PDA

View Full Version : glueing up a table top

Bob Johnson2
12-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Could use aome ideas, looking to make a 44"x24"x5/4 oval coffee table top, no apron, just 4 protruding supports from a pedistal base. I have a peice of 20'w 5/4 and wil pick up some 6" to make up the difference. Should I rip the 20" down the center and implant the 6" in the center, or something else, like save the 20" for another project.

Thanks
Bob

Jim Becker
12-09-2006, 11:17 PM
No way would I rip down a 20" wide board!! That's a treasure if it has nice figure, etc...or even if it's just plane straight grained. Personally, I'd save it for something else that you could leverage the full width without other distractions. IMHO, of course...

Bob Smalser
12-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Depends on the board. If you have to flatten it appreciably, then it will eventually want to return to the cupped or twisted shape you spent so much time machining out.

Kristian Wild
12-10-2006, 1:41 AM
If the large board is good and flat and you anticipate that it's going to behave, I'd rip the 6" one in half and add a narrow strip of it to either side of the big one. After you cut the oval shape out, there won't actually be that much of the narrow boards left. Providing the colour matches well between the planks it may not be too noticable or a distraction to anyone but you - simply because you know it's there.

Kris