PDA

View Full Version : Please allow me to introduce myself...(slightly long-winded!)

Jesse Thornton
12-09-2006, 5:27 PM
Hello everybody,
I joined SMC a while back, but until recently I didn't have regular access to an internet connection. I've been lurking around a fair bit lately though, so I thought I'd introduce myself.
I had a rather unusual introduction into woodworking, in the rather unusual and remote Dawson City, Yukon. Through a friend, I'd gotten some work helping out a very skilled carpenter and woodworker, Jim Williams, building a fairly simple but attractive observation deck. I had zilch for experience, but I was in the right place at the right time, when a couple of extra hands were needed. I got along really well with Jim, and was a farily quick study, so after the deck was finished he tossed me a few more bones to keep me busy. His method of instruction was very 'laissez-faire', as he would usually give me tasks just a little beyond my experience, explain the basics, and let me go at it and learn from my mistakes - and boy, were there 'lessons' aplenty!
Anyhow, I'd only been working with him for a few months when he landed two sizable contracts for the winter. One was to build from scratch a very extensive custom kitcen for a new, upper-scale (for Dawson anyway) hotel and restaurant. The other was to completely rebuild/restore two turn-of-the-century wooden train cabs for the local museum. He had a fellow working for him who had many years of experience working on historical restorations, so he was to handle the bulk of the train cabs while I, the young and unskilled lackey, helped Jim with the cabinetry. However, in an unexpected turn of events, his train builder was suddenly striken with lovesickness and took off with no notice to chase a woman across the country. This was autumn in Dawson, a time when there is a seasonal exodus from an already small and remote town, and so Jim was left scrambling to find anyone who had the required skills for a job like this. Fortunately for me, he was coming up short. Jim wouldn't have time to focus on both projects without getting seriously behind, so one day he turned to me and asked: "Well, how would you like to try your hand at doing a couple of museum quality train restorations?"
Somewhat dumbfounded, I had to ask, "Uhhh....you do know who you're asking, right?"
"I'm afraid so - but I'm desperate."
Needless to say, the learning curve was extremely steep. These weren't elementary peices either - every joint was mortise and tennon'd, the roofs were made with exposed, profiled, bent-laminated rafters, there were sliding windows and panelled doors on both sides, everything had to fit perfectly with the various intersecting components of the train engine, AND it had to be historically accurate. I struggled through the first one, asking Jim a new question every five minutes or so. And, seriously, I'm talking questions like, "Er...could you show me how to use the router?", or "How can I tell which way the grain is going?" Knowing full well who he had hired for this job, he would patiently put down what he was doing, answer my questions as clearly as possible, and resume his task for another five minutes before being pestered again. However, being that there were two of these train cabs, almost identical, after pushing my faculties to the limit for a couple of months to get through the first one, I was able to tackle the second one almost single-handedly, increasing my skill level and confidence hugely. Now, if you can believe it, my first ever attempts at joinery are in full display at the Dawson City Museum and Historical Society.
Unfortunately I don't have many decent pictures scanned into the computer (yet), but here's a few of the cabs part way through construction:
Anyhow, you probably don't want to read a whole novel here, but I thought some of you might enjoy the story of my humble start at what is surely going to be a lifelong passion. Here's a link to some more recent work I've done:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jessedavidthornton

I've got a helluva lot to learn yet, and I'll probably be mining this place for your collective wisdom on a fairly regular basis - and hopefully I can also pass on what little I do know to those who are just getting their feet wet (or like me, dunking their heads in).
Cheers,

David Duke
12-09-2006, 6:05 PM
Thats what I call getting thrown to the wolves!!!!!! Great story, I'm sure you'll fit in here well.

Welcome to the Creek!!

Mike Cutler
12-09-2006, 6:08 PM
Jesse.

Welcome to Sawmill Creek and pleased to meet ya'.
That's some fine work work you have done there. It must have been fairly daunting to start the way you did. You obviously have the talent,and Jim Williams is obviously a very gifted teacher.
Well done to both of you.

John Bailey
12-09-2006, 6:14 PM
Jesse,

Welcome to the Creek and might I say, excellent intro. I don't mind a novel at all. Hope we get to see more pictures of the train.

John

Jim Becker
12-09-2006, 6:23 PM
Talk about OJT in the woodworking arts! Nice opportunity, Jesse! There is a steam railroad that runs in front of my home and while I'm not a big train buff, seeing the work you have been doing is very nice. These machines deserve the best to preserve them into the future...it's important history.

And welcome to the 'Creek!

