PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1642-2EVS 1 Month Old (long)

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2006, 11:07 PM
It’s been 1 month since getting my new lathe and thought I would share some thoughts.

As I posted a month ago, it was no problem for one person (me) to haul the lathe sections into my shop – located in my basement. I set the bed on a couple of saw horses and then attached the legs. Slid the lathe over to where it was going to permanently located and then slid on the headstock, tool rest and tailstock. I used Dominic Greco’s advice on building a ballast box and when completed filled it up with 7 bags of quick-set concrete (+280 lbs). Should put the total lathe weight around 700 lbs.
I upgraded from a 1954 Craftsman mono-tube lathe. Works great but there are only 4 speeds – the slowest being 875 rpm. Not really having any options – that is the speed I would rough out and finish turn bowls at. The operative word for this is Exciting! So far during this month I have turned a couple of dozen bowls and some candleholders and have to admit I am still thrilled every time I turn the lathe on! At first I was somewhat apprehensive as the lathe is physically massive compared to what I was used to and it has 2 hp motor instead of ˝ hp. The weird thing is that I wanted the variable speed so I could dial things in instead of being stuck on 875 rpm or 1400 rpm, etc. First thing I realized was I didn’t have the faintest idea what speeds to use. Referred to a few charts and played around with the speed a lot with the first few bowls and now find I rough bowls out close to 450 rpm and finish them around 800.

The lathe operates very smooth but I found that even at 700 lbs if you spin an out-of-round blank - it will still shake! Nice thing now is all you do is turn the speed down a little bit and the shake disappears. Life is good! :D

Just a couple of things I wish were different on the lathe:

The spindle lock is a push button – spindle is locked as long as you hold the button in. Even my old craftsman had a locking spindle – but… No big deal except when you want to thread the chuck onto the spindle, screw a bowl blank onto the woodworm screw, power sand on only one spot on the bowl, etc. Would be nice if you could push the button in to lock the spindle and then push it again to unlock.

Would like to see an after market remote switch assembly that you could magnetically attach anywhere on the lathe. Would just be more convenient –not to mention safer - to not have to reach around whatever is spinning at the time.

So, bottom line on the lathe is that I have become very comfortable around it and really enjoy using it! If you are thinking about getting a 1642 and have any questions – I will do what I can to answer them.

Richard Madison
12-10-2006, 12:38 AM
Steve,
you can use the screw-in indexing feature to hold the spindle while you power sand or install a blank on the woodworm screw.

Suggest you check for vibration throughout the speed range with nothing on the spindle. Mine has a defective spindle taper, noisy spindle bearings, and a motor vibration (with belt removed) at about 2/3 max. speed. Despite the fact that I contacted the "manufacturer" (WMH Tool Group) in September (my lathe was new in January), and despite numerous contacts with the Jet rep. and my authorized service company, there have been no repairs to my lathe. I am fortunate that my machine is still usable in the lower half of the speed range. Otherwise I would be totally enraged, instead of just irritated.

One of the reasons I got the Jet was because of its good reputation (on the four wood turning forums that I visit) for good warranty service. But they have finally exceeded my limit of tolerance, and I may begin posting my experience on all forums. Obviously many others have had good response (in the past) to their Jet warranty issues. But might want to consider my present/continuing experience before purchasing a Jet or Powermatic (same company) tool.

Bill Boehme
12-10-2006, 2:07 AM
That is the one really big difference between Jet and Delta. Whenever I have called Delta about warrant service on my Delta lathe, they have bent over backwards to help and they always sent whatever parts that I said that I needed and then would ask if I was sure that I did not need anything else. They even replaced some parts for free that I admitted to them that I was responsible for damaging. They even told me that at anytime before the end of the two-year warranty, I could return the lathe for a full refund -- no questions asked. The only qualm that I had was that there were a couple occasions where the parts were on back order on a slow boat from China. The folks in Jackson, Tennessee are always very pleasant to deal with.

I bought a Jet mini lathe and noticed that the warranty is written in a much more restrictive manner and that I may be required to return any parts so that they can determine whether it should be covered by the warranty.

Bill

Kurt Rosenzweig
12-10-2006, 9:51 AM
Steve,
you can use the screw-in indexing feature to hold the spindle while you power sand or install a blank on the woodworm screw

DAAAAAAAAH!! Why didn't I think of that! This is what I did!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l317/rubberhook/Picture192.jpg?t=1165762076

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Richard, thanks for the index pin idea. Duh! I forgot that the pin came with the lathe and hadn't thought about it. I took your advice and first thing this morning I ran the lathe through it's paces - no problems. Had me worried for a bit.

Sorry to hear about your lathe issues. Like most others I bought the Jet because of the good reputation - plus I also have other Jet tools that I really like. I am actually shocked that you haven't had your issue resolved as everything I had been lead to believe was that Jet also bent over backwards to assist customers. I am sure there are others out there besides me that would be interested in how your lathe problem gets handled. Please keep us informed!

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Steve, I agree with you about having a magnetically attached, relocatable switch being an advantage. I have that arrangement on my Stubby and it's nice being able to pre-position the on/off switch in a spot that I can easily, quickly and safely reach should I need to do so during any kind of turning work. And that position can change every few minutes.

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2006, 4:16 PM
Jim, on your Stubby - how is the switch magnetically held? Straight rare earth magnets or what? I figure there has to be a way to enable/disable a magnet so you don't have to use a crowbar to remove the switch from the lathe. I am content to leave my lathe 'as is' for the time being but may end up making my own relocatable switch some time in the future unless advised otherwise.

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 4:59 PM
Just a 1" rare earth magnet mounted on the back of the switch box, Steve. It's in one of those steel mounts that tend to provide easier removal. I find a slight twisting motion makes it release easily, but it sticks fast where I put it.

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2006, 5:07 PM
Thanks Jim! I was hoping that it was something simple like that.