PDA

View Full Version : Heater Size...

Mark Phillips
12-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Hello, I came across this site while looking for heaters some how. I have built a pole barn 36x40x10 with a shingled roof 2' on center truss at 4x12 pitch. Two 12x9 doors insulated. Inside steel on the walls and ceiling trimmed out, and insulated with that new bubble double sided silver insulation on the wall and ceiling. 4" concrete floor with two 4" drains. I also ran the electric on the outside of the wall with 3/4 pipe around the top and drop an electric box 4 plug down every 8 foot. I was wondering if you all thought I should get a 45,000 or 75,000 BTU Mr. Heater, or Modine, ect. Is one model better than another? Cost is not an issue for the difference in not that much. Thanks for you help and I hope I get some replies. I am going to do some work in it, and house the dog with a dog door which I have place off his kennel for the cold months, so I will be keeping it around 45-50 in the winter.

David G Baker
12-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Hello, I came across this site while looking for heaters some how. I have built a pole barn 36x40x10 with a shingled roof 2' on center truss at 4x12 pitch. Two 12x9 doors insulated. Inside steel on the walls and ceiling trimmed out, and insulated with that new bubble double sided silver insulation on the wall and ceiling. 4" concrete floor with two 4" drains. I also ran the electric on the outside of the wall with 3/4 pipe around the top and drop an electric box 4 plug down every 8 foot. I was wondering if you all thought I should get a 45,000 or 75,000 BTU Mr. Heater, or Modine, ect. Is one model better than another? Cost is not an issue for the difference in not that much. Thanks for you help and I hope I get some replies. I am going to do some work in it, and house the dog with a dog door which I have place off his kennel for the cold months, so I will be keeping it around 45-50 in the winter.
Mark,
I have a 30x40x10 pole barn and I heat it with the natural gas fired 75,000 BTU Modine Hot Dawg. When it was first installed the main fan motor was froze, the installer replaced the motor and so far it has been great. I use the heater to keep my pole barn at around 50 degrees during the colder part of the year. It costs me around $30 per month to run. The building is fairly well insulated. I plan on adding more insulation in the walls and finding some way to better seal the 10x10 roll up door. I know nothing about the Mr Heater. From what I found out while searching for a heater a building the size that we have the 75,000 BTU is the recommended size.
Are you satisfied with the foil clad bubble insulation. I have that on my roll up door and it insulates ok but the foil is a bit fragile and has torn in a couple of places. I have been thinking of trying it on another building between the studs but have not talked to anyone that has used it.
David B

Rob Will
12-09-2006, 11:46 PM
Mark,
You did not specify where you are located.
Is the "bubble wrap" the only insulation you have?
If you have a lot of attic and wall insulation the 45,000 btuh might do it.
If not, go for 75,000 btuh

Just a guess,

Rob