PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic PM2800 Drill Press Review

Frank Snyder
12-09-2006, 5:19 PM
Okay...I just had to be the first kid on the block with this drill press. I actually put my name on a waiting list many months back and I got a call yesterday from my PM supplier that they had 2 available. I drove out to Sycamore this morning to pick one up.

First impressions...

The cast iron castings are a little more crude then I was used to seeing on some of PM's other products. The crank for the height adjustment looked the worst and moving the table up and down is a bit of a struggle. I hope that it has a "break-in" period and smooths itself out over time. We'll see on that one.

The table extension are supported by nylon clamps. Not exactly the stongest material of choice, but they seem to work...for now. There is a little bit of flex if you bear down on the extensions, so I would think that if you were going to drill something large and heavy this might be an issue. There was also a screw for one of the clamps missing. Fortunately, I have a collection of machine screws and I found one to fit.

The aluminum fence is pretty cheesy IMO. Very thin gauge extrusion which has a real cheap feel to it. It does work, but I've seen nicer fence systems out there (Incra, Woodpecker to name a few). They've integrated a 2" dust port into the fence. Once I've got my ductwork together, I'll see how effective this is.

The laser cross-hairs took some time to adjust, and I had originally thought they they would just be a gimmick like those on CMS's. If setup properly, I can see this being a handy feature to have down the road.

The variable speed control allows you to change the speed from 400-3000 RPM, and it tells you your speed on the LED readout. A little gimmicky, but cool I suppose. I think Delta has a better implementation of this with their new high-end drill press which incorporates a depth reading as well. Changing the speed requires you to have the drill press running and the lever's sliding action is a bit on the rough side.

I did like the integrated LED worklights. They're not terribly bright, but they do help illuminate the work area.

I don't care for the depth gauge adjustment. It's a threaded screw type which requires you to rotate the collars. No quick adjustment here. The bottom collar also acts as a quill lock. Again, I prefer Delta's "screw in" quill lock over this method.

I was also surprised that the power putton, while it looks exactly like the one on the PM2000, it does not work the same way. To turn on the drill press, you pull out the red ring and push it in to stop. The illuminated green button in the center is just for looks apparently. I prefer the PM2000 control over this one, where you push the illuminated green center to turn it on.

PM did add a provision for South paws...you can have the plunge handles on the left or right hand of the drill press.

The manual skips a few steps. The gear for the height adjustment needed to be installed, whereas the manual shows it already installed. We're all pretty used to less than stellar manuals (with the exception of Leigh, of course) with our equipment, so this should be no surprise to us.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed with this purchase. I am a PM guy, but this drill press just seems a little cheaper than what I'm used to. I was also sorry to see that it is made in China, not Taiwan. For the price, I expected a little higher caliber fit and finish, but I suppose I'm just paying for the PM name and the matching paint job, which BTW...why can't PM be consistent with their color. Haven't they heard of PMS? Some pieces are yellow, some gold, and some more baby-poop than others.

Oh well...I needed a drill press and as long as it does what its supposed to, I won't complain. Time will be the real test for this one.

Al Garay
12-09-2006, 6:04 PM
You should communicate your feelings and findings to your dealer. If you are a loyal customer and they're a reputable dealer, they should take care of you. You should not have to compromise on a tool you spent good money having high expectations and leaving with it for many years.

Good luck,

Al

Frank Snyder
12-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Al - I do agree with you. I'm not always sure that my expectaions are realistic, though. To be fair, I think that I need to give this drill press an opportunity to perform its function first before I render a final verdict. I was really just sharing my first impressions of its build quality, fit and finish.

glenn bradley
12-10-2006, 2:02 PM
Frank,

Speaking from experience, I would let PM and your dealer (if different) know of your initial impressions in writing. If the DP settles in and your happy with it, no loss. If 30 or 60 days go by and you're experiencing buyers remorse, there are some fine units out there in that price range. I have had dealers refund my shipping, toss in a couple blades or other goodies and extend my warranty periods to make me more comfortable once I have declared my disappointment with certain purchases. If you're quiet about it and then "suddenly" have issues, folks tend to be less responsive. Just a thought.

