PDA

View Full Version : Just another HF

Ron Coleman
12-09-2006, 7:58 PM
Walnut burl with some bark inclusions and a few voids. About 6" diameter, walls about 1/4" with ebony finial. Lacquer finish buffed and waxed. The ebony is unfinished.

http://mrcol.freeyellow.com/turning-stuff/walnut-hf1.jpg

Brett Baldwin
12-09-2006, 8:14 PM
Just another boring old hollow form..... Yah, right. That's a great form you pulled out of that piece of wood. Talk about wood character too. Very nice piece.

Travis Stinson
12-09-2006, 8:17 PM
Ooooo yea! Walnut burl makes me drool, Great job with it. Fantastic photo also. :cool:

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2006, 8:28 PM
Wow Ron - what an amazing HF!!! Beautiful wood, great form and the contrast of the unfinished ebony finial just sets the whole thing off. Really good work!

Ron Coleman
12-09-2006, 8:32 PM
Just another boring old hollow form..... Yah, right. That's a great form you pulled out of that piece of wood. Talk about wood character too. Very nice piece.

Thanks Brett

When I started this piece I couldn't make up my mind which side I wanted to be the top. After a lot of head scratching I finished it the way you see it. I almost turned it over about half way through the turning process.

Ron

Mark Pruitt
12-09-2006, 8:33 PM
That's an eye catcher for sure Ron! Love the form and finish. Great job on the finial too.

Andy Hoyt
12-09-2006, 8:37 PM
He shoots. He scores!

Wicked good, Ron.

Ron Coleman
12-09-2006, 8:41 PM
Ooooo yea! Walnut burl makes me drool, Great job with it. Fantastic photo also. :cool:

Thanks Travis

The waxed block for this piece has been laying on top of a cabinet in my shop for about 4 years, still had the price tag on it too.

The photos are still a trial and error process for me. The first shots of this one had two big white eyeballs reflecting from my flood lights. A little drafting velum softened them down to a dull roar. I'm used to shooting glass pieces with high gloss surfaces but lacquerd wood is just as big a challange.

My backgrounds still need work too.

Ron

Mark Cothren
12-09-2006, 8:43 PM
Nice work, Ron! Interesting shape on a great piece of wood.

Pat Doble
12-09-2006, 8:47 PM
WOW !!:eek: That is an amazing piece. Great job Ron.

John Hart
12-09-2006, 8:49 PM
Beauty!!!! The grain gives it a 3D look with lots of depth. The whole form, wood and finial is very striking. Nice Pic!!!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-09-2006, 9:14 PM
Hey Ron............If you're really bored with that ole "just another HF".....Pm me. I'll PM my address to you. Ship it to me and I'll refund your shipping!:eek: :D Nicely done....great form.........stunning wood!

Jim Ketron
12-09-2006, 9:58 PM
Sweet Piece!:eek:
Super nice job Ron!

Joash Boyton
12-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Very nice, so you finally found a timber to compete with ours eh??:p:D

Great shape, form, finish, and photography.

Beaut!!

Joash

David Fried
12-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Yeah, ... I'll go with WOW. I even like the finial!!

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Ron that is a beauty for sure. I love the form and finish. Nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
12-10-2006, 1:11 AM
That is awesome... you guys with the HF's are making me jealous cause of my lack of talent! That is totally beautiful... you did the wood justice!!!

John Miliunas
12-10-2006, 9:12 AM
That, my friend, is simply outstanding! Wonderful wood and you done it justice, Ron. Beautiful! :) :cool:

Ron Coleman
12-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. This piece of wood was a rare find and I wanted to do it justice. I was really pleased with the results too.

For information, this piece was hollowed out with my homemade hollowing system very similar to many of the commercially available systems. It was done on a General 260 lathe.

Thanks again

Ron

Christopher K. Hartley
12-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Ok Ron, what's this "just another" stuff? Beautiful work, great form and color. I'd say it's a lot more than "just another"!!:)

John Miliunas
12-10-2006, 11:17 AM
For information, this piece was hollowed out with my homemade hollowing system very similar to many of the commercially available systems. Thanks again

Ron

OK, where's the rest of the information???? :D By that, I mean, how about some details on this hollowing system of yours? It's always wonderful to see what folks have come up with in lieu of the commercial units. Come on, Ron...Inquiring minds need to know! :) :cool:

Keith Burns
12-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Excellent piece. Great wood, form and finish:) :)