PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Maple Box with Custom Hinges

Jason Tuinstra
12-09-2006, 12:21 AM
Here's another box I finished today. The last one (sycamore and curly cherry) ended up being bought by a friend of mine who also ordered this one. It's pretty straight forward except I redesigned the hinges so that they have a built in stop. I like the way they turned out as they're a bit thinner and less bulky than the last ones I made. I have to build the dividers tomorrow sometime and then it's off to its new home so I thought I'd post some pics yet tonight. Not the best pictures in the world, but you get the idea.

I opted not to apply any BLO as it would yellow the maple. I shot some water-white lacquer so we'll see how "white" it stays.

Next project: Moser inspired entertainment center. That should keep me busy for some time.

Larry Fox
12-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Very nice as usual Jason - you do phenominal work.

Dennis Peacock
12-09-2006, 1:15 AM
Beautiful work as usual Jason. Did you handcut the dovetails? Either way it's very pretty and I LOVE those hinges!!! :D

jonathan snyder
12-09-2006, 1:20 AM
Jason,

Very nice. If you get time, will you please share you method for making the hinges. They are much nicer than the usual brass.

Jonathan

Martin Shupe
12-09-2006, 3:33 AM
Jason,

Truly inspirational! I knew you would love hand cut dovetails once you tried them. They look fantastic! Very nice, indeed, as always.

John Michaels
12-09-2006, 3:54 AM
Outstanding craftmanship!! That maple is truly breathtaking.

Tony Ward
12-09-2006, 5:39 AM
I like the hinge, so much so I've taken the liberty of posting the image of it at ~ http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/newthread.php?do=postthread&f=87)

(for some reason the direct link didn't work ~ however the image and appropriate reference to source can be found under the Box Makers Forum, headed "Some hinge this one!")

Well done, great work as we've come to expect!

Philip Duffy
12-09-2006, 5:58 AM
Tried to register but the s/w seems to be impenetrabe.

Chris Barton
12-09-2006, 6:31 AM
Jason, I don't believe you really made this box. It looks like it has James Krenov's finger prints all over it...:rolleyes:

Mike Null
12-09-2006, 7:43 AM
Beautiful work and great design.

Mark Singer
12-09-2006, 7:44 AM
That is exceptional work! Chris is correct....it looks like a Krenov....and a great one at that! Perfect dovetails! Beautiful hinges! Wonderful sense of proportion! Exceptional!!!! Jason I ran out of words!

Peter Stahl
12-09-2006, 8:00 AM
JAson, Awsome box, I really like the hinge detail.

John Buzzurro
12-09-2006, 8:22 AM
Gorgeous looking box. You do outstanding work, Jason.

Dan Larson
12-09-2006, 8:29 AM
Wow Jason, that's great... the hinges are clever!

Dan

Al Navas
12-09-2006, 8:54 AM
Beautiful wood, wonderful design, terrific proportions, and VERY special hinges! Thanks for sharing, Jason.

Lori Kleinberg
12-09-2006, 9:29 AM
Great looking box, Jason. Interesting hinges.

Neil Clemmons
12-09-2006, 9:59 AM
Where do I sign up for classes?

Exceptional design and details -

Thanks for sharing.

Neil

Mark Valsi
12-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Jason,

That is one great box !!

The D-Tails are exceptional, really well executed in design and finish !

MORE MORE MORE !! AND MORE PICS !!

John Terefenko
12-09-2006, 10:42 AM
I do not post much here but do lurk and this is one project that must be complimented on. Well done indeed and greta use of the hinges. What type finish did you put on it??? From the others posts you must be a box maker so do you have a secret finish you use on your boxes that can be shared??? Thanks for the reply.

Roger Wilson
12-09-2006, 10:52 AM
I second the request for a little hinge tutorial.

Jason,

Very nice. If you get time, will you please share you method for making the hinges. They are much nicer than the usual brass.

Jonathan

David Tiell
12-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Jason,
Beautiful Box! And as everyone else said, those hinges are very intriguing. I would love to see how they are made.

Jason Tuinstra
12-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks everyone. You guys are very encouraging.

Dennis: I assure you the dt's have plenty of signs of being hand cut ;) They've been fully wedgified though :p so hopefully it's not too noticeable. Still learning...

Finish: The finish I sprayed is called "MacLac Water White Rubbed Effect Low VOC Lacquer (29 series)." How's that for a mouth full? :D It's great stuff that I picked up at Sherwin Williams. I don't think most stock it, though I could be wrong. I got the impression that with California's restrictions on VOC's they have to stock this stuff instead of their own line. Not exactly sure about the details, regardless, I really like this product. I normally shoot it over a coat of BLO but I figured the oil would yellow up the maple more than I wanted.

Inspiration: Very flattered by the Krenov comments. Wow. I actually took inspiration from a LN add I saw (see pic below). I put the gentle curve on all four sides to give it a nice shadow line.

Hinge Tutorial: I have to go into the shop and finish up the dividers and deliver this but then I'll be happy to put together a pictorial tutorial on how I make them. They're a lot of fun and I hope others can make use of them. This is only my second set so I'm no expert but I'll be happy to share what I've learned so far.

Jim Becker
12-09-2006, 11:36 AM
The "master" is at work again! Gorgeous, Jason. Special wood and a special way to display it! Nice!

John Fry
12-09-2006, 1:47 PM
WOW! Jason,

This box is super sweet. Everything about it is perfect, the design, the proportions, the arched bottoms of the sides, and I do love the "more refined" version of the hinges.

I'm wondering about the decision to have the bottom of the hinge curve away from the box. (At least it appears that is the case in the pix.) It seems that would be less stable and stress the single screw each time the lid is opened.

Very impressive work!

Zahid Naqvi
12-09-2006, 1:59 PM
Jason, nice job as usual, you are really cranking out some awesome boxes. Now if you tell me the dovetails are handcut I'd be so jealous ;) .

Howie French
12-09-2006, 5:15 PM
Jason,

as usual... very very nice work. I really like everything about this box, the hinges look great.

Howie

Brian Knodel
12-09-2006, 5:45 PM
Very nice … Looking forward to the tutorial.

Brian

Mike Cutler
12-09-2006, 6:13 PM
Wow!! I guess it's true that dynamite come in small packages. That is an exceptionally elegant piece ( I won't even call it a box). Those hinges are very special.
Well done Jason. Very well done

everett lowell
12-09-2006, 6:15 PM
Jason, I don't believe you really made this box. It looks like it has James Krenov's finger prints all over it...:rolleyes:ahh.. I was about to say the exact same thing..you beat me to it! awesome work Jason!:)

Brett Baldwin
12-09-2006, 9:01 PM
That is a beautiful box and I'm with everyone else that the hinge is great. The curly in the maple is spectacular.

I'd like to offer an idea to get rid of that screw in the hinge. To my eye, the screw takes away from the rest of the work. If you put a sliding dovetail on the box side of the lower hinge strap you could just glue it in place and get rid of the screw. This is meant purely as constructive criticism. The box is great just like it is.

John Timberlake
12-09-2006, 9:22 PM
Very nice work. I really like the way you used the arc on the bottom instead of feet. Nice touch. Good looking wood too.