Frank Snyder
12-10-2006, 2:38 PM
Thanks for the advice, Glen. I'm going to give it a few days to test it out. I'm also going to have a few other woodworkers stop by and check it out to see what their thoughts are. I will definitely let my PM dealer know my initial impressions and give them an earfull if it doesn't perform to my expectations. For the most part, I've been one to simply adapt and modify something if it doesn't work to my liking. But you're right, if you pay this kind of money for something like this, you shouldn't have to compromise. My biggest gripe is really the table...raising and lowering it is a pain. Are the tables on most floor model drill presses difficult to raise and lower? I just just expected it to be easier. I'd be interested to see how Delta's new drill press compares to this one.

Jim Becker
12-10-2006, 3:33 PM
Is 400 rpm the slowest it goes? I'm wondering if that is slow enough for using a big wing-cutter or something similar?

glenn bradley
12-10-2006, 3:56 PM
Are the tables on most floor model drill presses difficult to raise and lower?.

I've only got a small benchtop Delta, 'Shopmaster', very hobbiest design. However, by comparison, my neighbors big Hitachi's table raises and lowers just as easily as my little guy. I'd say that on your machine that should not be an issue unless something is wrong. Is the pole clean of all shipping-prep goo? Once I cleaned mine off I sprayed it with a teflon maachine surface treatment but I have since switched to Johnson's wax.

Frank Snyder
12-10-2006, 4:13 PM
Jim - Yeah, 400 RPM is as slow as it goes. And you're right about that being a problem with the wing cutters (which I also have). That may be the breaking point for me as well.

Glen - I did clean off the grease and used a paraffin based lubricant. It feels more like the gears and screw drive aren't perfectly matched. I feel like I'm using a meatgrinder when I use the crank.

I will most likely talk to my PM dealer tomorrow and see if I can return this unit. I keep finding more limitations with this drill press than I had expected. As much as I try to keep an open mind about it, I don't think that I can "adapt" to its limitations at this price point.

glenn bradley
12-10-2006, 6:20 PM
I feel better and it wasn't even my money. I had to run to Lowes for some parts and checked the Delta. Certainly not a match for your machine; no variable speed, only 4" of quill travel and less HP but, speeds 250 - 3000 and the table raise/lower was quite smooth. There may just be some "service after the sale" issues to work through. The speed issue is of course not 'fixable' so if that's a deal breaker; your search continues. Good luck and keep us posted. I gotta get a 'real' DP someday and watch these posts with interest.

Frank Snyder
12-10-2006, 7:33 PM
Thanks for looking out for me, Glen. I'm glad to hear that the table crank should be smoother than this one. The speed is going to be an issue, though, with my wing cutter bit, as well as large bore forstner bits. I really didn't pay enough attention to the speed issue before I brought it home. I think my wing cutter specifically states no faster than 250 RPM. My bad on that one.

If I can return this one, then I'll be a little more careful in my selection process before I bring another drill press home.

Dan Lee
12-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Frank
Thanks for the review. I had been about ready to pull the trigger on this unit. Only thing that had held me back was I really wanted the 6" quill travel on the newer Delta. That and some of the problems you cite will probably swing me to Delta.
Dan

Frank Snyder
12-11-2006, 1:07 PM
From what I've seen, the new Delta looks like a promising, albeit more expensive product. I'd seriously consider returning this unit for that one, BUT I can't be without a drill press for three months (or longer if they keep pushing the release date). I think that every person needs to form their own opinion for themselves, and take my biases and interpretations with a grain of salt. I'm a really picky person, so my expectations are often unrealistically higher than what they should be.

