PDA

View Full Version : Wood at Disney World

Gary Herrmann
12-09-2006, 8:22 PM
Just got back from taking the fam to WDW for a week. Got to mostly avoid the ice storm in STL as a result, altho cleanup tomorrow could get tiring.

Stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. My son got to wake up and see giraffes, ostriches, gazelles etc grazing outside in the savanah. The sitdown restaurant (Jiko) onsite had zebrawood tables. They were veneered, but very nicely done. A good deal of the furniture in our room appeared to be solid mahogany.

We went to dinner at the Polynesian resort one night. Sat down at the table. Embarrassed my wife again by "examining and fondling the table again." I'm pretty sure it was solid Koa. Great googly moogly, it was beautiful.

Disney was having a grant million dreams theme. My son got picked twice. The first time he got a pin, second time he got to play laser tag in the Buzz Spin ride. I kept hoping they'd pick me. "I saw this really nice table at dinner the other night..."

Frank Hagan
12-10-2006, 2:11 PM
Other places you can see some interesting woodworking is at the Port Orleans Riverside resort, in the resturant there. If you look up, you see a wooden hull, and along the wall are several hand planes, adzes, etc. used by southern boat builders. The designers did some real research on the trade on this one.

My wife and I are staying at the AKL in late February, and we're looking forward to it. I'll look for the tables!

Matt Calder
12-10-2006, 6:52 PM
Gary,

No offense, but you sound surprised. It is sad commentary when it is somehow startling that one of the premier entertainment and hospitality corporations in the U.S. of A. would showcase materials of the highest quality presented with the class and dignity they deserve. Darnit man, this is Disney and this is America!

Matt

John Bush
12-10-2006, 7:40 PM
My dad was a talented hobbiest woodworker and was very resorseful in finding wood to have milled for his projects. He had a keen interest in identifying wood species, and while on a cruise down the Rhine they stopped at several centuries old castles, where he would studiously take out his pocket knife and scrape the finish off of the paneling, furniture, etc. so he could identify the wood. Fortunately he was never thrown in the "klink", but was asked to leave the pocket knife on the ship for the rest of the cruise.

John Shuk
12-10-2006, 7:49 PM
Sounds like a great trip. I was to Disney earlier this year. I saw the boat hull at Port Orleans. It really is pretty good.
Was AKL worth the extra dough? I've given it alot of thought but not made the plunge yet.

Gary Herrmann
12-10-2006, 10:11 PM
No Matt, I wasn't surprised. I'm a big Disney fan. I just posted because I figured other wwing parents might be going and would also enjoy seeing what I did. Next time I'll have to check out the boat hull in Port Orleans.

John, I grew up in FL. My parents took me almost every summer starting in the mid 70s. We never stayed on site. I always begged my Dad to stay at the Contemporary so I could see the monorails go thru.

My wife joined some sort of Disney club and got 25% off the hotel rate. This was my son's first time and we wanted it to be special. I would say it is worth it to hear your 6 yr old get excited about watching giraffes while eating breakfast on the balcony.

Altho from a woodworking standpoint, I'd like to stay at the Wilderness Lodge if I could swing it. Post and beam construction and mission furniture everywhere. Our original flight down was cancelled due to the ice storm, so we missed our tour.

RichMagnone
12-11-2006, 8:40 PM
Disney's Wilderness Lodge is a woodworker's feast for arts and crafts and lodge style furnishings. The log cabin and frame/timber work is tremendous and the A&C furniture is really cool.

John Shuk
12-11-2006, 9:39 PM
My oldest son and I went down this past spring. He was almost 5 and I wanted to take him before he started school. I figure after that the only chance we may get is going to be 45 minute lines for every ride. I plan on taking each of my boys on a father son deal at the same age. (2 more to go) I may just have to save a few extra bucks and go for the AKL next time.
I don't always respect everything Disney does but the they know how to build a resort without a doubt.