a Fessie justice.
I can probably make as good a pile of sawdust w/a sub $200 router as I can with one costing twice as much :D.

Jim Dailey
12-10-2006, 1:52 PM
I currently own something in excess of 16 routers; 12 PC's -from several trimmer routers, multiple 690's & 1/2 doz. bases, 2-7529/8529's plus four 3 1/4 hp both plunge & fixed, Freud 3 1/4 hp (great cheap router), and a DeWalt 625 (sweat router) Most dedicate to specific tasks, with 690's for general work.

But recently I added two Festool routers; the OF 1010 & OF 1400 I really like these two, although spendy, excellent plunge routers. Clearly the best of the ones I own. Both have good dust/chip vacuum pickups. The 1010 is limited because it will only handle 1/4" or 8mm but more than makes up for with its light weight, one handed plunge & controls. The 1400 is a great all around router. However I would not use either of these in a router table.

The kit route with a motor & multiple bases has lots of benefits for a small shop. Many good options today, PC, DeWalt, Bosch. I would suggest to look at the Festool OF 1400 for general all around router. But any quality manufacture today is putting out wonderful equipment. Pick a color!!

Hope this helps,
jim

Keith Outten
12-10-2006, 11:38 PM
I'm a Bosch fan and I have been for years. The old 1604 model is the best router I have ever used for general hand routing work. The new Bosch Colt is a mini brute and now my favorite for light duty work.

The DW618 I own is also a nice machine. Porter Cable has made some changes to the bearings they were using in their larger models so don't compare their old models to the newer routers as overheating is very common these days.

Paul Simmel
12-11-2006, 12:29 AM
(Fingers crossed fending away the Devil that may pop from my screen in some blue, green, or yellow color!)

No PC 7518 mentioned on a what’s best router thread. No credibility has this thread…

Mike Heidrick
12-11-2006, 1:33 AM
(Fingers crossed fending away the Devil that may pop from my screen in some blue, green, or yellow color!)

No PC 7518 mentioned on a what’s best router thread. No credibility has this thread…

Paul, Rich asked for 2 1/4 HP not 3+ hp routers that is why no mention of the 7518.

Rich, I own a 890 two base kit and a 618 thre base kit in the 2 1/4hp range. I love the 618's plunge base. Much smoother action than my 890 plunge base.

Check with Mark at HeavyDutyTools and see what he can do for you. He has several routers on sale right now. I just bought a Dewalt metal bandsaw from him for a great price and shipping was only $5. He is a great seller.

Mike Cutler
12-11-2006, 5:27 AM
If memory serves me, Pat Warner, here on the board and author of numerous articles and books, has very high regard for the Dewalts.
He also has a pretty comprehensive review of more than a few routers on his website. Check his website out.

Alan Turner
12-11-2006, 6:06 AM
The new small Triton is what we went with for the PFW standard plunger (we have 4). It is inexpensive at $200 considering it comes with an oversize base accessory which allows tramel routing, an edge guide, above the table adjustment, and pattern guides. The dust collection is good as well with the use of the included shroud.

Chuck Wood
12-11-2006, 8:46 AM
rich, you forgot about ridgid's fixed base/plunge base combo including centering cone, dus collection hoods, clear base and built-in lighting for less than $200.

Rich,

Don't forget about the Lifetime service agreement. I too have the Ridgid router and I'm very pleased! :D

Just my 2 cents!!!!:)

Jim Becker
12-11-2006, 8:56 AM
The PC7518 is a fine machine, but not something you'd want to use for hand-held work with any frequency, unless you're working solid surface material or soapstone. It's big, heavy and the speed control is not as "elegant" as the current crop of mid-range routers that are very suitable for general use. I have the 7518 in my table and love it, but no way would I want to horse it around with any frequency outside of the table. (and I cut the handles off anyway... LOL) Same goes for the PC7539...the industrial strength plunge version of the same.

Not to mention that it doesn't meet the specs that the OP asked about in the first post... ;)

Rich Engelhardt
12-29-2006, 6:41 AM
Hello - and again - thanks for all the advice.

I went ahead and took the plunge (no pun intended) and last night I snuck in before the Dec 31st deadline of a free plunge base offer and picked up the Freud.

I mentioned in another thread that my wife and I are in the process of our third house rehab. We needed $1200. worth of materials actully twice that much - but there's only so much our account will deduct for one year, so we put off the rest until after the 1st.

I had a 10% off coupon for Lowes, so 10% off the total $1200 material purchase was applied towards the $169 Freud. In essence I got the Freud pretty much for free. (10% off of $1200 - $120 = $40 - plus the tax writeoff on the materials amounts to around $20 in the grand scheme of things).

I figure I did Ok, but in hindsight I probably should have picked up some bits for it too. Oh well, there's always the after the 1st of the year I guess.:)

glenn bradley
12-29-2006, 9:45 AM
The 7518 is cool, just outside the specs for Rich's thread.

scott spencer
12-29-2006, 10:11 AM
... In essence I got the Freud pretty much for free.

I figure I did Ok...

I figure you did "Ok" too! :D

The bits at Lowes are usually expensive enough that you'd probably do better online or through other venues anyway.

Hope you like your FT-1700 as much as I do...

Robert Mahon
01-01-2007, 9:29 AM
I recently bought a Freud 1700 from Woodcraft for installation to a router table. So far, I am extremely pleased with it and it's features. Although I probably will never use it (I also have a PC 8529), the free plunge base offer just sweetens the deal.

Also, Charles from Freud keeps a good eye on these forums and will chime in with hints about Freud products. IMO, that is also a good thing.

Greg Heppeard
01-01-2007, 9:34 AM
I'd give the Triton a look. I own a 3 1/4hp and love it in my table.