I'm not trying to persuade people NOT to buy this product. This drill press may very well be the perfect solution for a lot of woodworkers. What's important is that you decide for yourself through empirical means (i.e.; go see one at a showroom if possible and try it out for yourself) before you decide that this is not the drill press for you. I made the mistake of buying it sight unseen and having my expectations set a little bit too high for a product which is made in China. It does have a lot of nice features which set it apart from other products, which is why I purchased it in the first place (and it matched my other PM tools ;)). I have an issue with the raising of the table, but this may just be a lemony issue which I can resolve with PM or my dealer. The RPM issue is my mistake since I didn't even think to consider how slow it went. If you were considering buying this drill press, please don't let my observations prevent you from deciding on your own. I've heard bad things about other products from other woodworkers, and I still decided to see for myself, and in some cases, I didn't encounter the problems that they did and I was a satisfied customer. Were I to believe every negative opinion I've heard or read on every product out there, my shop would be empty.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Chuck Wood
12-12-2006, 9:42 AM
I feel better and it wasn't even my money. I had to run to Lowes for some parts and checked the Delta. Certainly not a match for your machine; no variable speed, only 4" of quill travel and less HP but, speeds 250 - 3000 and the table raise/lower was quite smooth. There may just be some "service after the sale" issues to work through. The speed issue is of course not 'fixable' so if that's a deal breaker; your search continues. Good luck and keep us posted. I gotta get a 'real' DP someday and watch these posts with interest.

Glenn,

Which Delta DP are you looking at? I was considering the 17-950L at Lowes. It has the laser, light and large table. Not to bad for 369.00 and a free sander!

Tyler Howell
12-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Sorry to hear it's not up to PM standards. Sure is ugly!!:rolleyes:

glenn bradley
12-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Chuck,
The price is not bad and I love the table compared to the usual factory jobs. The quill travel isn't much more than my benchtop but 6" accurate travel is quite a bit more money. On the other hand I would rather have 4" of solid quill than 6" with 1/16" of runout.

Frank Snyder
12-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Tyler - Ha ha! I agree...it is a bit of an ugly ducking. It kinda reminds me of the alien head from "Alien". Bleahhh...

I drilled out some wallplates with it this morning. It appears to drill straight. I really don't like the depth adjustment...it takes too long to rotate the stupid collars where you need them. Also, using large bits obscures the laser's crosshairs.

Since I need a drill press for the time being, I either have to hold onto it until the new Delta's are released, then sell it (if I haven't tarnished the opinion of any prospective buyers by now) or take it back now and figure something else out. I suppose it would be less of a loss to return it now. I hate being on the fence like this...

Steve Kohn
12-12-2006, 6:02 PM
Sounds like it is time to take the DP back to The Hardwood Connection in Sycamore and get something cheap, or used, or both to bridge you over for a couple of months until the Delta actually gets on the market.

Frank Snyder
12-12-2006, 6:29 PM
Hey Steve! Good to hear from you. Have you seen this DP in person? If so, what were your thoughts?

You'll need to stop by again to see the shop...I should have functioning dust collection by the weekend.

Steve Kohn
12-13-2006, 8:38 AM
I have not seen the drill press. From your review it sounds like I don't need to. I still putz along with my 20 year old, belt driven Delta. For what I do, that works OK. I have seen some drill press table designs that are interesting however.

I am thinking that my next major tool should be an edge sander. Any comments?

Frank Snyder
12-13-2006, 8:53 AM
How big? I think the Ridgid belt/spindle sander has the most to offer for the price and small footprint. I'd be curious if the PC handheld oscillating spindle sander might fit the bill. It's by far the smallest and lets you take the tool to the work rather than the other way around. Not sure what applications you had in mind...

Steve Kohn
12-13-2006, 10:30 PM
I am thinking like table legs. So I guess something like a 80 or 89 inch machine. I have read about several guys who have had them and they claim that they used them a lot.

Can anyone else comment on whether the big edge sanders are useful. They seem to be around $700 - $900 (non-oscillating versions) except the Grizzly.

