PDA

View Full Version : HF HSS tool set question

Jim Underwood
12-09-2006, 7:39 PM
Thinking about what tools I need to get this season (Yup.. making out the list for Santa!:D ).

I got the Pinnacle 5 piece beginners set from Woodcraft last year, and have enjoyed it. But, surprisingly, they don't have a parting tool in that set. Go figure....:confused: So I've been using up my Carbon Steel parting tool since it needs to be sharpened nearly every time I use it.

So obviously, one of the things I need is a HSS diamond shaped parting tool. Does the parting tool from the HF 8 pc set have a diamond cross section? Or is it just rectangular?

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2006, 7:45 PM
Jim, I have the HF set and the parting tool is not diamond shape. However, the tools work really well and if you are in need of HSS tools I would suggest the HF set - great to learn on!

Gary DeWitt
12-09-2006, 8:23 PM
My favorite parting tool is one I made myself from an old chisel. Not even sure of the metal, but it seems to hold an edge ok. Just took an old cheap wood chisel and re-ground it into a parting tool shape, also tapered it somewhat so it doesn't burn. About 1/16 thick but only about 3" long, but I like it for small turnings, especially boxes where I want to part the lid and body and match the grain, and don't want to turn away too much wood. Sometimes I start the cut with it and procede with a hand saw off the lathe to finish the cut, if it's too deep.

Jim Underwood
12-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I might get this set sometime. The very least it would do is provide me with some more scrapers in HSS. And the parting tool would at least replace the old CS one. I may opt to buy a diamond parting tool outright for now though.

I made a .050" thin parting tool from the spring steel off an old Yates-American EndMatcher. That stuff is H. A. R. D. I literally melted several drills trying to drill it for the handle rivets.:eek: Finally had to resort to a carbide bit.... It works great for very narrow partings.

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Jim my favorite parting tool of which I made two is out of a steak knife from a old table setting my wife had. I cut the tips into a lopsided diamond and it cuts well. It is about 1/8" thick.

Richard Madison
12-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Bernie,
Good stroke. Mine is an old SS carving knife that my sweetie similarly rejected.