Jesse Thornton
12-09-2006, 7:05 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome fellas.
Yes, Jim was definately a good teacher - not just in the sense of providing instruction, but also in instilling real passion and interest. Even after thirty-odd years of woodworking, he was always looking for new and dynamic ways to approach things, even though he could have easily coasted along with what he already knew.
In a way, I was fortunate not to have a clue what I was doing, for if I'd had even a little bit of experience already it would have been a lot more daunting than it was. Ignorance is bliss! Having no real concept of what challenges might arise, I was happy to just go at it one step at a time, dealing with problems as they came up. Jim's patience was no small factor either.
Starting the way I did seems to have set a precedent though - I'm perpetually jumping into projects that push my skills to their limit, and force me to learn new ones as well. Currently I'm building a very custom cherry and maple kitchen for my ma-in-law, chock full of challenges that I've never faced before. Sink or swim!!!

everett lowell
12-09-2006, 7:17 PM
Welcome to the creek Jesse, I enjoyed reading your intro, I would like to read more fellow 'creekers start in woodworking. You say you have alot to learn..maybe, but I think you are already an accomplished woodworker judging by the work you posted so far! looking forward to more.:)

lou sansone
12-09-2006, 8:28 PM
welcome jesse
great story. it soulds like a great job. do the trains actually run?
best wishes
lou

Jesse Thornton
12-09-2006, 9:20 PM
Lou,
Nope, those trains'll be staying right where they are. Perhaps with a LOT of work they could still be made to run, but I really don't know.
A funny thing: In Dawson I also helped briefly on a restoration of a huge paddlewheeler that sits by the riverbank, and recostructing the historical facade of a restaurant called 'Klondike Kate's' putting in faux doors and windows where they were in the original design. It then occured to me the obsurdity of having worked on trains that will never move, a boat that will never touch the water, doors that won't open, and windows that you can't see through!

Dan Oliphant
12-09-2006, 9:48 PM
Great post Jesse, what a way to jump into woodworking. Can't say I have ever seen anyone put windows in with a chainsaw before!!!! I think Richard Wolf would enjoy seeing the staircase construction, right down his isle.

Jesse Thornton
12-09-2006, 10:13 PM
Can't say I have ever seen anyone put windows in with a chainsaw before!!!!

Heheh, yes, it's a very refined and delicate approach. The only place I'd put new window openings into before that was on a log cabin, so I suppose that's where that hairbrained idea came from! Though I must say, it worked like a charm.

Jerry Olexa
12-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Interesting start to WWing. Welcome and very fine work!!!

John Miliunas
12-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Jesse, a warm, warm welcome to the Creek! :) You insist on carrying on about how you will be mining this place for knowledge, yet you come to us with an astounding amount of skills yourself! That said, many of us will be coming to YOU for some answers! :D I must say, you were very fortunate in having a skilled and patient teacher but, the final results are still the responsibility of the student and it looks as though you've learned extremely well. I'm very much looking forward to more of your very interesting posts and don't worry about being "long-winded"...We love that around here! :) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
12-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Welcome to SMC Jesse.!!! Great story and great work!!! Wade on in here and enjoy your stay. Great people here with lots of great talent. :D

Karl Laustrup
12-10-2006, 8:22 AM
Great story Jesse. I can only hope to get up that way and see your work in person.

Are the train cabs finished? If so, some pics of the finished product would be great. :)

Karl

Steve Rowe
12-10-2006, 9:09 AM
Jesse - your first time at bat you enter nirvana for guys.:D Just think of it, steam locomotives and woodworking combined together. Wow! Great job and welcome to the Creek.
Steve

Randal Stevenson
12-10-2006, 9:52 AM
Saw the pictures before I read the story. Between them and the title, I was going to ask:
"are you a man of wealth and taste?
Laid traps for troubadours
Who get killed before they reached bombay?"
Pleased to meet you

Hope you guessed my name (Ooo Who):D

Jesse Thornton
12-10-2006, 4:34 PM
Well, I hope I'm a man of taste, but I'm certainly not (yet) a man of wealth! As for trapping troubadours - that might be self-sabotage!
However, I have been known to puzzle folks with the nature of my game.:D
Oo ooh

Jesse Thornton
12-10-2006, 4:38 PM
Karl,
The cabs are finished and painted, but I unfortunately don't have any digital pictures of them right now. As soon as that is remedied, I'll post some better, and more detailed shots.

Jim Murphy
12-10-2006, 6:56 PM
Welcome aboard. That's a fascinating story. One of a kind, really. Thanks for the background.