Denise Palko
12-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Glenn,

Which Delta DP are you looking at? I was considering the 17-950L at Lowes. It has the laser, light and large table. Not to bad for 369.00 and a free sander!

If you are considering the 17-950L from Lowes for $369, look at Amazon. Right now, they have this model at the same price minus the $50 off discount code DECOFFER Free shipping too.

Currently reads 3 left in stock. Availability comes and goes. I almost bought this a few weeks ago, but it was temporarily out of stock.

Jay T. Marlin
12-18-2006, 5:29 AM
I don't know what WMH is trying to do, but it appears that've already begun digging graves for themselves.

First, they've introduced the entire Performax line of tools... comparable to Lowes' "Tradesman" brand, or Home Depot's Ryobi.

Next, they've screwed up a lot of Jet tools, especially their metalworking lathes. I've seen $6000 lathes that looked like they were rattle-can painted, cast iron filled with play-doh because Bondo was too expensive. It'll only be a matter of time before their woodworking tools get "updated" to being made in China instead of Taiwan.

And now Powermatic is taking a turn for the worst. Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but I have a feeling that the PM2000 is the last good tool they'll ever make. Their 8" jointer will be replaced sooner than later with something cheaper I think, now that Grizzly has a 12" jointer for the same price.

Sad, but I have no sympathy for them. They have no sense of comporate responsibility. Relying on their past reputation to cheat consumers is the worst thing they can do, and they're doing it.

Ed Cafarella
12-18-2006, 9:51 AM
Thanks for that review Frank, I've been looking into this drill press ever since I heard rumors of it. I also had some similar issues with PM tools in the past, a junker PM66 and a PM719A mortiser that looked like it was dropped from the space shuttle to earth. In all fairness, PM did make both purchases right (even gave me a new PM66 and let me keep the old one for parts!). This drill press seems to have a lot of promise so, hopefully, it will be a winner for you.

Frank Snyder
12-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Ed - Despite my initial lackluster review for this drill press, it does work and I still have it in my shop. I was ready to make the call to return it, but not having a replacement for it and that nagging "give it a second chance" voice in my mind has prevented me from doing so. I think that I can resolve the table raising issue through PM. The other issues are just personal, not necessarily functional, or lack thereof.

It really is only fair that I follow up with this review once I've spent more time using it. If after that time I am not content with it, I will post an ad for it and do my "due dilligence" in investigating the new Delta DP's before I buy another.

Since I failed to fully investigate all of the minor details prior to purchasing, it was really my fault for buying it sight unseen. Everything else I purchased from PM has been top notch in terms of function (as far as Taiwaneese tools go...these aren't Felders or Martins). I was plenty pleased with the cut quality and operation of their jointer, planer and table saw. As long as they continue to perform their duties as expected and are easily maintainable (which they are), I will be content.

As I expressed in a prevoius post, you should really see this product in person for yourself before forming a opinion. It may be the "cat's meow" for many woodworkers. It isn't fair to bash a product just because it is made in China. If it falls apart AND it was made in China, then we can bash it ;). But until then, we should refrain from making generalizations (at least I should).

JayStPeter
12-18-2006, 11:47 AM
I just bought a PM701 benchtop mortiser. I got a decent price on it, but had I bought it for more I would be very unhappy. Fit and finish are subpar. It is made in Taiwan. However, most of the other tools I own that were made there seem to have better finish. The paint is awful, and I'm not talking about the color (although ...). It looks dirty, but when you try to clean it the black doesn't come off. It's either too lightly coated or has black dirt/dust in the paint. The top motor cover seems to have the wrong screws on it and is gashed up around each. There was cosmoline covering the entire tool in various places, but the bare CI has missed spots that have rusted. Speaking of the CI, the grind is very rough.
After a thorough cleanup and waxing (including my usual 400 grit treatment of CI and easing rough edges), I can find nothing functionally wrong with the tool and still think it was a good buy at the price I paid. Had I paid significantly more than most comparable machines, however, I'd be less enthused. This is my first PM. From what I've seen, I think PM needs some QC lessons from Grizzly.:cool:

"Michael Hinkel"
02-28-2007, 9:09 PM
Have you changed your opinion about the Drill press? I am on the brink of Buying one or something similar. I would have had the PM this Past Christmas but could not get it locally. I emailed PM and they said the machine would be out the end of February. I can get the PM now for 799.00.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Frank Snyder
02-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Michael - So far, this drill press has done everything I have asked it to do. It does have plenty of power, the VS appears to work (just make sure you tighten the knob after you adjust it), and despite my initial impressions, it does its job. I just expected an $800 drill press to look and feel a bit more refined. That aside, it is a tool, and it does what a drill press is supposed to do. But then again, so do the $300 drill presses. I would still recommend that you physically inspect this drill press prior to purchasing if you can to see if it meets your expectations, which may or not be the same as mine. Not having to play with belts to adjust the speed is nice, but how often do you foresee yourself doing this? The table is more woodworking friendly than most drill presses, and the DC on the fence does work in certain applications. The t-track on the fence also looks like it could support aftermarket stops as well. The LED worklight helps illuminate the work area, though not terribly bright. And the laser needs to be adjusted just right so that changing the table height doesn't affect the laser intersection. Cranking the table height is really the worst characteristic of the drill press...I've used smoother cranks on cheaper machines. And the depth gauge...you'll either love it or hate it. It takes longer to adjust than the Delta's, but unlike the Delta's, it does hold its position. I was able to use my fly cutter at 400RPM (its slowest speed), though the bit itself says 250RPM max (I've seen some that are 500RPM max), so this may be an issue or not. Overall, time will tell how well the VS will hold up...I will reluctantly assume the role of guinea pig.

Mike Heidrick
02-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Michael be careful on this one. The new PM drill press does not spin slow enough for the larger Forstner bit ratings (it works though for some people). Also quill stroke is 4 3/8. For this price/money look into the Steel City Drill press at $396. It will give you 215 rpm and 6" quill stroke. Add a laser for $40 if you want that and build your own perfect table with the $300+ dollar savings. That or spend the money on one of the new Delta Drill presses.

Fit and finish will be better on the PM and the table/fence setup is MUCH nicer (at least it has a fence). SC speed chage is belt change. You decide how muc these features are worth.

Frank, does the PM have a quill lock to keep the quill lowered?

Don Bullock
02-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Looks like someone beat me to this, but I'll leave the post anyway.:D

Have you checked out the Steel City drill press? It has more features than the PM (6" quill stroke, paddle type on/off switch, external micro-adjustable drill stop, rack pinion raising/lowering mechanism, 16 speeds- 215 to 2,720), but I don't know the difference in price. It sure looks like an excellent machine. I saw one in person at a WoodWorks show last week. All Steel City machines come with a 5 year warrarty and the $75 rebate on the drill press has been extended through the end on March. No, I do not work for Steel City or sell any woodworking products.

Jeff Wright
02-28-2007, 10:40 PM
. . . . or spend the money on one of the new Delta Drill presses.

I've been waiting for that new Delta DP for months. Delta's website has now postponed its intro until May. That Steel City DP is looking better and better all the time. Personally, I'd decline the PowerMatic if only due to its high lowest speed, plus the fact that it looks like ET.

Mike Heidrick
02-28-2007, 11:00 PM
I've been waiting for that new Delta DP for months. Delta's website has now postponed its intro until May. That Steel City DP is looking better and better all the time. Personally, I'd decline the PowerMatic if only due to its high lowest speed, plus the fact that it looks like ET.

My Steel Cirty press looks like the alien lifeform in the Aliens movies. I like the PM look MUCH better!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/dp2.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/dp1.jpg

Jeff Wright
02-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Have you checked out the Steel City drill press? . . . I don't know the difference in price. It sure looks like an excellent machine. .

