PDA

View Full Version : Nova 3K Motor Upgrade Problem

Stuart Johnson
12-09-2006, 4:45 PM
I have purchased a 2HP VS motor for my Nova 3k but have run into a problem with the old motor. The motor pulley is stuck and will not come loose. I have removed the set screw and tried using penetrating oil to loosen it up but no luck.

Any suggestions on removing the pulley?

George Tokarev
12-09-2006, 6:08 PM
Take a piece of soft steel and try tapping the motor shaft back while restraining the cone pulley against a couple of chunks of wood. You might have ridden it up over the key. Guy I bought my 3000 from had done that. I bridged a couple chunks of firewood with some 3/4 oak and sort of hung the whole thing there and tapped.

Stuart Johnson
12-10-2006, 2:30 PM
Thanks George, I was finally able to knock it off using a tool for removing ball joints. At least I think that is what it is used for, sort of two wedges on the end of a handle. It stuck the whole way but did come loose.

George Tokarev
12-10-2006, 5:00 PM
Bearing puller, I imagine. Examine your pulley carefully for deformation and perhaps burrs from the former or present operations. Remove all of them or it'll happen again.

Hope you don't have the infamous Leeson variable with the circlip groove. They had a tendency to break right there outside the bearing. Wish Teknatool had gone for a bigger headstock so they could have reversed the pulleys. Dumb having the slowest and most imbalanced speed that far from the motor bearings.

Other than that, I think it's a nice lathe. Still with the single speed one horse on mine.

Stuart Johnson
12-11-2006, 9:54 AM
The pully looked good but had a lot of crud inside. I don't know if that was from use or the penetrating oil.

I purchased a package (motor and controller) from:

http://dealerselectric.com/

for $460 including delivery. It was ordered on Monday and I received it on Friday. Only problem is I still need to run a 220 circuit. Most of my turning is segmented so I don't need the larger 2 HP but I figured if I was going to make the change I only wanted to do it once.

Paul Engle
12-11-2006, 1:16 PM
called a pickle fork,,, yep , used for seperating ball joints and bbq'ing really LARGE sausages made in Texas .... :eek: :D