PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw buying decision

Jeff Smi
12-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Well, I'm back for another Post. and i'm having some trouble now decided on what table saws to get.

I have narrowed it down to probably 3 saws

1. Delta 36-716 Hybrid Table Saw with Uni-fence (left tilt)

2. Powermatic 179122K 10' Left Tilt Contractor style table saw

3. Steel City 35606 Table saw Left Tilt

I leaning more towards a cabient saw, so I think the power matic is out of the running right now. The Delta is in my price range, but so is the Steel city, now how well of a saw is the steel city ? I havn't really heard much about steel city, I do like the fact the saw comes with a 5 year warranty, and i think the delta only has a 1 year. In my last post I had mentioned that 220 wasn't a option, well I have manged to dig a trench around the patto area and get cable ran to the garage. So now I have more choices now. Since 220 is now a option.

I have touched both saws, they both seem to be of eqaul build build quality. So its going to come down to the Accuracy of the saws, plus table size. Delta's website isn't working for me right now, So i can't find the specs of the saw's table, So i can't compare the to right now. The hybrid saw concerns me since its a contractor saw with a cabient box. I want something that will last many years, and be very relieable.

I'm wondering if anyone has used the delta or the steel city, what are thier views on the saws ? i mainly deal with sheet goods if that helps any.

Thanks for any help.

scott spencer
12-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Steel City is a new company with a rich history. Not only were many of them former Delta employees, but SC is associated with Orion who makes some of the newer Sears machinery like the 22124 hybrid which has been very well received. There have been a few favorable posts from new owners of the SC 3hp cab saw, but I've never had the privelege of using one.

Have you considered a 3hp Grizzly 1023 or Shop Fox? I really see no advantages for the contractor saw or even the hybrid against a full blown cab saw.

Recenty there was a terrific deal from Timberline Tools for a Jet cabinet saw with router table and Bosch router for ~ $1100 after rebate.

Jim Becker
12-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Steel City is a bunch of ex-Delta and other folks and I suspect that it's a good option for you, especially if that model you ask about is a 3hp cabinet saw. If you can swing the heavier saw, go for it. You'll never regret it.

Mike Heidrick
12-09-2006, 11:29 PM
I believe I have seen some posts on woodnet about the Steel City cabinet saw. It looks like an outstanding saw. Definately look into it bfore the other two if it is in your price option. Before I would buy teh Delta Hybrid I would buy the Sears 22124 as iits trunions are mounted to the cabinet and the Delta model is mounted to the table. Money may be cheaper at Sears as well as they have many discounts this time of year.

For your money:
Steel City #1
Used Cabinet Saw - like a Unisaw #2
22124 Craftsman #3
Delta Hybrid #4
PM contractor or other contractor saw of quality #5

Many NICE used cabinet saw available now for the $1000-$1300 range - some only 1-2 years old available. Some people are buying sawstops and selling their existing cabinet saw. I sold my Hybrid last week.

Keep an eye on this forum and on woodnet.

Note: edited by moderator to remove a direct link to woodnet, direct links to external forums violates the TOS, please see item 3 (under E. Commercial Advertising) in TOS.

Mike Holbrook
12-10-2006, 8:19 AM
I am in a situation where I frequently have to work outside the shop, construction/cabinetry projects at other buildings on my property. I bought a General International 50-185 contractor type saw. In its saw type and price range I think it is hard to beat.

I still might have bought a Cabinet Saw but I wanted the flexability of installing the saw in one of the mobile "Woodshop Workstations" in Danny Proulx's book. I have decent shop space, but it is distributed over 2, soon to be 3 rooms that also perform some other functions. I have an Ez Smart guide and homemade work table. I just ordered Festool tools and their worktable and I am building the folding saw horses that many use to make temporary work space. Since I have to move around, even within my "shop", mobility is a major consideration.

Since I am a Neanderthaler at heart, I try to save some budget for nice hand tools. There are several new Veritas Planes that have not found their way to my tool collection yet.

Anthony Anderson
12-10-2006, 9:06 AM
Jeff, The Craftsman 22124, which Scott mentions, was on sale, which ended yesterday, for $799 on Craftsman Club. Plus they had a 10% off on all prices, which would have put the saw at $730. It looks like a great saw with a 30" Biesmeyer fence. I have seen it on sale before for $799, and will probably happen again before too long. If I was going for a new cabinet saw it would probably be this one. As Scott said, it has been well received. Regards, Bill

Peter Stahl
12-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Jeff, Get the one you really want if your budget allows. Most saws will last you a lifetime.

Jake Helmboldt
12-10-2006, 10:50 AM
The single biggest issue (in my opinion) is to go with something that has the trunion mounted to the cabinet. Some hybrids do, some don't. True cabinet saws do, contractor saws don't.

I have the PM 64A that you mention. It is a pretty good product and it serves me well. But someday (hopefully soon) I'll upgrade to a true cabinet saw. Given the price of the PM it is close to a Grizzly or similar cabinet saw (though I have no experience w/ Griz there is a plethora of 1023 owners singing its praises).

On another note, I have sworn off PM for now. I had some quality issues and their customer service was crap. Before buying a bandsaw I sent them a letter and said I was interested in their 14" BS but was not sure I was comfortable with another PM purchase given the problems I'd had previously. I didn't hear a thing from them, so that sealed it. Which is a shame, because I think the PM 2000 looks like a great saw.

Jake

Curt Harms
12-10-2006, 12:29 PM
I've had a G1023 since about 1997. I have no regrets, I use a friend's Ridgid contractor saw and am not about to trade;) . Nothing wrong with the Ridgid, but it ain't a G1023. The only thing with cabinet saws is they require a 240 volt circuit-sounds like You have that. I believe the prez of Grizzly indicated that prices are going up after the first of the year, perhaps quite a bit. Good luck whichever way to You choose to go. New toys are always fun, no matter the physical age of the recipient:D

Curt

Noah Katz
12-10-2006, 2:57 PM
The Jet Timberline deal is good through 12/31