The Steel City is $479 less a $75 rebate (or $394) until March 31st. IMHO, the informal reviews suggest the Steel City is the better DP. A decent table can be had at Woodpecker's for $109 (if you are one of their email newsletter subscribers), and a laser light runs about $40 additional. I suppose a lamp would cost about $30. The Steel City seems like a good bit of machinery for the price.

Ted Miller
02-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Mike, I was just looking at this Steel City DP this past weekend at a show close by and I thought it looked rather cool, I really liked the way the table moved, felt real smooth since my old tired Jet has seen better days and I am in the market for a new DP real soon. I was able to take it for a test drill and I like what I felt, was the quill travel 5 1/8" if I can remember right?...

David Cramer
03-01-2007, 7:46 AM
For what it's worth, I recently talked to a Steel City employee by phone and I asked about a variable speed drill press without having to change the belts. I was told that one is being worked on right now and will be released some time this year. Not that it makes a difference on having to manually change the belt vs. a wheel/knob, but I just thought you'd all like to know. Check out their website and give them a call if you're curious.

Lastly, I am no expert and I only have a benchtop drill press right now, but could the new delta drill presses be twice as good as the Steel City drill press? That is A LOT of extra cash for 2 drill presses that can't be that different. Me confused:confused: If I am all wet, please explain the differences that justify almost twice the price. Does the Delta have a jet booster:D in it, if a bit starts to bog down? Thanks!

Dave

p.s. Yes I am in the market to buy one and would like to make a decent decision the first time out.

"Michael Hinkel"
03-01-2007, 7:54 AM
I've got the Steel City 15" planer coming Sat. Assembled and installed in my shop for $50.00 from the dealer in Phoenix, Arizona Hardwoods & Woodworking Machinery, who has the DP in stock The Rebate got me thinking again about replacing my old bench top DP (Which afriend wants to Buy). I was told to be careful about VS because they can get expensive to replace/repair. I think I'll just go w/ Steel City or nothing. I've got most of today to make up my mind about calling the dealer back. Thanks all
Michael

Jeff Wright
03-01-2007, 7:56 AM
. . . could the new delta drill presses be twice as good as the Steel City drill press? That is A LOT of extra cash for 2 drill presses that can't be that different. . . . please explain the differences that justify almost twice the price.

FWIW, the Delta has a 20" throat versus a 17.5", a considerably larger table (and one that tilts forward in addition to each side; the large table could eliminate having to build or buy a DP table which can cost in the $100 neighborhood), has variable speed, has a work lamp, has laser lights for guidance, digital read-out of speed and depth of cut, is heavier by ~50 pounds (which could reduce vibration), and has a 1HP motor versus a 3/4HP on the Steel City.

I am not saying that these added features necessarily add up to the price difference between the two DPs, but it has me considering waiting for the Delta's intro in May . . . but not sure I can wait!

David Cramer
03-01-2007, 9:13 AM
Thanks Jeff! I truly appreciate you listing those features. Again, I don't know if they are or aren't worth the extra price, but I guess that's obviously up to the individual who's laying down the cash! Thanks again.

Dave

Gary Russo
01-13-2008, 10:17 AM
I am new to the Forum. I know it has been a while since this topic was discussed however I am looking for a little help. I am looking to buy a good drill press. The three or four that I have that I am currently considering are the Powermatic PM 2800, Steel City 17", Delta 16 1/2", and the Powermatic 1170 17".

I saw a review on the PM 2800 that said the runout is .001, and another review on the Powermatic 1170 that stated the runout was .0055. I called Steel City and asked their technical services what the runout was on their 17" press and they said right at or not more than .005. As for the Delta I am not sure what the runout is but I have read that one or two of their models had a runout of .002, I am not sure which one or if this is correct.

I was thinking of getting the PM 2800 but then I read the Post from Frank Snyder and was a little disappointed with his experience with the Press. For the money I thought it would be a lot better quality. Maybe it is, I would like to hear how Frank is doing with his press.

