PDA

View Full Version : Beech Vase

John Hart
12-09-2006, 6:38 PM
I decided that I really needed to get back to fundamentals today. My absence has caused me to lose touch with the "feel" of things. So, I went to the firewood pile and pulled out a piece of Beech that had a bad case of ringshake. (Andy was supposed to get it...but it was in too bad of shape) Anyway, I tore off the ringshake shakes and it left me with a hunk of usable Beech.

And this is how it turned out. I used every tool I could and got back to basics, relearning everything I forgot. It stands 8" tall and 4.75" in diameter. I sealed it with Behlens Woodturners stuff and then slathered it with shellac...then spent a couple hours French Polishing it.

And had a beautiful day and a good view from the lathe:)

Chris Barton
12-09-2006, 6:45 PM
Good looking piece John. You haven't lost your touch.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-09-2006, 6:58 PM
Chris took the words right out of my mouth. You're back to pushing the bar higher! Nice work!:)

Andy Hoyt
12-09-2006, 6:58 PM
Hey, now! You said that thing was lost in transit, ya boogerhead.:D

Bob Noles
12-09-2006, 7:15 PM
John,

From the looks of the pictures, I must borrow the pharse "It don't get no better than that" That goes for the vase as well as the view :)

WOW!

Pat Doble
12-09-2006, 7:22 PM
Nice looking piece John. Great shape and finish.

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2006, 7:42 PM
Nice looking vase John! Beautiful finish!

Mark Pruitt
12-09-2006, 8:02 PM
Looks like you had a very nice day. The vase is beauttiful!

Ron Journeau
12-09-2006, 8:12 PM
oh John, the form of that one makes me all warm and fuzzy inside...you really nailed that one...and you also hogged all the sunshine,too

John Miliunas
12-09-2006, 8:13 PM
And what exactly may have you "fogot"??? :confused: Dang it, man! That's beautiful. Don't know what your forgot but, it sure as heck isn't how to turn, that's for certain. Great job, my friend! :) :cool:

Travis Stinson
12-09-2006, 8:20 PM
You haven't missed a beat, sweet looking vase John. :cool:

Dennis Peacock
12-09-2006, 8:24 PM
Great Vase John!!!! At least you got the rust and dust knocked off the lathe now. Excellent form and finish.:cool:

Ed Scolforo
12-09-2006, 8:25 PM
John, yer back in the saddle again!

Mark Cothren
12-09-2006, 8:47 PM
Well, looks like your basics are just fine...:D Keep 'em comin'!!!!

John Timberlake
12-09-2006, 9:33 PM
Great job, John. Nice classic form. Love the curve around the opening.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-09-2006, 9:33 PM
Hey, now! You said that thing was lost in transit, ya boogerhead.:D

Andy........How can you talk to John "Horsey" Hart like that? Shame on you and a pox on your Moxi!:rolleyes:

Well done John! You are back to your high standards! Glad to see you got some turning time in!

John Hart
12-09-2006, 9:41 PM
Thanks y'all for your kind words. Makes me feel all gooshy inside.:o :D

Jim Becker
12-09-2006, 9:43 PM
Nice...both the turning AND the view!

Jim Ketron
12-09-2006, 9:54 PM
Beautiful vase John!

Joash Boyton
12-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Very Nice, the wood is a little bland....one rule of thumb I have always remebered, is that if it is highly figured, make a nice simple flowing form, but if it is a little bland/plain such as in this case, a little detail, with a few coves beads etc, to define the base and rim would have been nice.

Overall, a very nice piece, but I love the finish the best, looks like you did a great job,

Excellent work,

Joash

(please note, my criticism is not to degenerate in any way)

David Fried
12-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Simple and sweet, very nice John. Don't forget to send the shavings to Andy!

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2006, 12:13 AM
John that is absolutely a beautitul view. Oh yea by the way the Vase is awesome. Nice work John.

John Hart
12-10-2006, 6:46 AM
Very Nice, the wood is a little bland....one rule of thumb I have always remebered, is that if it is highly figured, make a nice simple flowing form, but if it is a little bland/plain such as in this case, a little detail, with a few coves beads etc, to define the base and rim would have been nice.

What??!!! You don't like it???!!!:eek:

Just kidding.;) :D

I don't take your criticism negatively in any way Joash. Critique from fellow woodworkers is our most valuable asset. Your rule of thumb is correct in most cases and I agree. However, my objective with this piece was simplicity...to work on form. Been away from the lathe for a long time.:o Just getting intimate with my new surroundings.:)

Over a year ago...I was having problems with flowing forms and got lots of advice from lots of good people here on SMC. Jim Becker suggested that it is a good idea to take scrap wood, turn a form, then paint it black, so you can better analyze the form and the technique. I took that advice to heart and it has been a valuable tool. 'Course...with computers, you don't always have to run out to the store and buy black spray paint.:D

And...to anyone out there who might be struggling with "things just aren't working out quite right", I highly recommend that you go get a piece of wood that you don't care about and just do something simple. It's very therapeutic.;) :)

Thanks for your observations!

John Hart
12-10-2006, 6:50 AM
.....Don't forget to send the shavings to Andy!

:D :D Yep...I think he'd appreciate that!

Karl Laustrup
12-10-2006, 7:32 AM
I'd say you re-learned real quick John. :D

With that outside view though, I'm not so sure that's a good place for your lathe. Could be distracting.

Karl

Joash Boyton
12-10-2006, 8:45 AM
Hey, that's great, yes it is veeery nice, I just thought I would post that, for future reference:)

And yes, to those new to turning, you won't have a masterpiece in your first few goes, continue practising, and you will get there.

Also, Woodturning is a major stress reliever, stick a nice off-center hunk on the lathe, and take it out on it:D

Joash

Keith Burns
12-10-2006, 11:34 AM
John, my friend, I'm glad to see your turnings again. You certainly haven't forgotten anything while you were away ! This piece is totally excellent in form and finish:) :) I like it !!

Tom Sherman
12-10-2006, 6:37 PM
John looks like your basic's are still in tact. That's one fine looking vase.