PDA

View Full Version : Big bowls anyone?

Bruce Page
12-09-2006, 9:22 PM
If anyone’s interested, the local news paper had this add in this morning’s classifieds.
LATHE: MEGA wood lathe Oliver No. 21. Will turn 8 ft. diameter! $250. Heavy-duty sander/grinder. 18" disk, 16" drum $75. (505) 867-2751

I looked it up on owwm.com, it has a 96” swing:eek:

Pete Jordan
12-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Does that include shipping? I would love to see a picture

Joash Boyton
12-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Man, I sure could use one of them!!

Joash

John Hart
12-10-2006, 7:01 AM
Here's a pic from owwm.org. Not the same machine though. Yep...this would go nicely in my shop....a little wire brushing...a little paint....hmmmm:rolleyes:

Machine Type:LatheDescription/Model:No. 21-BC 92" swingMachine Size:92" swing - w/o tailstock & floorplateDate of manufacture:1951 - S/N 77410

Randy Privett
12-10-2006, 7:18 AM
This was posted over at Woodcentral.

John Hart
12-10-2006, 7:21 AM
Wow....ain't that pretty?:)

Jim King
12-10-2006, 1:12 PM
I couldn´t help it. I just called the lady and she will be sending me her address and I will be sending the money tomorrow. This should be fun. With luck it will be here in two or three months.

John Hart
12-10-2006, 1:22 PM
I've decided that I hate you Jim. :p :D

Congratulations! We expect pics upon it's arrival to the jungle.;)

Wally Lloyd
12-10-2006, 1:27 PM
John, I guess I will have to make a space to put it. But anytime you want to come down and have a play on it you will be welcome. I am sure we can find a lump of wood somewhere!!!!!

John Hart
12-10-2006, 1:32 PM
Yep...no doubt. Heck, I still have a piece of wood that Jim sent earlier in the year. Good luck carving out a home for that monster. I'm going to build one....but I bet it takes a year.:o By that time, you guys will be turning bath tubs!!!:)

Bruce Page
12-10-2006, 5:31 PM
I couldn´t help it. I just called the lady and she will be sending me her address and I will be sending the money tomorrow. This should be fun. With luck it will be here in two or three months.Are you serious? Pic's will be required!

Frank Chaffee
12-10-2006, 6:16 PM
I couldn´t help it. I just called the lady and she will be sending me her address and I will be sending the money tomorrow. This should be fun. With luck it will be here in two or three months.
Bruce,
Surely you are due at least a modest finder’s fee.;) :D :D :D

Frank

Jim King
12-10-2006, 6:24 PM
Yes , I am serious. The lady has responded to my phone call with an email . She is looking for someone to crate it and we will get it from NM to Houston and on the boat.

We will sharpen up some extra truck springs and anyone that wants to make an eight foot bowl can come down and have at it.

I was just thinking about it and wondering how do you boil an 8 foot dia. rough turned salad bowl.

Andy Hoyt
12-10-2006, 6:56 PM
Hey Jim. I seem to recall you saying that there are no roads into Iquitos.

The lathe might be cheap, but that chopper ride could get pricey.

Bruce Page
12-10-2006, 9:43 PM
Bruce,
Surely you are due at least a modest finder’s fee.;) :D :D :D

Frank
I'll settle for pictures. ;)

Joash Boyton
12-10-2006, 9:59 PM
so, forgive my ignorance, but how come Wally Lloyd and Jim King, have both claimed ownership of this lathe? Is it one person with an alias, or....

BTW, they both live in Peru

Joash:confused:

David Fried
12-10-2006, 10:14 PM
so, forgive my ignorance, but how come Wally Lloyd and Jim King, have both claimed ownership of this lathe? Is it one person with an alias, or....

BTW, they both live in Peru

Joash:confused:

If you check out their profiles it may become clear ...

(I half expected Ken Fitzgerald to buy it just to avoid building a proper lathe stand! Yeah, I know, a pox on me ...)

Frank Chaffee
12-10-2006, 10:33 PM
I'll settle for pictures. ;)
Bruce!!!
I never before took you for a lightweight!!!
…But now you are telling me that, faced with an invitation to turn on an eight foot swing lathe deep in the one of the most heavily forested areas on the planet Earth, you will settle for PICTURES???

And this, after you have been transporting big fireworks to a volcanically active area to play???

Confused,
Frank

Bruce Page
12-10-2006, 11:35 PM
Bruce!!!
I never before took you for a lightweight!!!
…But now you are telling me that, faced with an invitation to turn on an eight foot swing lathe deep in the one of the most heavily forested areas on the planet Earth, you will settle for PICTURES???

And this, after you have been transporting big fireworks to a volcanically active area to play???

Confused,
Frank
LOL!
Frank, I still remember the picture of the big snake with the um... dead guy in it! :eek: :eek:

Frank Chaffee
12-11-2006, 12:58 AM
LOL!
Frank, I still remember the picture of the big snake with the um... dead guy in it! :eek: :eek:
Bruce,
I think I can help you here…

Lie back on the couch, close your eyes, breathe deeply for a while, and imagine the fiery flight of rockets.

Note the lovely parabolic trajectory of rockets launched with too little fuel to attain orbit. Ahhh, what a graceful form. Dig on this while continuing deep and full breaths.

See how a line through the apogee of flight and the focus of the parabolic intersects the center of gravity of the earth.

Now Bruce, add more fuel to the rocket so it attains orbit.

Continue deep and regular breathing while imagining the many orbits possible… polar to geocentric, but all non-degrading, fueled by the power of your breath.

Now Bruce, use your imagination to construct a great snake, mouth open wide, and through whose bowels pass the imagined orbit. Imagine the “um… dead guy in it!",cycling endlessly through the stages of being eaten, digested, and excreted, always refreshed and ready for a new cycle.

Bruce, do you feel more comfortable about your impending trip to the jungle of Peru yet? If not, send me your credit card number and I will schedule you for another appointment.

Yours truly,
Frank

Jim King
12-11-2006, 8:19 AM
Andy: We dont have roads but we are 2500 miles up the Amazon and a seaport with direct service to and from Houston.
Joash: Wally is from England and somehow got dropped off here and has worked with us for some time.

Jim King
12-11-2006, 9:22 AM
Hey guys: I was thinking about a natural edge bowl out of one of these. Maybe I could finally get the bark to hang on.

Bruce Page
12-11-2006, 9:27 AM
Bruce,
I think I can help you here…

Lie back on the couch, close your eyes, breathe deeply for a while, and imagine the fiery flight of rockets.

Note the lovely parabolic trajectory of rockets launched with too little fuel to attain orbit. Ahhh, what a graceful form. Dig on this while continuing deep and full breaths.

See how a line through the apogee of flight and the focus of the parabolic intersects the center of gravity of the earth.

Now Bruce, add more fuel to the rocket so it attains orbit.

Continue deep and regular breathing while imagining the many orbits possible… polar to geocentric, but all non-degrading, fueled by the power of your breath.

Now Bruce, use your imagination to construct a great snake, mouth open wide, and through whose bowels pass the imagined orbit. Imagine the “um… dead guy in it!",cycling endlessly through the stages of being eaten, digested, and excreted, always refreshed and ready for a new cycle.

Bruce, do you feel more comfortable about your impending trip to the jungle of Peru yet? If not, send me your credit card number and I will schedule you for another appointment.

Yours truly,
Frank
Frank, you looking for a job? We could use your soothing influence after a long day in the field. Your post almost had me in nirvana - up until that last part!