If anyone has any suggestions, even if it is a press that I am currently not considering, please let me know. Maybe the Steel City has a lower runout than stated above? I am looking for a good Press with a low runout. Thank you.

Chuck Lenz
01-13-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't think I've heard anyone so far say they are glad they bought the PM drill press.

glenn bradley
01-13-2008, 11:36 AM
The PM has pretty much been a bust with most folks taking it back. The Delta 17-950 is at a great price point for what you get. I was after the Steel City and feel it is the way to go but a stupid-cheap deal came along on the Delta. It has been a very nice machine and left more money in my jointer piggy bank. I would be hard pressed to spend more on a DP for the work that I do and the lack of SCTW's 6" quill has not been the issue I feared. YMMV.

Gary Russo
01-13-2008, 11:44 AM
I am new to the Forum. I know it has been awhile since this topic was discussed however I am looking for a little help. I am looking to buy a good drill press. The three or four that I have that I am currently considering are the Powermatic PM 2800, Steel City 17", Delta 16 1/2", and the Powermatic 1170 17".

I saw a review on the PM 2800 that said the runout is .001, and another review on the Powermatic 1170 that stated the runout was .0055. I called Steel City and asked their technical services what the runout was on their 17" press and they said right at or not more than .005. As for the Delta I am not sure what the runout is but I have read that one or two of their models had a runout of .002, I am not sure which one or if this is correct.

I was thinking of getting the PM 2800 but then I read the Post from Frank Snyder and was a little disappointed with his experience iwth the Press. For the money I thought it would be a lot better quality. Maybe it is, I would like to hear how Frank is doing with his press.

If anyone has any suggestions, even if it is a press that I am currently not considering, please let me know. Maybe the Steel City has a lower runout than stated above? I am looking for a good Press with a low runout. Thank you.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

Dave Bureau
01-13-2008, 11:59 AM
I've been holding off for the new Delta to come out. large bed, variable speed, 6" stroke, lazer, digital read out, bed tilts 2 ways. was suppose to come out fall of 06 but still not out yet.

Bob Feeser
01-13-2008, 1:52 PM
For what it is worth, I have a Craftsman, Radial Drill Press with the telescoping head. I was surprised to see in a drill press shootout that it had better than average runout figures. I do notice that when lowering the table with the crank handle sometimes the table binds a little bit, due to the major imbalance of the table pulling down the front end, and no real counter balance of pulling down the rear, so the collar naturally binds a little. I don't do much in the way of greasing the post, as a matter of fact it do not grease it at all. A little coating of WD40 is all. The ride up is smooth and even though.
To me the areas to be critical of are the perfect 90 of the drill bit to the table, and the runout. I am getting both of those. Annoyingly the stop doesn't stay true to the setting, and if you run repetitive holes, it creeps a setting, and pretty soon, you are getting deeper holes then your setting.
I'm a PM fan with saw, lathe, and hollow chisel mortiser, and like you noted, the Taiwan made stuff is great. I haven't experienced the made in China alternative.
One other note is that usually most machines of the upper end included, need some tweaking, adjusting, lubing etc. to get them to work properly. Additional setup time is a given. I won't bore you with the 6 or 7 major things I had to do with my made in USA PM66 circa 2004, including removing the cast iron top, and having to drill out the attaching top bolt slots so I could get my blade parallel to the miter slot.
If you can correct what really bothers you, then go with that, if you can't, then send it back, or whatever you think of course. There are a lot of consideration, but top of the pile is accuracy with me. If it fails that test...well you know. Just my .02 cents

David G Baker
01-13-2008, 2:31 PM
Frank,
Thanks for the information, you have convinced me that I will have to try out equipment prior to purchasing.
The crank mechanism on my heavy drill press was weak and broke very easily. I replaced it with a hex-head nut that was pressed on the gear shaft and I use a socket wrench to raise and lower the bed. There was no break in period, it just broke after being used only a few times.