PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Ornament

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2006, 3:56 PM
Well I decided this morning to go out and tackle a Christmas ornament. It is hollowed out to 1/8". It is 7 1/2" long and 2 7/8" across. Painting was done by the LOML. Then it has a coat of wipe on Gel Poly. I told her I would sell it and she said no it is your first and so it will be the first ornament for the kids tree. She said it will be the start of many. So it looks like I have make a least one a year. The whole outside was done with Raffans big skew.

Jim Ketron
12-09-2006, 4:29 PM
Very nice Ornament Bernie!
I need to get on some myself.

Chris Barton
12-09-2006, 4:36 PM
Nice piece Bernie. I have been making some as well.

Gary DeWitt
12-09-2006, 8:36 PM
Nice skew work, Bernie!
Sounds like the beginning of a tradition, turning one a year. Make sure you date all of them. They'll be passed down for sure.

Chris Barton
12-09-2006, 8:46 PM
what Gary said about the skew! I still have a love-hate relationship with my many skews. I have the new Alan Lacer skew and it's a joy to use, even when your'er making a catch...

John Hart
12-09-2006, 8:53 PM
Well Done Bernie. You just reminded me that I have very little time to get this years ornament done. Sheesh! So many things to do..........:rolleyes:

Mark Cothren
12-09-2006, 8:53 PM
Nice work, Bernie! I need to start that tradition myself... thanks for the inspiration!

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2006, 9:20 PM
Looks like the start of a Holiday Tradition! Nice work!

John Timberlake
12-09-2006, 9:29 PM
Good work. Really nice contrast between the center ball and the icycles. Good start to a tradition.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-09-2006, 9:39 PM
Very well done Bernie! Much nicer that the one's I've done this week! I've got to get some kind of hollowing tools so I can go that route!

Like you my skew is rapidly becoming one of if not my favorite tool. After Chris's challenge earlier this fall, I started using it more often. I've turned complete bottle stoppers using only the skew. Most of the work on the Christmas ornaments I've done using the skew. I find myself parting off the sharp points on my Christmas ornaments using the skew.

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks everyone. I really enjoyed doing it. Yep now that I have had a while to think about it I hope it does become a tradition for a long time to come.

Ken I am with you. The skew is becoming my favorite tool.

Joash Boyton
12-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Nice work, now that is one thing I have never turned. Must try some at some point:)

Great work,

Joash

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Bernie.......What kind of tool or tools are you using to hollow your Christmas ornaments?

Christopher K. Hartley
12-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Bernie, Great Job! These are the things memories are made of. :)

Keith Burns
12-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Very nice ornement Bernie ! Great job on the icecicle:) :)

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks again. Like I said they are a lot of fun. I turned 3 more today. Got the bulbs hollowed, icicles done and waiting for the LOML to paint them.

Barry Stratton
12-12-2006, 12:01 PM
NICE ornament there Bernie! Is it your "one year turning" anniversary yet? gonna treat yourself to mayo or mustard??

Paul Engle
12-12-2006, 2:04 PM
Nice work Bernie. Quit raising the bar ...:eek: :D ok , I feel more challenged by the skew work than the orniment, I saw some done with sea urchin shells .verry interesting indeed. Did you use Raffan's book or dvd or ? for the skew work? something about a gauntlet ???:confused: How do you hollow with a skew? :confused:

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2006, 3:42 PM
Looks great Bernie!!!! Maybe next year we can do an oranment "swap". :D

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2006, 5:24 PM
Nice work Bernie. Quit raising the bar ...:eek: :D ok , I feel more challenged by the skew work than the orniment, I saw some done with sea urchin shells .verry interesting indeed. Did you use Raffan's book or dvd or ? for the skew work? something about a gauntlet ???:confused: How do you hollow with a skew? :confused:

Nope used Alan Lacer's video called the Skew or whatever. That is one good video.

Bernie Weishapl
12-12-2006, 5:25 PM
Looks great Bernie!!!! Maybe next year we can do an oranment "swap". :D

Sounds good to me Dennis.