PDA

View Full Version : Hollow form

Joash Boyton
12-09-2006, 5:41 AM
Here is my first "finished" hollow form. It is Jarrah.....all 3 pieces. After a few "unfortunate incidents":mad: :rolleyes: :D I had to revert to a new plan. And here it is. What do you think about it? Sanded to 1200Grit, and finished with shellawax cream. It is 11"x9", it is hollowed out to a scary 2mm, around 1/10". It is an egg shell, because the base is paper thin, and the neck is as well, so very very light. I like the colour marking contrast on the underneath of the form, also the top of the form is covered with rippled jarrah;)

I am halfway through doing something in the inside, that is why the inide photo has some stuff inside.

It seems like when you insert a piece on top with a little opening, it is like cheating, because you turn it with a nice big easy hole, and turn a top to finish it, and ity looks like you turned it through that tiny opening. Well this one, I had a neck in the first place, I hollowed out the whole thing, and was doing a finishing touch, when I had a lovely little dig-in, It blew the neck apart:mad: I have attacherd one photo of it, so you can see what it was like with it all hollowed out, before I knocked the neck off.

Anyway, all criticism welcome. Excuse my typing/mistakes, I caught my left hand in the chuck at 2000RPM, so, I can't type my usual 70WPM/99% accuracy:mad: :mad:

Have a good day/night/morning/evening/and everyone in between:rolleyes:

Joash

John Hart
12-09-2006, 6:27 AM
Very nice Joash. You've acheived a pleasant form with some very nice wood. Not much to criticize. I am curious if you are going to turn a recess in the foot. But regardless....Nice piece!!!:)

Joash Boyton
12-09-2006, 6:53 AM
Thanks, I was quite happy with the save as well. A recess? no, I won't, the base is almost prefectly flat, with a slight concaveness. I burnt it on the edge, which I think sets it off.

Thanks,

Joash

Steve Schlumpf
12-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Very nice work Joash! Beautiful wood! To bad about the neck but I think you made the best of a bad situation - nice save!

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Nice save Joash on a beautiful piece. I love the wood and finish. Nice job.

Joash Boyton
12-09-2006, 5:45 PM
Thanks guys, I was happy with it as well:)

Joash

Joash Boyton
12-09-2006, 11:39 PM
Do you think it would look best with a contrasting lip? Like out of a Darker timber? Also, should I make a finial lid for it? so as to make it into a large box with a tall finial out of african blackwood?

Also, what do you think the retail price of this would be?.....For when I take it in to a gllery. Just curious as to what your price would be. The gallery it will be sold in is a modern trendy art gallery, it is also one of the biggest in Australia, so......very rich/expensive.

Your ideas would be appreciated:)

Joash