PDA

View Full Version : seasoned hardened oak

Dick Heifner
12-09-2006, 4:10 PM
Hi All,
I need to make a bid on a job to make a couple of tumblers out of "seasoned hardened oak". Anybody know what this is or where to get it?
Thanks Dick :confused:

Dan Oliphant
12-09-2006, 5:08 PM
Dick, "seasoned" just means that the oak is air dried or kiln dried. I'm not aware of any method that will "harden" oak or any other hardwood. The shore hardness of oak is what it is. I don't believe any treatment will change that.

Andy Hoyt
12-09-2006, 5:16 PM
Dick - Haven't a clue, so I googled "hardened oak" (with quotes) and it brought up some interesting answers. No idea if they're applicable or valid; but it might lead you towards an answer. If that doesn't help, I'd ask for clarification. How you do that without looking like a dummy if there really is such a thing, I (again) haven't a clue. Maybe you could google that too.

William Fourness
12-09-2006, 5:36 PM
Here around my area (northern Pennsylvania) seasoned means the tree, log, block etc. has been least cut and down for at least one year and may or may not can moisture content from being outside in the elements.
And as for the hardening I know of no such process. And we handle a bunch of stock and worked with many area sawyers as well. So I know of no process or processing.

Bill

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-09-2006, 7:00 PM
http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/drywood.shtml

Dick Heifner
12-10-2006, 2:57 PM
Thanks Guys,
I think what they mean about "seasoned hardened oak" is that it is Seasoned and the hardest oak you can find, the info I dug up is that white oak is the hardest. I also need to rip this @ 60 deg angle as I am making a hexagone. Any body have any idea on how to do this? Table saw only go's to 45 deg. Are there router bits that can do this?
Thanks again, Dick

Chuck Saunders
12-10-2006, 4:20 PM
Cut 30deg on each piece.
4 sided polygon 45 deg
6 sided polygon 30 deg
8 sided polygon 22.5 deg
Chuck

Dick Heifner
12-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks Chuck,
I wasn't thinking, I just finished some base board moulding on rounded corners, that took 4 cuts of 22-1/2 deg for 90deg.

Brett Baldwin
12-11-2006, 1:36 PM
Just for useless trivia (I have tons of it) I've heard of "hardening" the end of a spear made from a stick by charring it in a fire. You are basically just driving off the water from a green stick I think so it is essentially ultra fast drying but the term is still there. I doubt that is what they meant though.